California Senate Passes Law Preventing Retailers From Stopping Shoplifters

My son says if they catch someone stealing from Best Best buy they can not confront them or challenge them, they have regular shoplifters, and he would be fired for confronting them

My son says if they catch someone stealing from Best Best buy they can not confront them or challenge them, they have regular shoplifters, and he would be fired for confronting them

Does he live and work in a blue shithole?

I mean, that shit just doesn't work in a normal red city or even state.

That is a reasonable thing for a large employer to do. At least reasonable from a legal sense.

However, that is much different than the friggin government passing a law that an employee cannot be required to interfere.

1. It sends a green light message to the shitheads that they have very little to worry about when they loot and shoplift.

2. It prevents small shop owners from protecting their property because it puts a greater burden on them in court to prove their actions were justified. Don't you know that the lawyers would use that stupid law to argue that the employee should not have done anything to prevented the crime?

Typical Liberal stupidity that will have significant unintended consequences.

Do you want Best Buy make your son confront and try to stop them? Or do you want it where Best Buy has your son be vigilant and inform store security if they see something? Thats what the law is.
They are if they catch someone stealing, you people just can't bring yourselves to say the theft is wrong, and should be prosecuted.
What nutburger crap are you talking about?

That is a reasonable thing for a large employer to do. At least reasonable from a legal sense.

However, that is much difference than the friggin government passing a law that an employee cannot be required to interfere.

1. It sends a green light message to the shitheads that they have very little to worry about when they loot and shoplift.

2. It prevents small shop owners from protecting their property because it puts a greater burden on them in court to prove their actions were justified. Don't you know that the lawyers would use that stupid law to argue that the employee should not have done anything to prevented the crime?

Typical Liberal stupidity that will have significant unintended consequences.

I should start taking bets on how long before California, as well as all of the blue shithole cities all over the country, simply stop existing.

I love the total suicide that they are doing and am having fun watching it.

Now that I no longer have loved ones in Seattle, I can't wait to see it burn at its own hands.

I used to like Minneapolis and now it's just a boil on the ass of the beautiful Midwest.

You guys should read what it actually says.

"Cortese hopes the proposed law will prevent workplace violence and protect staff from being forced by their employers to step-in during robberies."

"The bill does not prohibit employees from stopping theft. It does prevent employers from asking non-security personnel to confront a person involved in criminal activity. We don't want rank and file employees to be forced to place themselves in harm's way."

Employers shouldn't be asking minimum wage workers, often just teenagers, to confront violent criminals. Hire security and have them deal with it.

I Ok these are fair comments. I can understand your point.

Do you want Best Buy make your son confront and try to stop them? Or do you want it where Best Buy has your son be vigilant and inform store security if they see something? Thats what the law is.

What nutburger crap are you talking about?
The Perp is gone before security gets there and they will not pursue them outside the store, those thefts drive up prices.
you people just can't bring yourselves to say the theft is wrong, and should be prosecuted.

You guys should read what it actually says.

"Cortese hopes the proposed law will prevent workplace violence and protect staff from being forced by their employers to step-in during robberies."

"The bill does not prohibit employees from stopping theft. It does prevent employers from asking non-security personnel to confront a person involved in criminal activity. We don't want rank and file employees to be forced to place themselves in harm's way."

Employers shouldn't be asking minimum wage workers, often just teenagers, to confront violent criminals. Hire security and have them deal with it.
Can you name any business that tells their non security employees to stop shoplifters?.... all this is going to do is force the employers to not hire security and the only other option they have is to pack up and leave the state..... bye bye jobs....

Can you name any business that tells their non security employees to stop shoplifters?....
I don't know of any that do. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some managers who have told their employees to go tackle a robber with the amount of theft happening.

At worst, this is a proactive measure to protect employees. It's not something for you guys to get upset about if you actually read what it fucking says.

Can you name any business that tells their non security employees to stop shoplifters?.... all this is going to do is force the employers to not hire security and the only other option they have is to pack up and leave the state..... bye bye jobs....

The suicide of blue shitholes.

I like it.

It's unfortunate that good people have to suffer on the fringes if the insanity, but it's their choice. They could have gotten out long ago. The degradation has been apparent for a long time.

I don't know of any that do. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some managers who have told their employees to go tackle a robber with the amount of theft happening.

At worst, this is a proactive measure to protect employees. It's not something for you guys to get upset about if you actually read what it fucking says.
I don't know of any either... if you ask me this is just another false scenario dreamed up in some democrat legislators head and it sounds good to shoplifters and those who have no problem with shoplifters which seems to be the entire democrat CA voting base... what has happened to that political party?....

Had you read the bill you would see that the bill seeks to stop a business from using non-security employees to stop shop lifters, the bill doesn't say that it should not be stopped but only with security personnel.

Had you read the bill you would see that's its the biggest pile of bullshit legislation in history. It says it's to "reduce workplace violence."

I have a novel idea. LOCK UP VIOLENT OFFENDERS!!! Think that might reduce workplace violence?

So it's proactive at worst. And yet you still get pissy about it. Figures.
I'm not pissy about that... I just know democrats... they pass bills that really do nothing or do more harm just for the headlines... and their base swallows it right up like a paper cup full of Kool-Aid....

I'm not pissy about that... I just know democrats... they pass bills that really do nothing or do more harm just for the headlines... and their base swallows it right up like a paper cup full of Kool-Aid....
This is hardly news-worthy if you actually read what it says. I agree that it doesn't really do much.

Yet it's YOU GUYS who didn't read it and put it into the Breaking News section. You guys are just looking for something to get pissy about. This isn't it.

Forum List

Back