NBC News; Chris Rock's alopecia joke was racist

Black men get shot and killed in Chicago at an alarming rate the nation hardly notices one black man slaps another black man over a dumb joke on an awards show and it's natiional news.
Hold on right there. De Niro made his "white-on-white" f-ck Trump statement and it too made national news. Stop perpetuating racism where it doesn't exist and stick to real racism instead.

Hmmm, I'm sceptical. I can't think of many (any?) African women who suffer from that. I'm thinking it's chemicals to make their hair "white" ie. straight.

From a Black dermatologist, a Johns Hopkins publication

Maybe it's just because it's classless to make fun of someone for a medical condition they have no control over.

Hair loss (alopecia) is typically related to one or more of the following factors:
  • Family history (heredity). The most common cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition that happens with aging. This condition is called androgenic alopecia, male-pattern baldness and female-pattern baldness. It usually occurs gradually and in predictable patterns — a receding hairline and bald spots in men and thinning hair along the crown of the scalp in women.
  • Hormonal changes and medical conditions. A variety of conditions can cause permanent or temporary hair loss, including hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems. Medical conditions include alopecia areata (al-o-PEE-she-uh ar-e-A-tuh), which is immune system related and causes patchy hair loss, scalp infections such as ringworm, and a hair-pulling disorder called trichotillomania (trik-o-til-o-MAY-nee-uh).
  • Medications and supplements. Hair loss can be a side effect of certain drugs, such as those used for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, gout and high blood pressure.
  • Radiation therapy to the head. The hair may not grow back the same as it was before.
  • A very stressful event. Many people experience a general thinning of hair several months after a physical or emotional shock. This type of hair loss is temporary.
  • Hairstyles and treatments. Excessive hairstyling or hairstyles that pull your hair tight, such as pigtails or cornrows, can cause a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. Hot-oil hair treatments and permanents also can cause hair to fall out. If scarring occurs, hair loss could be permanent.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/symptoms-causes/syc-20372926|

Ashamed of their hair? I've heard it all.

Yeah that's ridiculous. NBC is reaching to try to make it racist when in reality it was just a low blow joke picking on her bald head she has for a medical condition.

(Not saying Black women haven't been picked on for their hair. But that wasn't the case here.)

Yeah that's ridiculous. NBC is reaching to try to make it racist when in reality it was just a low blow joke picking on her bald head she has for a medical condition.

(Not saying Black women haven't been picked on for their hair. But that wasn't the case here.)
Black women are pretty in their own way.

What a ridiculous Opinion article. It was A JOKE.

It is the OSCARS. He is the Host. He is there to make jokes and have fun.

Good lord people.
Bingo..... I think Rock was the victim of some underlying resentment that was born of a totally raunchy public revelation by Smith's wife about his bedroom performance. Something like that taken to the level of public knowledge this tantamount being stoned to death mentally and emotionally.
I'm willing to deposit that even though I detest Howard Stern, he may actually be right about the mental illness angle.

Forum List

Back