Nest week may be a repeat of last year for Texas

Nothing. We have had record freezes before in various places. I look more a receeding glacier and steady minute incremental rise in mean ocean level in Florida, at Miami and the Keys, rather than a bad cold or hot spell. I also look at the reduction of precipitation and water flow in the Colorado River and the lake levels along it.

You dont look at anything you're not told to look at.

When an ICE STORM HITS..........Trees will fall.......Ice will cause power lines to sag and snap..............There isn't a damned thing you can do about it but repair it afterwards.

Anyone who thinks MAN CAN STOP THAT........LOL.........is full of shit.................Underground is very expensive but it would stop it.......for HIGHER BILLS.
Another asshole that wishes to lie about the primary cause of the power outages in Texas last year. It was the shut down of various power plants due to frozen gas valves and water lines, not downed power lines.

They should have prepared.
I have been a factory rep and a decent one. It would be a great time to be repping Generac back up generators in Texas. There is money to be made on the stupidity of Texas state government.

1643584483152.png

I have been a factory rep and a decent one. It would be a great time to be repping Generac back up generators in Texas. There is money to be made on the stupidity of Texas state government.

View attachment 594965
A point here. The gas valves were frozen. So a system dependent of natural gas would have been no help. I have a 4.3 kw generator, and it is enough to keep the fridge going, and enough heaters to keep pipes from freezing.

The utilities should have been prepared, and, yes, the people should have been. But most were not. And I imagine, most are still not prepared.
Then the utilities are sorry and the people are stupid.

A point here. The gas valves were frozen. So a system dependent of natural gas would have been no help. I have a 4.3 kw generator, and it is enough to keep the fridge going, and enough heaters to keep pipes from freezing.
Do you have it hooked to propane or natural gas? That is a 22 Kw system I showed.

I figure it had to go out to the end and might be too narrow for the last 15 or 20 feet. I have only seen the big ones from the interstate, never close up, though have seen the vanes being carried down the interstate. Recon it is an interior heat tape application? I really don't know jack about it. Bet there is somebody on here that does.
This article says the cost of winterization is economically justified.

Much easier to put in line heaters on the water lines that froze in the nukes and coal plants, and space heaters on the gas valves, because those were the primary cause of the failure of the Texas grid last year. The wind turbines in Montana and the Dakotas did not fail, and it was much colder for much longer there, so there are obviously was to winter proof them. And the gas valves did not freeze up in Minnesota, so obviously there is no reason for them freezing up in Texas.
There were failures among all means of power production, and all should be winterized.

B. Key Findings and Causes
From February 8 through 20, in the Event Area, a total of 1,045 individual generating units—58 percent natural gas-fired, 27 percent wind, six percent coal, two percent solar, seven percent other fuels, and less than one percent nuclear—experienced 4,124 outages, derates or failures to start. Of those outages, derates, and failures to start, 75 percent were caused by either freezing issues (44.2 percent) or fuel issues (31.4 percent), as shown in Figure 3, below.

Natural gas fuel supply issues caused the majority, 87 percent, of the 31.4 percent of outages and derates due to fuel issues, and caused 27.3 percent of all outages, derates and failures to start during the Event.In addition to the 44.2 percent of outages and derates caused by freezing issues, the 21 percent caused by “mechanical/electrical issues” also indicated a relationship with the cold temperatures—as temperatures decreased, the number of generating units outaged or derated due to mechanical/electrical issues increased. Figure 4, below depicts the locations of the generation outages, derates and failures to start during the Event.

Forum List

Back