Neither All Good Nor All Bad

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The title refers to the only President born in New York City.....

1. On this day in 1858 Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President, was born.

He carried on McKinley’s efforts to make the US a world power. He was the first American to win a Nobel Prize (mediating the Russo-Japanese War).

On July 1, 1898 he led the Rough Riders in a charge up San Juan Hill, making his political career. As President, he forced the Congress to give the people a “Square Deal” by curbing the power of Wall Street barons: he used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act successfully against J.P.Morgan (3/14/1904).

2. And, carrying on a tradition of an earlier President from New York, Chester Arthur, Teddy was a President who brought classical music to the White House.
So much so, that Steinway....
Gold-Steinway.jpg

"Steinway donated its 100,000th piano (built in a factory in Queens) to the White House. The concert grand piano was installed in the East Room, which had become the musical heart of the executive mansion under Chester Arthur. Affectionately named the "gold" Steinway, the presidential piano was gilded with gold leaf and decorated with the coats of arms of the 13 original states.Hundreds of pianists played the Gold Steinway during the 35 years that it was in the East Room..."
WQXR - New York's Classical Music Radio Station

Although I've done several piano recitals at Steinway Hall, in NYC, I've never played a gold Concert Grand Piano.

"This wealth of beautiful music in the White House all started with that 1903 gold Steinway, which remained in the East Room for 35 years. The piano was donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 1938, when Steinway & Sons replaced it with its 300,000th piano, presented to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt dedicated the White House’s second Steinway "to the advance of music in every city, town, and hamlet in the country."

3. Now...that was the 'good'....

It was more than balanced with this:

a. In his speech 'The New Nationalism,' 1910: “We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community."

WHAT????
The Progressive view: government can determine how much one can earn. Marx would be so proud.

b. And his view of the Constitution?
‘Well known is TR's outburst, when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property: "To hell with the Constitution when the people want coal!"

Less well known is that at one point TR summoned General John M. Schofield, instructing him: "I bid you pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge, or anything else except my commands."’
33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask. By Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (p. 139) see http://mises.org/misesreview_detail.aspx?control=317

Both Roosevelt's played Brutus to the Constitution's Julius Caesar.

All the same....Happy Birthday, Teddy.....

Last edited:

He carried on McKinley’s efforts to make the US a world power. He was the first American to win a Nobel Prize (mediating the Russo-Japanese War).

On July 1, 1898 he led the Rough Riders in a charge up San Juan Hill, making his political career. As President, he forced the Congress to give the people a “Square Deal” by curbing the power of Wall Street barons: he used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act successfully against J.P.Morgan (3/14/1904).

2. And, carrying on a tradition of an earlier President from New York, Chester Arthur, Teddy was a President who brought classical music to the White House.
Gold-Steinway.jpg

"Steinway donated its 100,000th piano (built in a factory in Queens) to the White House. The concert grand piano was installed in the East Room, which had become the musical heart of the executive mansion under Chester Arthur. Affectionately named the "gold" Steinway, the presidential piano was gilded with gold leaf and decorated with the coats of arms of the 13 original states.Hundreds of pianists played the Gold Steinway during the 35 years that it was in the East Room..."

Although I've done several piano recitals at Steinway Hall, in NYC, I've never played a gold Concert Grand Piano.

"This wealth of beautiful music in the White House all started with that 1903 gold Steinway, which remained in the East Room for 35 years. The piano was donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 1938, when Steinway & Sons replaced it with its 300,000th piano, presented to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt dedicated the White House’s second Steinway "to the advance of music in every city, town, and hamlet in the country."

a. In his speech 'The New Nationalism,' 1910: “We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community.
The Progressive view: government can determine how much one can earn. Marx would be so proud.

‘Well known is TR's outburst, when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property: "To hell with the Constitution when the people want coal!"

Less well known is that at one point TR summoned General John M. Schofield, instructing him: "I bid you pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge, or anything else except my commands."’
33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask. By Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (p. 139) see http://mises.org/misesreview_detail.aspx?control=317

this is an EXCELLENT post, PoliticalChic
I just wish you could do the same with Clinton and Trump
and spell out both very positive high points as well as the worst negatives,
and be equally inclusive and accurate with both extremes!

Gold-Steinway.jpg

a. In his speech 'The New Nationalism,' 1910: “We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community.

You don't find that there are tons of both pro and con post for both Clinton and Trump, here, on not just a daily basis....but a minute by minute basis???

Here's my contribution to same:

Machiavelli May Be Correct

And....as far as my being "equally inclusive and accurate with both extremes"....that's not my job.
I post what comes from my head and my heart...

For those who demand that I contradict my own posts.......pshaw!!!....what am I "Scrubbing Bubbles....we work hard so you don't have to"???????

You might consider that there is no other correct side to my posts.

Last edited:

Gold-Steinway.jpg

You don't find that there are tons of both pro and con post for both Clinton and Trump, here, on not just a daily basis....but a minute by minute basis???

And....as far as my being "equally inclusive and accurate with both extremes"....that's not my job.

For those who demand that i contradict my own posts.......pshaw!!!....what am I "Scrubbing Bubbles....we work hard so you don't have to"???????

Yes by the way you work,
I WOULD like to see YOUR unique take and breakdown
on the very BEST and very WORST you see in both Trump and Clinton.
What do they contribute, directly or indirectly, that has the
greatest influence, for good or bad or both.

I believe Clinton will cause people to unite and enact means
to check govt RECOGNIZING the media and political party games
THAT ARE OUTSIDE THE CONSTITUTION ANYWAY.

so clearly the Constitution is not enough to check the corporate and media and party politics,
where all three are NOT bound by Constitutional limits or process. They are PRIVATE entities.

Trump also has the ability to unite and push for independent solutions
coming from individual and business interest in the private sectors.

They could both set historical precedence by creating solutions
using their influence, instead of wasting this on fighting for dominance for party control.

Gold-Steinway.jpg

For those who demand that i contradict my own posts.......pshaw!!!....what am I "Scrubbing Bubbles....we work hard so you don't have to"???????

Yes by the way you work,

so clearly the Constitution is not enough to check the corporate and media and party politics,
where all three are NOT bound by Constitutional limits or process. They are PRIVATE entities.

using their influence, instead of wasting this on fighting for dominance for party control.

1. The best for Clinton???
I post that daily via silence on the subject.

2. "....so clearly the Constitution is not enough to check the corporate and media and party politics,..."
This is an incorrect understanding of the Constitution.

Neither corporations nor political parties are bound by promising adherence to the Constitution.
The press is....by the special privileges provided in the first amendment.

The Founders allowed for the various viewpoints, and greed, and desire for power to balance themselves.

The press was bound by this:
"The job of the newspaper is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

The famous quote is about a hundred years old and can be traced to the work of Finley Peter Dunne, one of the great journalists of the day, who wrote about politics and culture in the voice and persona of an Irishman named "Mr. Dooley." Think of him, if you will, as a precursor to Dr. Ink.

"Th newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th' ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward."
http://www.poynter.org/how-tos/writing/1298/afflicting-the-afflicted/

The malfeasance is monumental.
"Study: 91 percent of coverage on evening newscasts was negative to Donald Trump"
Study: 91 percent of coverage on evening newscasts was negative to Donald Trump
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

The Founders understood the greed and desire for power as inherent in human nature.
The solution they championed was to play off one group's desire against another.

Federalist #51 “Let ambition counteract ambition.” Conflicting interests would neutralize one another, checking abuses of power.

Take a look at the quote at 3:59

The Fascist candidate.....Bill's wife....want to deprive any group which has a desire different from Liberal aims....
As she admits here:
"Wikileaks: Clinton ‘Borrowed’ Her Citizens United Debate Answer from Bernie Sanders
“And I feel strongly that the Supreme Court needs to stand on the side of the American people, not on the side of the powerful corporations and the wealthy,” she said. “For me, that means that we need a Supreme Court … that will stand up and say no to Citizens United,..."
Wikileaks: Clinton ‘Borrowed’ Her Citizens United Debate Answer from Bernie Sanders

A Fascist borrowing an argument from a communist.
Not usual at all.

Gold-Steinway.jpg

Yes by the way you work,

"I WOULD like to see YOUR unique take and breakdown
on the very BEST and very WORST you see in both Trump and Clinton."

It's the Constitution and the American nation.

Trump promises to embrace the Constitution....Bill's wife promises the very opposite.
Trump supports American sovereignty....Bill's wife admitted she favors open borders.

How tough is that choice???

Gold-Steinway.jpg

Yes by the way you work,

2. "....so clearly the Constitution is not enough to check the corporate and media and party politics,..."

Neither corporations nor political parties are bound by promising adherence to the Constitution.

The Founders allowed for the various viewpoints, and greed, and desire for power to balance themselves.

"The job of the newspaper is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

The famous quote is about a hundred years old and can be traced to the work of Finley Peter Dunne, one of the great journalists of the day, who wrote about politics and culture in the voice and persona of an Irishman named "Mr. Dooley." Think of him, if you will, as a precursor to Dr. Ink.

"Th newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th' ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward."

"Study: 91 percent of coverage on evening newscasts was negative to Donald Trump"

and NONE of those is IN the Constitution.

If you ask the political parties to enforce the Constitution, they don't have to because they are private entities.
if you ask corporations, ask media outlets,
instead they will take the position as individual citizens
and cite their rights to freedom of the press, free speech, due process of law.

what I'm saying is that enforcing the Bill of Rights
and equal protection of the laws, etc. applies
LITERALLY to govt and public institutions.

(I AGREE with you that private citizens
are supposed to check and balance ourselves
by applying and enforcing the very principles
we want to establish as the standard. But we
are not "legally" required by law to respect
religious freedom as govt/public institutions are bound by law.

do you get my point now?

that private institutions such as
corporations, media, party
are counted as individuals with individual rights and
liberties the same as citizens
and not held to the same responsibility
as govt as "collective entities".

Now, because of the imbalance this causes,
I DO recommend that people DO hold
corporations, media and parties
as well as all citizens
to the same standards of govt
so we are all on the same page
and don't abuse our rights to
infringe on the same of others,
but we AGREE to respect
the Golden Rule of enforcing
equal protections of the law
so that we may invoke this standard
and authority equally ourselves.

that isn't LITERALLY required in the laws.
The Constitution doesn't expressly say that
"individuals must follow the same policies
they want others/govt to enforce"

the Golden Rule exists in nature,
a natural law that we treat others
as we want to be treated.

It is not required in the Constitution
for citizens, corporations, media
party etc. to respect equal Constitutional
rights and freedoms for other people equally.

I hold this standard to be true,
but it remains faith based and a matter of
choice for people to accept and practice
if they really want equal justice under law for all people.

Gold-Steinway.jpg

Yes by the way you work,

and NONE of those is IN the Constitution.

If you ask the political parties to enforce the Constitution, they don't have to because they are private entities.
if you ask corporations, ask media outlets,
instead they will take the position as individual citizens
and cite their rights to freedom of the press, free speech, due process of law.

what I'm saying is that enforcing the Bill of Rights
and equal protection of the laws, etc. applies
LITERALLY to govt and public institutions.

(I AGREE with you that private citizens
are supposed to check and balance ourselves
by applying and enforcing the very principles
we want to establish as the standard. But we
are not "legally" required by law to respect
religious freedom as govt/public institutions are bound by law.

do you get my point now?

that private institutions such as
corporations, media, party
are counted as individuals with individual rights and
liberties the same as citizens
and not held to the same responsibility
as govt as "collective entities".

Now, because of the imbalance this causes,
I DO recommend that people DO hold
corporations, media and parties
as well as all citizens
to the same standards of govt
so we are all on the same page
and don't abuse our rights to
infringe on the same of others,
but we AGREE to respect
the Golden Rule of enforcing
equal protections of the law
so that we may invoke this standard
and authority equally ourselves.

that isn't LITERALLY required in the laws.
The Constitution doesn't expressly say that
"individuals must follow the same policies
they want others/govt to enforce"

the Golden Rule exists in nature,
a natural law that we treat others
as we want to be treated.

It is not required in the Constitution
for citizens, corporations, media
party etc. to respect equal Constitutional
rights and freedoms for other people equally.

I hold this standard to be true,
but it remains faith based and a matter of
choice for people to accept and practice
if they really want equal justice under law for all people.

"....and NONE of those is IN the Constitution."
Not so.

Clearly, you didn't understand this...read it more carefully:
"....so clearly the Constitution is not enough to check the corporate and media and party politics,..."

The only deal made with the three groups you named was with the press.

Forum List

Back