New York "SAFE" act turning into a gun ban program...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep......nothing the anti gunners do is ever intended to actually keep people safe, or to allow gun owners to keep their guns.....

NRA-ILA: The Truth About New York State's Firearm Recertification Law - The Truth About Guns

The recertification form requires that the licensee disclose his or her “name, date of birth, gender, race, residential address, social security number, [and] firearms possessed by such license holder,” along with the listed identifying details (make, model, caliber, and serial number). (“Firearm” under the applicable New York law means a handgun or other gun of a size which may be concealed upon the person.)

A failure to recertify operates as an automatic revocation of the license. Possession of a “firearm” without a valid license is a criminal offense, and the revocation makes the person ineligible to apply for or renew a license. Once a license is revoked, state law mandates that every gun owned or possessed by the licensee be “surrendered” to a law enforcement agency.

A New York State Police field guide on the SAFE Act, prepared by attorneys for the Division of State Police, unequivocally instructs officers that when “a licensee becomes ineligible to hold a pistol permit, the Safe Act requires the person to surrender all firearms to police, including all rifles and shotgunsfor which no license or registration is required.” (Emphasis in the original.)

Should the person fail to comply by turning in every gun, the SAFE Act (codified as NY Penal Law § 400.00(11)(c)) not only authorizes but requires that police officers confiscate such property: the guns “shall be removed and declared a nuisance and any police officer or peace officer acting pursuant to his or her special duties is authorized to remove any and all such weapons.”

Once the gun is deemed a “nuisance,” the owner loses the ability to reclaim or legally transfer it. State law directs that nuisance guns be destroyed without the need for a court order or other judicial proceedings, and courts have confirmed that a person has no “legitimate possessory interest” in firearms for which he or she has no license.

The policy of recertification is clear: licensees who fail to comply – by inadvertently missing the deadline, for example – face having all guns, and not just the firearms covered by the license, permanently confiscated by law enforcement officers.

Far from being overblown hyperbole, describing the recertification law as “the camel’s nose in the tent of gun confiscation” is not only accurate but arguably, an unduly benign portrayal of a grossly disproportionate regime to enforce recertification through mandatory surrender, police seizure, and destruction of otherwise legal property.

Even assuming that license recertification is “a step for safety,” as the New Yorkers Against Gun Violence member claims [in a recent editorial] , it’s not clear how much less secure or safe residents would be if the recertification process included, instead, a grace period for late compliance or imposed a penalty fee for licensees who miss the deadlines but are eligible to recertify.

Right? Who cares about rights? Not important at all

I guess that's what happens when the NRA is a whiny bitch, and refuses to join the conversation about reasonable restrictions to keep guns out of the hands of crazies. They get ignored. Grow up.
The "crazies" aren't the biggest risk. They just make the news more often. The blacks are the dangerous demographic.

I guess that's what happens when the NRA is a whiny bitch, and refuses to join the conversation about reasonable restrictions to keep guns out of the hands of crazies. They get ignored. Grow up.
The "crazies" aren't the biggest risk. They just make the news more often. The blacks are the dangerous demographic.

Shup Bigot.

Shup Bigot.
Why don't you want to talk about the real problem? Are you too busy irrationally trying to take away individual gun rights?

IKR? Crazy people also deserve to have the right to free speech and discrimination against them for their skin color restricted as well.
Oy vey!
I do think crazy people should be restricted but i dont like the way anybody wants to do it. They cant seem to come up with a way that wont restrict law abiding sane people.
Maybe thats what the NRAs problem is as well? IDK

Shup Bigot.
well, technically..... most gun deaths are suicide and gang related. If we cut that out, we would have an amazing gun death statistic.

Yep......nothing the anti gunners do is ever intended to actually keep people safe, or to allow gun owners to keep their guns.....

NRA-ILA: The Truth About New York State's Firearm Recertification Law - The Truth About Guns

The recertification form requires that the licensee disclose his or her “name, date of birth, gender, race, residential address, social security number, [and] firearms possessed by such license holder,” along with the listed identifying details (make, model, caliber, and serial number). (“Firearm” under the applicable New York law means a handgun or other gun of a size which may be concealed upon the person.)

A failure to recertify operates as an automatic revocation of the license. Possession of a “firearm” without a valid license is a criminal offense, and the revocation makes the person ineligible to apply for or renew a license. Once a license is revoked, state law mandates that every gun owned or possessed by the licensee be “surrendered” to a law enforcement agency.

A New York State Police field guide on the SAFE Act, prepared by attorneys for the Division of State Police, unequivocally instructs officers that when “a licensee becomes ineligible to hold a pistol permit, the Safe Act requires the person to surrender all firearms to police, including all rifles and shotgunsfor which no license or registration is required.” (Emphasis in the original.)

Should the person fail to comply by turning in every gun, the SAFE Act (codified as NY Penal Law § 400.00(11)(c)) not only authorizes but requires that police officers confiscate such property: the guns “shall be removed and declared a nuisance and any police officer or peace officer acting pursuant to his or her special duties is authorized to remove any and all such weapons.”

Once the gun is deemed a “nuisance,” the owner loses the ability to reclaim or legally transfer it. State law directs that nuisance guns be destroyed without the need for a court order or other judicial proceedings, and courts have confirmed that a person has no “legitimate possessory interest” in firearms for which he or she has no license.

The policy of recertification is clear: licensees who fail to comply – by inadvertently missing the deadline, for example – face having all guns, and not just the firearms covered by the license, permanently confiscated by law enforcement officers.

Far from being overblown hyperbole, describing the recertification law as “the camel’s nose in the tent of gun confiscation” is not only accurate but arguably, an unduly benign portrayal of a grossly disproportionate regime to enforce recertification through mandatory surrender, police seizure, and destruction of otherwise legal property.

Even assuming that license recertification is “a step for safety,” as the New Yorkers Against Gun Violence member claims [in a recent editorial] , it’s not clear how much less secure or safe residents would be if the recertification process included, instead, a grace period for late compliance or imposed a penalty fee for licensees who miss the deadlines but are eligible to recertify.
Works for me and for New York

New York is safer

IKR? Crazy people also deserve to have the right to free speech and discrimination against them for their skin color restricted as well.
Oy vey!
I do think crazy people should be restricted but i dont like the way anybody wants to do it. They cant seem to come up with a way that wont restrict law abiding sane people.

Simple universal background checks would be a step in the right direction.

Oy vey!

What do you mean by that?

Shup Bigot.
well, technically..... most gun deaths are suicide and gang related. If we cut that out, we would have an amazing gun death statistic.

And we are making no efforts to limit access to guns by those 2 groups.

Oy vey!

What do you mean by that?

Its been explained at least a million times. I don't care to play that game again.

Shup Bigot.

Suicide is a choice, and they can just jump off a bridge if they don't have guns.

We'd restrict access to the gangs, but liberals would cry racism.

Shup Bigot.

Suicide is a choice, and they can just jump off a bridge if they don't have guns.

We'd restrict access to the gangs, but liberals would cry racism.

Yes, and if people didn't have cars, they could just walk to the next state for Christmas at Grandma's. Your talking point makes no more sense than that.

Forum List

Back