NFL Owners Considering Rule Change Requiring Players to Stand for National Anthem

I've been to more NFL games than I can count and I've seen plenty of military ceremonies. But never once did I hear any politics from these events.

So --- to make the 2nd sentence work, were you stuffing your fingers in your hears gong :lalala: during the first sentence?

Commemorating/advertising the armed forces is not a political rally.

Of course it is.

How is it that playing a national anthem and expecting every marionette to stand up for it is "not political", and then all of a sudden declining to play the part of that marionette IS political?

Can't have it both ways. Either they're both political or neither one is. Having established that ---- which came first? And which is forcing its will upon the other?

Now if you're simply telling me you don't want your tax dollars spent on these types of events. I get it and might even agree with you.

:banghead:

Again ---- trying to have it both ways....

All that typing and you didn't answer the question. smh Typical.

I've been to more NFL games than I can count and I've seen plenty of military ceremonies. But never once did I hear any politics from these events.

So --- to make the 2nd sentence work, were you stuffing your fingers in your hears gong :lalala: during the first sentence?

Of course it is.

How is it that playing a national anthem and expecting every marionette to stand up for it is "not political", and then all of a sudden declining to play the part of that marionette IS political?

Can't have it both ways. Either they're both political or neither one is. Having established that ---- which came first? And which is forcing its will upon the other?

Now if you're simply telling me you don't want your tax dollars spent on these types of events. I get it and might even agree with you.

You didn't pose a question. You took a seat on the fence, one cheek on each side. And I pointed out that you did that.

Of course it is.

You didn't pose a question. You took a seat on the fence, one cheek on each side. And I pointed out that you did that.

Deflect. You lose. Thanks for playing though.

The owners have TWO concerns that put fear in them:

1. Falling ticket sales.

2. Loss of their anti-trust exemption.

There is no moral or patriotic element in any of this.
Falling ticket sales??

Attendance has never been higher than this year (so far)...

2017 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Depends on who you ask.

NFL national anthem protest denting ticket sales

Operators of two of the largest U.S. ticket marketplaces say they are seeing declines in orders for NFL games amid festering controversy over the national anthem.

NFL ticket sales at TickPick slumped 17.9 percent this week compared with the prior week, their steepest decline since 2014, while sales at TicketCity plunged 31 percent. For pro football games in September, ticket sales at TicketCity are down 16 percent from a year ago. TickPick's NFL sales rose this month, but by the smallest margin since 2015. The vendors' data reflect tickets sold in the secondary market, as opposed to direct sales from NFL teams.
LOL

Well you're quoting third party vendors while I'm posting actual attendance figures.

1. Falling ticket sales.

Falling ticket sales??

Depends on who you ask.

Operators of two of the largest U.S. ticket marketplaces say they are seeing declines in orders for NFL games amid festering controversy over the national anthem.

NFL ticket sales at TickPick slumped 17.9 percent this week compared with the prior week, their steepest decline since 2014, while sales at TicketCity plunged 31 percent. For pro football games in September, ticket sales at TicketCity are down 16 percent from a year ago. TickPick's NFL sales rose this month, but by the smallest margin since 2015. The vendors' data reflect tickets sold in the secondary market, as opposed to direct sales from NFL teams.
LOL

Well you're quoting third party vendors while I'm posting actual attendance figures.

That's interesting. Some news sources claim ticket sales are down, but others claim ticket sales are fine, and your source shows they are fine as well.

Maybe the real drop has been viewership only.

1. Falling ticket sales.

Falling ticket sales??

Depends on who you ask.

LOL

That's interesting. Some news sources claim ticket sales are down, but others claim ticket sales are fine, and your source shows they are fine as well.

Well we were talking about attendance, not viewership. The figures I posted were based on the number of bodies passing through turn styles, where are not hurting. As far as viewership is concerned, I don't know that that's down either. TV viewership is down, but online streaming is is becoming more popular; so for all I can tell, viewership is merely shifting from TV to streaming.

1. Falling ticket sales.

Falling ticket sales??

Depends on who you ask.

LOL

Well we were talking about attendance, not viewership. The figures I posted were based on the number of bodies passing through turn styles, where are not hurting. As far as viewership is concerned, I don't know that that's down either. TV viewership is down, but online streaming is is becoming more popular; so for all I can tell, viewership is merely shifting from TV to streaming.

We examined this a while back. TV viewership has been down for NFL although it's only now getting into football weather and passing out of baseball season.

What these false association fallacists fail to mention is that TV viewership for baseball is also down. And TV viewership for basketball is also down. And TV viewership for hockey is also down. Even NASCAR TV viewership is down. So this is a general trend, certainly due in part to new alternative media platforms (that all have pursued vigorously), but they like to cherrypick the one out of the group so they can trot out a bogus causation theory that they think makes a point.

Falling ticket sales??

Depends on who you ask.

LOL

We examined this a while back. TV viewership has been down for NFL although it's only now getting into football weather and passing out of baseball season.

What these false association fallacists fail to mention is that TV viewership for baseball is also down. And TV viewership for basketball is also down. And TV viewership for hockey is also down. Even NASCAR TV viewership is down. So this is a general trend, certainly due in part to new alternative media platforms (that all have pursued vigorously), but they like to cherrypick the one out of the group so they can trot out a bogus causation theory that they think makes a point.
I can watch games now on my phone; which of course, reduce TV ratings but not viewership.

A foreign concept to rightards.

Depends on who you ask.

LOL

I can watch games now on my phone; which of course, reduce TV ratings but not viewership.

A foreign concept to rightards.

My game of choice is baseball. I follow every game and I don't even own a TV.

modern society ratings don't matter people don't watch tv anymore. Polls don't matter, people don't answer phones to strangers. My family and friends know to text me. Can't rely on outdated methods any longer.

Mods, this is a legitimate news story. Please leave it here where it will be seen by most members.

NFL owners are considering changing league rules to make it mandatory that players stand for the national anthem, a league spokesman said Tuesday.

The owners will discuss the possibility of changing the rule in a meeting next week. The league’s current policy asks that players players “stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking” during the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner, but only allows for potential discipline from teams toward players failing to be on the field at that time.

NFL owners consider requiring players to stand for anthem

It's BEEN an NFL rule for a couple decades.. Did you miss that part??

Mods, this is a legitimate news story. Please leave it here where it will be seen by most members.

NFL owners are considering changing league rules to make it mandatory that players stand for the national anthem, a league spokesman said Tuesday.

The owners will discuss the possibility of changing the rule in a meeting next week. The league’s current policy asks that players players “stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking” during the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner, but only allows for potential discipline from teams toward players failing to be on the field at that time.

Nope, it hasn't. Not even a rule now. Fatter o' mact until 2009 players were still in the locker room during the anthem. That year, somebody thought it would be "marketable" to have them out on the field standing. Because at base it never was about patriotism; it was about "what will sell" to the unwashed.

All the hoo-ha about respecting the flag is exactly the same as Muslims arcing up about the depiction of the Prophet.
Do you Trumptards believe they are right?

Sent from my PNDP51M7 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Zackly, thank you. The actual issue is the national anthem but both the piece of music and the piece of cloth are fetishes and what they're going for is called idolatry.

Nope, it hasn't. Not even a rule now. Fatter o' mact until 2009 players were still in the locker room during the anthem. That year, somebody thought it would be "marketable" to have them out on the field standing. Because at base it never was about patriotism; it was about "what will sell" to the unwashed.

Hogwash...

Does the NFL Require Players to Stand for the National Anthem?

Here's what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

Like I said -- it's BEEN in the manual for game operations for quite some time. And VERY SPECIFIC. Like the part about "holding helmets in the left hand".. It IS a statement of what is "marketable". Because the NFL is a fucking business.

The players can decide to stay in the locker room until after the anthem and their ain't shit the Slave Owner's can do about it.

Hogwash...

Does the NFL Require Players to Stand for the National Anthem?

Here's what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

Like I said -- it's BEEN in the manual for game operations for quite some time. And VERY SPECIFIC. Like the part about "holding helmets in the left hand".. It IS a statement of what is "marketable". Because the NFL is a fucking business.

Yeah yeah yeah we debunked that weeks ago. The NFL rule book (which I linked at the time) contains nothing whatsoever about a national anthem at all. And this "game operations manual" has never been linked, is not available to the general public, is here (and everywhere else quoted) attributed to "an NFL spokesperson" who has no name, and even if we accept this iffy source --- it says nothing about "standing" anyway.

But no, it's definitely not the rule book. Anywhere. If it were ---- there would be no point in the Commissioner's letter in the OP about a "rule change". You can't "change" something into what it already is.

Then there's the timeline. 2009 cannot be encompassed in "the last couple of decades". Someday it will be though.

Forum List

Back