New "Clean Start" Policy on Creating Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the mods now get pissed when you have multiple threads on the same topic but when you have a thread about Russian collusion titled "This is bullshit" you can't blame someone for not being able to find that thread anywhere. The title was poor and didn't give a hint what the OP was about.

Or threads closed because they talk about birtherism. Apparently staff has decided some political issues and dissent on those issues is simply not allowed.

The very last thing I would have approved is banned words, so many words or sentences "on topic", etc. It's a discussion and people don't have time for trying to remember the latest new rule....and y'all come up with them like clockwork

Good luck with it but in all honesty it's doomed. Human nature always prevails

And yet -- mods here CANT interfere with opinions, assertions, bias because we cant ACT on content UNLESS it's specified in the simplest forum rules ever... 90% of what we do is keep threads on topic.. That's a sweet spot and a win... Sorry you can't abide by being restrained from taking off and just flaming folks..

Only rule you have to remember to avoid most moderation here is --- Honor the topic in every post..

And if you're not spewing pedo, beasty, family accusations or threatening a member or annihilating a whole party or group - -- you'll probably never hear from us..

Oh please, I know better.

Every couple of months you trot out new rules and nothing changes. Then you trot out new rules worded differently but the same rules lol

Lighten up... eventually people tire of it. I know I'm not going to proofread comments to assure I have no banned words or a certain number of words or sentences.

You're overthinking and from reading this thread it won't end well..

Excellent post and so true.

Come let us reason together and stop treating us like little children. is that too much to ask?

It would be interesting to hear why USMB suddenly changed their policy.

We all are bearing witness to drastic changes in America as we speak.

These changes being sparked by mob rule.

The mob has their narrative and corporations, cities and states are caving in to it even though there is no truth to the narrative.

Those of us who have read history and how totalitarian regimes manage to gain power realize all too well what is now happening in America.

A very sad time.

I don't know if it's all that; totalitarian regimes and such.

The changes have to do with the upcoming Presidential election.

The very last thing I would have approved is banned words, so many words or sentences "on topic", etc. It's a discussion and people don't have time for trying to remember the latest new rule....and y'all come up with them like clockwork

Good luck with it but in all honesty it's doomed. Human nature always prevails

And yet -- mods here CANT interfere with opinions, assertions, bias because we cant ACT on content UNLESS it's specified in the simplest forum rules ever... 90% of what we do is keep threads on topic.. That's a sweet spot and a win... Sorry you can't abide by being restrained from taking off and just flaming folks..

Only rule you have to remember to avoid most moderation here is --- Honor the topic in every post..

And if you're not spewing pedo, beasty, family accusations or threatening a member or annihilating a whole party or group - -- you'll probably never hear from us..

Oh please, I know better.

Every couple of months you trot out new rules and nothing changes. Then you trot out new rules worded differently but the same rules lol

Lighten up... eventually people tire of it. I know I'm not going to proofread comments to assure I have no banned words or a certain number of words or sentences.

You're overthinking and from reading this thread it won't end well..

Excellent post and so true.

Come let us reason together and stop treating us like little children. is that too much to ask?

I'm a realist, my late papa told me someday it'll work for me or doom me.

In today's society a realist is doomed as society bends to whims of pie in the sky dreamers who believe everyone must bend to their defintion of how society should be.

Before coming here, I spent some time on a conservative, gun-rights, forum. One might think that a conservative, gun-rights enthusiastic, person like me would be happy in a conservative, gun-rights, forum, but they were so over-moderated - pointed almost exclusively at any anti-gun or liberal members. Posting anything anti-gun there would get you an immediate ban. Who the hell wants to belong to a mutual admiration society where there is only one point of view allowed, even if it's a conservative point of view? Most allowed posts ended up being simply posting the entire content of various gun or political news articles. There was nothing to debate because disagreement wasn't allowed.

Even though I agreed with most of the content on the site, it was far, far, too boring for me. My search for a more interesting place to hangout led me to another place with a lot of good debate but it was as polite as a ladies' knitting circle. I was constantly warned or having my posts deleted because I either called or implied that someone was a liar or a racist or a Fudd or something or another.. Please don't imply that other members are *name you insult*.

I didn't stay there long before moving on again and that's when I found this place. It was just right, in bears terms. Tell the poster what you think of what they said, and sometimes even what you think of them - just include enough about the actual discussion to justify your rage and keep it on topic. That seems to still be in the rules, perhaps just to be enforced more. But the overly restrictive on-topic enforcement I've been seeing, and the threat against pointing fingers at groups will likely change the nature of the place in a very negative way.

It's one thing not to attack people for race as a few here attack whites quite regularly. I don't agree with attacking people for what they are born with and can't control. But otherwise, it should be fair game. Any snowflake (oh yeah, that was another warning I got on that other site: please don't imply that another member is a snowflake) that can't take some name calling needs to turn their computer and TV off and hide under their blanket.

I agree with the above poster about so called 'conservative boards' i have been banned from just about all of them if not all of them. Even though I am very conservative myself.

i think what happens on those so called conservative boards is that a gang of ole timers get together and do their best to strictly control the board according to their particular agenda.

Any newcomer that they feel might threaten their control they gang up on and when he fights back using the same terminology the good ole boys use, the newbie gets banned.

I would like to out some of these so called conservative board, but I think it is against the rules to name other boards.

But the mods now get pissed when you have multiple threads on the same topic but when you have a thread about Russian collusion titled "This is bullshit" you can't blame someone for not being able to find that thread anywhere. The title was poor and didn't give a hint what the OP was about.

Or threads closed because they talk about birtherism. Apparently staff has decided some political issues and dissent on those issues is simply not allowed.

it now appears that anti biden posts are being particuarly discriminated against by one particular moderator who i have not noticed before. he must be new.

The thread on biden asking a black journalist if he was a junkie was locked. The reason cited being there were other threads about that...but i searched the format and there was only one thread about that and it was locked.

What's wrong with just putting people whose posts offend you on ignore?
That's what the "ignore" feature is for, correct?
Self moderation is the best moderation.
Of course, some prefer to complain and try to get views/posts/bickering by others silenced for all, as if they don't have the option to personally ignore them.

What's wrong with just putting people whose posts offend you on ignore?
That's what the "ignore" feature is for, correct?
Self moderation is the best moderation.
Of course, some prefer to complain and try to get views/posts/bickering by others silenced for all, as if they don't have the option to personally ignore them.

The ignore button is something to many ignore.

But I think you miss the point regarding some of the problems on this board and even more so on a lot of boards.

The most serious and most common problem one sees on just about all message boards is moderators with a personal agenda who use their power to censor opposing viewpoints. As in, if they are conservative they will ban liberals and vice versa if they are liberal they will try and ban conservative posters.

That is a very difficult problem to solve because anyone or at least many who want to take a unpaid position of being a mod have a desire for power to further their agenda.

The only way I see to counter such a problem is for a board to offer an appeal process for those who have been banned, had their posts deleted or moved.

Such an appeal panel would not have to be large. it could be as small as 3 people including a liberal mod, a conservative mod and a hopefully neutral judge. At least one of these should be a poster.

in a nutshell what is needed is a transparent system for any punitive actions by the administration. Thus the best chance for fairness i think.

That is what most of the dissenters on here want I think............fairness. Whilst perhaps not totally possible at least an effort could be made to try and attain that.

The most serious and most common problem one sees on just about all message boards is moderators with a personal agenda who use their power to censor opposing viewpoints. As in, if they are conservative they will ban liberals and vice versa if they are liberal they will try and ban conservative posters.
I was recently banned from a site and the only reason posted was "needs to find greener pastures". I hit too close to home on the tactics of the biased moderation team.

That is a very difficult problem to solve because anyone or at least many who want to take a unpaid position of being a mod have a desire for power to further their agenda.
Imho, moderators should have term limits. The worst ones are the long-termers who start acting like career politicians.

The only way I see to counter such a problem is for a board to offer an appeal process for those who have been banned, had their posts deleted or moved.
A fine idea.

I agree with the above poster about so called 'conservative boards' i have been banned from just about all of them if not all of them. Even though I am very conservative myself.

i think what happens on those so called conservative boards is that a gang of ole timers get together and do their best to strictly control the board according to their particular agenda.

Any newcomer that they feel might threaten their control they gang up on and when he fights back using the same terminology the good ole boys use, the newbie gets banned.

I would like to out some of these so called conservative board, but I think it is against the rules to name other boards.

You must have been on the same one I was on a couple boards back :).

Oh, crap.. thread drift. This will probably be deleted as off-topic.

Also, if members want to post ambiguous titles and veer off topic, why not let them? No one is being forced to read or participate in threads, after all.

good point. One problem i think is that some moderators feel like they have to do something all the time when a lot of the time nothing needs to be done. but being kinda busybodies they look hither and yon to find something they can do. most cases of that you see is of moving posts.

You must have been on the same one I was on a couple boards back :).

Oh, crap.. thread drift. This will probably be deleted as off-topic.

Very possible. Was a lady the owner of the board?

There are also a couple of others that come to mind. They resent new comers especially no matter your views.

Somehow I missed the presser about The DNC having purchased USMB.

A different board I was on (technically still am; I just almost never go there) didn't have any moderators at all and was a very nice place to go, completely self-policed. All of a sudden, they got moderators and started having all the problems sites with moderators have (which is not to say there's not a whole different set of problems if you don't have moderators or that moderators don't also bring a set of good things, too). Time went on and no one really noticed any other change until someone finally checked whois on the domain. It turned out that the site was sold to a Canadian media company (as were a couple other non-political forums I participate on) and no one said a word. The original owner still represented himself as the owner but it turned out he was not and had not been for a few years The Canadian media company kept him around and let him pretend to still own the site in order to stabilize membership and not drive a big migration over ownership and policy change.

1) That rule will edited to read "must contain substantial and relevant topical content".. This means that unsubstantiated generalizations about groups or political opponents is NOT ALONE sufficient as "specific topical content" anymore.. Yeah, you have to stop and think and spend a few calories composing a post..

I see a lot of “TDS” responses.

Will these be moderated due to not being substantial?

I doubt we close all birther threads.. Maybe one that is mostly rant and designed for "baiting and polarizing". you can find dozens that exist.. However, since this is one of those "zombie" issues with no agreement or complete evidence -- they certainly MIGHT get moved Conspiracy forum.. It's just keeping the place organized so that EVERYTHING doesn't go into the Politics or Current Events forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back