New York Passes Beard Law

The law passed by a vote of 112 to 1. I wonder who the sole holdout was?

Hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards are now kosher in the workplaces, according to a New York state Assembly bill.

The New York state Assembly has passed legislation sponsored by Assemblyman David Weprin, D-Fresh Meadows, that prohibits workplace discrimination against attire worn for religious purposes.

Weprin said the bill was a response to a series of cases throughout the state during which employees were discriminated against at work due to their religious garb or facial grooming.

"People should not have to make a choice between working to provide for their families or observing their religion," the assemblyman said.

"It is unacceptable that workers have faced discrimination for wearing their religious attire or facial hair because it is an infringement on their civil liberties."

He said the bill would allow for persons to wear hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards at their workplaces without fear of persecution.

The legislation passed by a vote of 112-1 on Jan. 14.

"We enthusiastically support the religious garb bill calling for equal employment opportunities for all New Yorkers, regardless of religious attire and facial grooming," said Rabbi Israel Rubin, who is the regional director of Chabad of the Capital District.

New York Passes "Beard Law"

no mention of cross necklaces or a lords prayer shawl

What is a "lord's prayer shawl"?

Hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards are now kosher in the workplaces, according to a New York state Assembly bill.

The New York state Assembly has passed legislation sponsored by Assemblyman David Weprin, D-Fresh Meadows, that prohibits workplace discrimination against attire worn for religious purposes.

Weprin said the bill was a response to a series of cases throughout the state during which employees were discriminated against at work due to their religious garb or facial grooming.

"People should not have to make a choice between working to provide for their families or observing their religion," the assemblyman said.

"It is unacceptable that workers have faced discrimination for wearing their religious attire or facial hair because it is an infringement on their civil liberties."

He said the bill would allow for persons to wear hijabs, turbans, kippahs and beards at their workplaces without fear of persecution.

"We enthusiastically support the religious garb bill calling for equal employment opportunities for all New Yorkers, regardless of religious attire and facial grooming," said Rabbi Israel Rubin, who is the regional director of Chabad of the Capital District.

no mention of cross necklaces or a lords prayer shawl
I'm sure crucifixes are fine, they always were. Same with the lords prayer shawl as it is an attire that is worn for religious purposes.

hhhhmmm

now wouldn't it be funny if christians (catholic or not) all showed up for work in full nun and monk garb..... becasue they can now... if they want to. No need to conform to dress code if it is religious ya know.

16970.jpg

Good argument. Dress codes definitely should take precedence over any religious attire. I can't picture someone wearing a burqa working as a police officer for instance. The law should have allowed for exceptions. A lot of it is common sense, and depends on the nature of the job. For instance, someone employed as a carpenter can wear a crucifix or a yarmulke as it would not interfere with the job.

What if your religion includes (demands) nudity?

Dress codes are stupid of course,but still....one can foresee problems.

I'm cool with it.

But it beats the fuck out of me why NYC is getting rid of their horse-drawn carriages that have been a tradition for over 100 years.

As an apartment owner and part-time resident of the city, I can state with fact that ridership has been down. Since 1999 I've personally seen a drop in ridership.

This leads me to believe that this may be a publicity stunt to increase ridership. We'll have to see.

Or why the state of NY has a de-facto ban on hydraulic fracturing.

Earthquakes. The jury is still out on that one.

I need a rent free apartment, how many of your apartments can I have?

hhhhmmm

now wouldn't it be funny if christians (catholic or not) all showed up for work in full nun and monk garb..... becasue they can now... if they want to. No need to conform to dress code if it is religious ya know.

16970.jpg

Good argument. Dress codes definitely should take precedence over any religious attire. I can't picture someone wearing a burqa working as a police officer for instance. The law should have allowed for exceptions. A lot of it is common sense, and depends on the nature of the job. For instance, someone employed as a carpenter can wear a crucifix or a yarmulke as it would not interfere with the job.

That IS the whole argument..... the muslims do not want to conform or even try to conform to ANYTHING...they want to world to conform to THEM. The problem is WE are allowing.

if you cant conform to a dress code for work... then you should NOT apply for the job... simple as that.

hhhhmmm

16970.jpg

That IS the whole argument..... the muslims do not want to conform or even try to conform to ANYTHING...they want to world to conform to THEM. The problem is WE are allowing.

if you cant conform to a dress code for work... then you should NOT apply for the job... simple as that.

Why are you blaming this on Muslims?

The sponsor of the bill, and people quoted in the OP as supporting it are all Orthodox Jews.

Well I certainly think this is a terrible idea since it violates the employer's property right to hire whoever they like, but I'm unclear as to whether this simply applies to beards for religious reasons. In other words, can employers still mandate that employees shave their faces if their beards are non-religious?

I'm cool with it.

But it beats the fuck out of me why NYC is getting rid of their horse-drawn carriages that have been a tradition for over 100 years.

As an apartment owner and part-time resident of the city, I can state with fact that ridership has been down. Since 1999 I've personally seen a drop in ridership.

This leads me to believe that this may be a publicity stunt to increase ridership. We'll have to see.

Or why the state of NY has a de-facto ban on hydraulic fracturing.

Earthquakes. The jury is still out on that one.

I need a rent free apartment, how many of your apartments can I have?

I own one apartment, and it's taken. Sorry!

Well I certainly think this is a terrible idea since it violates the employer's property right to hire whoever they like, but I'm unclear as to whether this simply applies to beards for religious reasons. In other words, can employers still mandate that employees shave their faces if their beards are non-religious?
I'm sure that for 99% of the cases, the employer would be able to require that employees shave their beards if it is inappropriate for the job. The exception for long beards would apply to the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men and Sikhs as it would fall into the religious category. Common sense needs to apply here, for instance any dress code required by the company (example uniforms if employed by USPS) should override this new law. For instance, no one should be able to wear a monk robe instead of the USPS uniform.

Why are you blaming this on Muslims?

The sponsor of the bill, and people quoted in the OP as supporting it are all Orthodox Jews.
No one is blaming Muslims. However, this new law appears to allow all sorts of religious garb in the workforce. Muslim women, especially those from Saudi Arabia do occasionally wear burqas. This attire would cause major inconveniences for employers. For instance when a dress code or a uniform is required for the job, wearing a burqa should not be permitted.

I am sure that although they passed this law, they will apply it using good judgment and common sense. I hope.

Last edited:

I'm sure that for 99% of the cases, the employer would be able to require that employees shave their beards if it is inappropriate for the job. The exception for long beards would apply to the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men and Sikhs as it would fall into the religious category. Common sense needs to apply here, for instance any dress code required by the company (example uniforms if employed by USPS) should override this new law. For instance, no one should be able to wear a monk robe instead of the USPS uniform.

Not all mail carriers wear the uniform, but as this is a state law and the USPS is a federal entity I'm not even sure it's applicable. Though as far as I'm aware the USPS doesn't worry about facial hair to begin with.

So not only do we have a violation of the employer's property right, but we have special treatment based on religion. Two reasons to oppose this nonsense.

Scuse me but I don't think turbans are part of facial grooming but radical lefties can include them if they specify that kids can wear a Crucifix to school.

Amusing how some Christians (ok, supposed Christians) are against these kinds of laws. ...Didn't Jesus have a beard? :)

Amusing how some Christians (ok, supposed Christians) are against these kinds of laws. ...Didn't Jesus have a beard? :)

by golly make that two things

--LOL

the left always insists on separation of church and state

until it comes to redistribution

and now beards

WWJD

--LOL

--LOL

thats too much

My favorite "comply with dress code policy" while making a mockery of it story.

About 25 years ago, my sister was in the hospital with a deadly disease. One morning, one of the male nurses walked into her room, making his rounds. My mother looks at him and says, "James, what is up with your shoes?" James replied, "Oh, yesterday the hospital sent out a memo to all the nurses reminding them of the dress code policy. The policy states that we must wear 'white and/or black shoes', so I'm wearing white and black shoes."
He was wearing one white shoe and one black shoe of the exact same style.

Since Cuomo was elected governor of NY we have renamed the capitol Albany, to Moscow on the Hudson.

I've worn a beard for the past 10 years but one of my early jobs required that I wear a respirator and I was told that I could not have a beard because it made the respirator less effective.

So my answer to that is any employer should be able to enforce any dress code he sees fit including grooming as long as it is enforced universally within the company. And sorry but it seems to be a no brainer not to allow people to wear loose flowing clothing around machinery.

I saw a guy's shirt sleeve get pulled into a planer once. The guy lost 3 fingers all because his shirt cuffs were unbuttoned

http://www.safetynewsalert.com/loose-clothing-claims-2-workers-lives-in-2-incidents/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back