New Mexico Teacher In Trouble For 'Santa Is White' Comments

Well then we agree here.

I'm not saying to force anyone to accept a black santa, or force a company to only be able to depict santa as an asian, I'm just saying it's dumb to say his skin color is "white" - absolutely - when obviously he's just an imaginary made up thing that's been molded over the years to better fit various cultures, etc.

oh, that part is true, absolutely.

the original figure of St. Nicholas from whom Santa is derived was a 4th century Greek Bishop, an active participant in the Council of Nycea and one of the most venerated Saints both in Latin and Eastern Churches. As Greek he is obviously Caucasian or white, so Megyn Kelly's remarks are factually true, but the teacher in the school was wrong to make a holiday about race.

Caucasian and white are not the same thing. Many Caucasians have dark skin.

it is the same. those are synonyms., albeit "white" is not factually very correct description.

yes, a lot of Caucasians have very dark skin, as the color of skin is NOT the main determinant of Caucasian ( white) race.

Santa-Claus-Hamas.jpg

the original figure of St. Nicholas from whom Santa is derived was a 4th century Greek Bishop, an active participant in the Council of Nycea and one of the most venerated Saints both in Latin and Eastern Churches. As Greek he is obviously Caucasian or white, so Megyn Kelly's remarks are factually true, but the teacher in the school was wrong to make a holiday about race.

Why must we be "factually true" with regards to skin color, but not "factually true" when it comes to things like the elf factory and flying reindeer? Did St. Nick have a flying sleigh in real life? Did he live in the northpole?

Why do accept this pick-and-chose policy rather than just being 100% consistent and saying everything is up for grabs?

it is not a skin color but a race origin.

race is determined by much more complex characteristics than skin color only.

St. Nicholas has absolutely nothing to do with North pole :rolleyes:

and everything is NOT up for grabs as historic figure of St. Nicholas is not a fairy tale and he was a Greek Bishop and as such WAS white.

sorry, I won't repeat idiocy for political correctness reasons. St. Nicholas was not black(negroid)race

Last edited:

Why must we be "factually true" with regards to skin color, but not "factually true" when it comes to things like the elf factory and flying reindeer? Did St. Nick have a flying sleigh in real life? Did he live in the northpole?

Why do accept this pick-and-chose policy rather than just being 100% consistent and saying everything is up for grabs?

Again, though. The original Santa is "based" loosely off of the original St. Nick - right? Given that we already agreed that it's OK to change his location, change the fact he's magical and runs a factory of elves, owns flying deer, can make it to everyone's house in 1 night on a magic sleigh, is immortal, etc, I think it's OK to also accept a change in race.

Again, though. The original Santa is "based" loosely off of the original St. Nick - right? Given that we already agreed that it's OK to change his location, change the fact he's magical and runs a factory of elves, owns flying deer, can make it to everyone's house in 1 night on a magic sleigh, is immortal, etc, I think it's OK to also accept a change in race.

Santa can be depicted anyway you want him - I could not care less :D.

St. Nicholas was a 4th century Bishop of Myra and was Caucasian( white).

Of course Santa Claus is white. If he was black there is no way he'd be able to deliver all those presents in one night with his sleigh getting pulled over and searched by the cops after ever other stop.

Well all I can say is; thank God for St Nicholas!

Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One legend[27] tells how during a terrible famine, a malicious butcher lured three little children into his house, where he killed them, placing their remains in a barrel to cure, planning to sell them off as ham. Saint Nicholas, visiting the region to care for the hungry, not only saw through the butcher's horrific crime but also resurrected the three boys from the barrel by his prayers.
Another version of this story, possibly formed around the eleventh century, claims that the butcher's victims were instead three clerks who wished to stay the night. The man murdered them, and was advised by his wife to dispose of them by turning them into meat pies. The Saint saw through this and brought the men back to life.

In his most famous exploit,[28] a poor man had three daughters but could not afford a proper dowry for them. This meant that they would remain unmarried and probably, in absence of any other possible employment, would have to become prostitutes.
Hearing of the girls' plight, Nicholas decided to help them, but being too modest to help the family in public (or to save them the humiliation of accepting charity), he went to the house under the cover of night and threw three purses (one for each daughter) filled with gold coins through the window opening into the house.

One version has him throwing one purse for three consecutive nights. Another has him throwing the purses over a period of three years, each time the night before one of the daughters comes of age. Invariably, the third time the father lies in wait, trying to discover the identity of their benefactor. In one version the father confronts the saint, only to have Saint Nicholas say it is not him he should thank, but God alone.
In another version, Nicholas learns of the poor man's plan and drops the third bag down the chimney instead; a variant holds that the daughter had washed her stockings that evening and hung them over the embers to dry, and that the bag of gold fell into the stocking.

#####

St Nicholas...all around good guy...working for good not evil.

Last edited:
It looks to me like this modern day Turkish guy would make a great Santa.
th

But that teacher was absolutely wrong to say that to any student no matter what their skin color is.

Santa is based on a real person Saint Nicholas and he is part of the European culture.

All of this talk about Christ in Christmas and Santa is trying to make the holiday secular and to wipe out the European Western Heritage.

The Story of St. Nick
http://robwrite.hubpages.com/hub/The-Real-Story-Behind-SANTA-CLAUS

Last edited:
Santa was of North European origin.
Given there were few or no black people living in that area at the time the stories were created, it's highly likely he was white.
Saying that, a fictional persona could be any colour you happen to fancy as we saw with Felix leiter, or perhaps, "darker", as time went on.

I have concluded, the teacher is a dickhead.

But that teacher was absolutely wrong to say that to any student no matter what their skin color is.

Santa is based on a real person Saint Nicholas and he is part of the European culture.

All of this talk about Christ in Christmas and Santa is trying to make the holiday secular and to wipe out the European Western Heritage.

I think the moment we took St. Nick and changed him to live in the North Pole, and changed him to have an elf factory, and changed him to be magical, and changed him to be immortal, and changed him to have flying deer and a flying sleigh, and changed him to a guy who climbs down chimneys one night a year, we also opened the door to a potential change in skin color/ethnicity.

You can’t change so many core aspects about a person and then get upset when someone else changes just one more.

Santa comes from a Northern European tradition. Of course, he's white, just like Odin, Thor, and King Arthur.

Would we have a black kid dress up like Odin, Thor, or King Arthur?

Santa comes from a Northern European tradition. Of course, he's white, just like Odin, Thor, and King Arthur.

Would we have a black kid dress up like Odin, Thor, or King Arthur?

So any magical character that comes from "a northern European tradition" must be white? Don't understand your point.

if that were my child , I'd have gotten worked up to. Maybe not to the point of making it national news. That's just stupid. But you're damn right I'd have been pissed.

I'm talking about the whole "Santa is white" issue period. It's just so stupid. He's not real. He's a mythological figure and you've got a national debate about his race. The whole thing is fucking waste of time.

True.

So why did Ms. Kelly find it necessary to go there to begin with.

To assert an element of her heritage that was made in her ancestors' image? I'm not trying to make excuses, but it cuts both ways. Before Europeans arrived on the scene, tribal Africans made religious icons of their gods in their own image; and I'm guessing their descendents wouldn't take too kindly to an Ashanti god/deity being depicted as white.

Forum List

Back