NI 100: Tracing the history of the 100-year-old Irish border

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On May 3 1921, Northern Ireland officially came into existence as the partition of the island of Ireland took legal effect.
The decision to split Ireland in two followed decades of turmoil between nationalists, who wanted independence from British rule, and unionists, who wanted to remain in the United Kingdom.
The border divided the 32-county island into two separate jurisdictions - six counties in the north-east became Northern Ireland, which is still part of the UK.
The other 26-county territory became the Irish Free State, but is now the Republic of Ireland.
As Northern Ireland marks its centenary, BBC News NI looks back at the earliest days of the Irish border and how its controversial 310-mile (500km) route was decided.

It's a brief history. There is a lotta people that don't even want to discuss unification.

I was in Northern Ireland a few years ago, and I was surprised at how tense Belfast still was. Catholics and Protestants still mostly segregated from each other, and very little happened when the sun went down.

I had some hope in that young Catholics are now being employed by larger corporations in Belfast - which didn't occur in the past. Perhaps the young people could break free of these shackles of conflict. So I was saddened to read that the violence there a few months back was mostly by young people.

Can you describe what made it tense? I wasn't there so I can't see it.

Forum List

Back