NC Labor commissioner says COVID-19 isn’t a workplace threat that requires safety rules

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Ya can't fix stupid! :rolleyes:

“While I am not dismissing the tragic deaths that have occurred as a result of this virus, statistically, the virus has not been proven likely to cause death or serious physical harm from the perspective of an occupational hazard,” Berry wrote in the Nov. 9 letter.​
In an Aug. 31 letter, Berry told the governor that her department would not enforce the executive order, citing “legal and resource (time/staff) concerns.” If the department received a related complaint, she said, the staff would likely respond with a “letter to the employer outlining the allegation and informing the employer of the EO requirements.”​
“She’s essentially saying, ‘I’m abandoning my mission to protect workers because I’m buying into myths and lies that COVID-19 is not serious and we really don’t know that much about it.’ And that’s just not true,” said Debbie Berkowitz, director of the Worker Safety and Health program at the National Employment Law Project and former chief of staff at the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. “This is really a dereliction of duty.”​
Asked for response to the criticism of Berry’s letter, DOL spokesperson Dolores Quesenberry wrote, “The letter from Commissioner Berry speaks for itself.”​
Berry is retiring in January, to be succeeded by Josh Dobson, a Republican elected to the position on Nov. 3. Thursday afternoon, Gov. Roy Cooper said he hoped the department would be more proactive under Dobson.​

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article247463205.html#storylink=cpy

“While I am not dismissing the tragic deaths that have occurred as a result of this virus, statistically, the virus has not been proven likely to cause death or serious physical harm from the perspective of an occupational hazard,” Berry wrote in the Nov. 9 letter.​
In an Aug. 31 letter, Berry told the governor that her department would not enforce the executive order, citing “legal and resource (time/staff) concerns.” If the department received a related complaint, she said, the staff would likely respond with a “letter to the employer outlining the allegation and informing the employer of the EO requirements.”​
“She’s essentially saying, ‘I’m abandoning my mission to protect workers because I’m buying into myths and lies that COVID-19 is not serious and we really don’t know that much about it.’ And that’s just not true,” said Debbie Berkowitz, director of the Worker Safety and Health program at the National Employment Law Project and former chief of staff at the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. “This is really a dereliction of duty.”​
Asked for response to the criticism of Berry’s letter, DOL spokesperson Dolores Quesenberry wrote, “The letter from Commissioner Berry speaks for itself.”​
Berry is retiring in January, to be succeeded by Josh Dobson, a Republican elected to the position on Nov. 3. Thursday afternoon, Gov. Roy Cooper said he hoped the department would be more proactive under Dobson.​

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article247463205.html#storylink=cpy

Why do you think that the corona virus needs any special regulations rather than what is already specified for other respiratory pathogens?

That's an accurate statement

No it isn't. North Carolinians can thank God the bitch is retiring.
And they have a fun part time job for her so that she stays good n busy.

No it isn't.

It's an accurate statement.

COVID.jpg

True. You cannot fix stupid. Many here have tried to fix you but to no avail.

No it isn't.

It's an accurate statement.

View attachment 426605

Even if true ^ (I question your 50-69 death ratio) the worst outbreaks have occurred at food processing plants. Those people then go out in their communities, infect everyone else and kill grandma. Face it, the lady is a serious clown.
Outbreaks != to deaths. The workforce, even in food processing plants, is between the age of 18 to 65. That means that 99.5% of them have nothing to fear but a few sniffles.

Regarding mortality rates, I've got 2.4% who died between 50-59 and 6.7% who died between 60-69.
And these are old numbers - Death is a trailing indicator.

Due to there being so many sicknesses out there already before Covid was even thought of, I can't disagree with this. At the end of the day, its a person's own personal responsibility how well they do or don't take care of their own lives. If you want to live your life in a bubble, its your life, but don't expect anyone to follow after you when they too have the right to live their life in whatever way it is that they see fit.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Due to there being so many sicknesses out there already before Covid was even thought of, I can't disagree with this. At the end of the day, its a person's own personal responsibility how well they do or don't take care of their own lives. If you want to live your life in a bubble, its your life, but don't expect anyone to follow after you when they too have the right to live their life in whatever way it is that they see fit.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If you work in a meatpacking plant 3 feet from the next guy and masks aren't required, the "personal responsibility" issue is moot.

Forum List

Back