New Jersey plane crash kills Blue Origin astronaut who flew with William Shatner

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
It is always sad when an aircraft crashes but I guess this is the risk one is willing to assume when you really have a love for flying. Some of the comments regarding the aircraft they were flying are kind of idiotic but I guess that's to be expected.

New Jersey plane crash kills Blue Origin astronaut who flew with William Shatner
A Blue Origin astronaut who flew on a Blue Origin rocket with William Shatner has died in a New Jersey plane crash.

Glenn M. de Vries, 49, and Thomas P. Fischer, 54, died when a single-engine Cessna 172 crashed on Thursday in Hampton Township.

William-Shatner-Blue-Origin.jpg

This undated photo made available by Blue Origin in October 2021 shows, from left, Chris Boshuizen, William Shatner, Audrey Powers and Glen de Vries. (Blue Origin via AP) (AP Newsroom)

"We are devastated to hear of the sudden passing of Glen de Vries. He brought so much life and energy to the entire Blue Origin team and to his fellow crewmates. His passion for aviation, his charitable work, and his dedication to his craft will long be revered and admired," Blue Origin tweeted on Thursday.

Blue-Origin-Shatner-rocket.jpg

Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket launches carrying passengers William Shatner, Chris Boshuizen, Audrey Powers and Glen de Vries from its spaceport near Van Horn, Texas, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2021. (AP Photo/LM Otero) (AP Photo/LM Otero / AP Newsroom)
De Vries was part of the crew that flew on Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket on Oct. 13 with William Shatner.

De Vries previously said that it is an "incredible opportunity" to work with Blue Origin and advance the space industry.

"I’ve spent my entire career working to extend people’s lives. However, with limited materials and energy on Earth, extending our reach into space can help humanity continue to thrive," de Vries said. "Furthermore, astronauts can experience the 'overview effect,' gaining a new perspective on how fragile and precious our planet, those resources, and our civilization are. Playing a part in advancing the space industry and one day making those resources and that understanding available to everyone, is an incredible opportunity."

Fox News' Lucas Manfredi and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Wait, don't tell me: He was wearing a red shirt when he crashed?

It is always sad when an aircraft crashes but I guess this is the risk one is willing to assume when you really have a love for flying. Some of the comments regarding the aircraft they were flying are kind of idiotic but I guess that's to be expected.
Eventually Elon and Bezos will have a failed mission. As long as they know the rules.

How many accidents did Nasa have over the yrs

Law of probabilities are magnified when blasting off

Eventually Elon and Bezos will have a failed mission. As long as they know the rules.

How many accidents did Nasa have over the yrs

Law of probabilities are magnified when blasting off

I looked it up. Through the whole history of the US space program, the death toll was about 23. Add the pilots who died in more routine training flights and civilians killed on the ground in launch accidents, and the number is up around 150. A lot of former WW2 pilots died as test pilots when NASA was strapping rocket engines onto anything that had wings.

In their typical vodka-swilling, ham-fisted fashion, Russia has fared much worse. In just one 1960 Soviet launch accident about 160 people on the ground were killed, including some prominent Russian space officials. There have also been dozens of people dying in Chinese and Russian space accidents, but the numbers are sketchy.

Last edited:
I looked it up. Through the whole history of the US space program, the death toll was about 23. Add the pilots who died in more routine training flights and civilians killed on the ground in launch accidents, and the number is up around 150.

Russia has fared much worse. In just one 1960 Soviet launch accident about 160 people on the ground were killed, including some prominent Russian space officials. There have also been dozens of people dying in Chinese and Russian space accidents, but the numbers are sketchy.
I watched that Challenger flight live on the tube.......................Damned that was a sad sad day

I'm sorry to hear... RIP Glen.:(

This undated photo made available by Blue Origin in October 2021 shows, from left, Chris Boshuizen, William Shatner, Audrey Powers and Glen de Vries. (Blue Origin via AP) (AP Newsroom)

1636770134335.png

Forum List

Back