Need a Fact Check

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Megan McArdle's latest column is about how Obamacare is making a comeback because only the benchmark model (silver?) saw huge rate increases while the lesser and greater coverage plans moved much less. Is that so?

I found cost for (2) age 56-62 living in Silicon Valley (80K income- 95054 zip code).
Silver Plan $800-$1250 monthly per person. Cost Increase could be slowing?

upload_2017-11-16_18-29-32.png

What are the deductibles.

I see them now. So you are making 80 grand and you have a possible 17 grand per year cost. I would not think that is sustainable.

Visits are ~$35 dollars, generic drugs $15 dollars. I do think the prices seem more comparable to past years I looked up?

I don't know how to do other states. I had found this Covered CA website with an easy GUI. 95054 is Santa Clara.

If you don't get sick you never see the "deductible" I think? a few visits each yr + 2 drugs/mo per person would cost you ~$1000/yr? extra. ouch.

What are the deductibles.

I see them now. So you are making 80 grand and you have a possible 17 grand per year cost. I would not think that is sustainable.

Visits are ~$35 dollars, generic drugs $15 dollars. I do think the prices seem more comparable to past years I looked up?

I don't know how to do other states. I had found this Covered CA website with an easy GUI. 95054 is Santa Clara.

If you don't get sick you never see the "deductible" I think? a few visits each yr + 2 drugs/mo per person would cost you ~$1000/yr? extra. ouch.

SUBSIDIES reduce customer participation a great deal..

My wife's silver plan is going up from 460 to 550/month. It was almost 200 dollar less 3 years ago. So what is driving price?

I am not in the market because I am on Medicare but only recently. When I was in my twenties, I paid nothing for health insurance., and I was able to get ahead. I just believe the astronomical amounts especially for families is nothing but a weight around their necks. I have used this example before. My mechanic says his rate was 700 per month in 2008, 1200 in 2012, 1900 in 2016, more than his mortgage and he can’t pay it anymore. And he is the quintessential member of the middle class. Something has to give.

Forum List

Back