Never forget: It was President Trump who restarted NASA and funded the Artemis program

The question came up earlier as to why we are using the untested SLS design versus the proven (and superior) Saturn V design. I suspected that the design of the SLS uses a lot of Space Shuttle technology and it turns out that's even more true than I suspected.

The R-25 engines on the SLS are actual re-used Shuttle engines that have flown into space previously on shuttles. The boosters are identical to Shuttle boosters except for two things, they have another section added for longer duration burn and they cannot be recovered and re-used as could Shuttle boosters.

The video below goes a little bit into the bastardized program to develop the SLS, a program that has been started, killed, started, renamed, left on hold for 7 years and now has not be able to be flown.

The question came up earlier as to why we are using the untested SLS design versus the proven (and superior) Saturn V design. I suspected that the design of the SLS uses a lot of Space Shuttle technology and it turns out that's even more true than I suspected.

The R-25 engines on the SLS are actual re-used Shuttle engines that have flown into space previously on shuttles. The boosters are identical to Shuttle boosters except for two things, they have another section added for longer duration burn and they cannot be recovered and re-used as could Shuttle boosters.

The video below goes a little bit into the bastardized program to develop the SLS, a program that has been started, killed, started, renamed, left on hold for 7 years and now has not be able to be flown.

A Senator from Alabama I believe Shelby kept this alive with others. Huntsville, Alabama is a jewel to the state. The problem with manned flights is that the costs determine how many people go into space. The problem with government is that we need to get all the states involved with their companies for parts as the politicians are the maestros to the orchestra. Starship if allowed to try to become more mainstream and if it works which we may question will be the real way.

Forum List

Back