New Pots and Pans

I need a new set of pots and pans with tight fitting lids. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it. What do recommend?

Mauviel is always a good choice.

img57c.jpg

I can't begin to justify any where in my brain purchasing Mauviel. Hell, I can't identify any justification for purchasing Le Creuset.

The Wife and I have two pieces of Le Creuset.
The Oval roaster which we paid around $400 for and the oval fry pan which was $280.
It's by far the best cookware we own.

We have quite a few Le Creuset pieces:

- 4 dutch ovens ranging from 2.7qts up to 7.25
- 2 sauce pans - small and medium

We also have a frying pan and a grill pan - but never use those.

We've had most of these for about 15 years. I'd love to get the 13 qt round dutch oven and a couple of oval ones someday....

I need a new set of pots and pans with tight fitting lids. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it. What do recommend?

Just my opinion... there are two ways to achieve "inexpensive".
1) Buy lower price...but accept the fact you will have to replace items multiple times in your lifetime. Short-term savings, but long-term you spend more.
2) Buy high quality/high cost that will last a lifetime+. High cost, but over the years is less than buying a new set every 6-8 years.

We've had most of these for about 15 years. I'd love to get the 13 qt round dutch oven and a couple of oval ones someday....

I have an orange 5.5qt. dutch oven I bought in my 20's. I will soon be 54 and it is still in great condition. t is over 30 years old.

img57c.jpg

I can't begin to justify any where in my brain purchasing Mauviel. Hell, I can't identify any justification for purchasing Le Creuset.

The Oval roaster which we paid around $400 for and the oval fry pan which was $280.

The stuff is amazing. We dont use them often because they were bought for specific dishes we like.
You cant beat the roaster for yardbird or a nice roast.
Bought the oval pan specifically for making blackened fish.

I have an orange 5.5qt. dutch oven I bought in my 20's. I will soon be 54 and it is still in great condition. t is over 30 years old.

That is awesome!

Just my opinion... there are two ways to achieve "inexpensive".
1) Buy lower price...but accept the fact you will have to replace items multiple times in your lifetime. Short-term savings, but long-term you spend more.
2) Buy high quality/high cost that will last a lifetime+. High cost, but over the years is less than buying a new set every 6-8 years.
I always use option number two cause I don't plan on dying. I inherited some old pans from the passing of my grandma a decade ago and the old pans are better built than any of the new ones. My Ma uses nothing but the copper brand of pans for oil less cooking..

img57c.jpg

The stuff is amazing. We dont use them often because they were bought for specific dishes we like.
You cant beat the roaster for yardbird or a nice roast.
Bought the oval pan specifically for making blackened fish.

We use ours a lot, especially the smaller dutch oven and the sauce pans.

I know quite a bit about cooking and I still have no reason to pay for the privilege of shopping besides if it's the same meats/poultry sold at Super Walmarts and other similar outlets...... Not interested......

Your loss.
I did the math decades ago I've also checked out their meat and poultry quality...... I'm not losing anything but I am saving money by not shopping there.

Millions of cooks and BBQers say different.
Good for them but millions have been wrong before.........

Yep...just look how many progressives and liberals we have here in America for the perfect example.
Fortunately most BBQers are conservative.
My original point, that you're so obviously missing is if member shopping clubs fits your needs and budget then go for it, if not then don't. No need to defend your preference from a perceived attack.......... Of course once you start defending your preference from a perceived attack the fun begins...... :eusa_whistle:
:D

I use a pressure cooker for those items.

My skillets are cast iron, properly seasoned the rest is Revereware (copper bottoms) that I've been using for decades. No complaints here. I tried Calphalon for years, personally don't like it, aluminium doesn't cook evenly.

I recall reading about the auction of Marilyn Monroe's personal items. It included a set of yellow Le Creuset, which sold for over $25K!

My set....
Orange Le Crueset 5.5 Dutch oven... da Bomb. Just simply the best. You can't harm these things if you tried. Mine is over 30 years old and has one tiny enamel chip on the handle, don't remember what even happened.
All Clad Stainless set...general stuff. Excellent...but a little hard to clean.
Anolon Advanced 12" frying pan...large, deep and with continuous rounded edge for easy flip stirring. Love this pan. I bought it for the large size..I think $60.
Update 16" Stainless Frying pan...yep 16". I use it when cooking for 6-8 people. Paid close to $100 for it but it is an indestructible beast.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I spent so much time at the Costco site I almost booked a trip to Italy. I may just break down and buy some Le Crueset.

My skillets are cast iron, properly seasoned the rest is Revereware (copper bottoms) that I've been using for decades. No complaints here. I tried Calphalon for years, personally don't like it, aluminium doesn't cook evenly.

Most of my stuff is cast of all makes and steel De Buyer pans.
I have a few Calphalon and they do okay for basic stuff but anywhere I want a pan that holds heat it's cast.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new Field #10 cast iron pan.
A little pricey at $160 but I've heard great things about em.

Field Cast Iron Skillet

To each his own.
I despise cast iron pans. Too heavy to properly and evenly pan fry foods and keep evenly seasoned.
The best method of pan frying is tossing to both evenly cook and evenly season/flavor.
Cast iron is waay too heavy to do this unless you have herculean wrist.

Buffets-Toss-Asian-Flair-into-the-Mix-by-Adding-Mongolian-Stir-Fry-to-the-Menu.jpg

Field Cast Iron Skillet

To each his own.
I despise cast iron pans. Too heavy to properly and evenly pan fry foods and keep evenly seasoned.
The best method of pan frying is tossing to both evenly cook and evenly season/flavor.

View attachment 239867

I've never seen anyone tossing a couple of steaks.
And for baking you cant beat cast iron.

Field Cast Iron Skillet

To each his own.

View attachment 239867

No but for steaks, the best method is to tip the pan and spoon the butter over the top almost continuously.
I am glad you like cast, if that is how you like to do it - 5 stars.
Just for me, I like the control of stainless for cook top, and enamel coated cast iron for oven.

Field Cast Iron Skillet

To each his own.

View attachment 239867

No but for steaks, the best method is to tip the pan and spoon the butter over the top almost continuously.
I am glad you like cast, if that is how you like to do it - 5 stars.
Just for me, I like the control of stainless for cook top, and enamel coated cast iron for oven.

I love my Le Creuset but plane old cast iron when properly prepped and seasoned kicks ass.
The old cast pans came nice and slick,the new ones require some work to make them serviceable.
A good sanding followed by sugar blasting leaves a great surface for the polymerized oils to attach to.

The new pan I ordered is built the way the old pans were made...nice and slick.

Forum List

Back