NBC News; Chris Rock's alopecia joke was racist

That's legit actually. The treatments they do on their hair like tight braiding etc can cause forms of alopecia

Mind you - lest anyone think I'm harshing on only black women - white women do all manner of ridiculous things to their hair to fry it, too. I don't think highly of most of the things women of any race do to themselves to try to look good.

Right, next up we need to know who in the audience laughed at the joke so we can cancel them...

Has Jada commented on Will slapping Rock?
About Jada, I'm waiting for hair opinion too.

I wonder if it effect ALL follicles ?
I find stubble problematic
jada-alopecia.jpg

Not with the same frequency. You also dont see a wig store on every corner either. In fact, you dont see wig stores anywhere BUT in the ghetto.
A quick search in my area brings up a dozen or more wig stores in NW Arkansas alone.

Maybe it's just because it's classless to make fun of someone for a medical condition they have no control over.

Oh, for the love of God. I think this whole "I must be humorless and outraged over this" reaction just indicates how long it's been since anyone's cared enough to watch the Oscars.

To refresh everyone's memory, this is what Oscar hosts and presenters DO: they poke fun at the attendees and the industry. Chris Rock's line right before his "egregious insult" to Jada Pinkett-Smith was to poke fun at Timothee Chalamet not wearing a shirt. Hell, Ricky Gervais came right out and accused the entire room of cozying up to sexual predators the last time he hosted the Oscars, and no one felt the need to slap HIM.

Jada Pinkett-Smith shaves her head. She talks about shaving her head all the time. He didn't say she looked BAD with her head shaved; he just acknowledged what she's already told the whole damned world ad nauseam. And frankly, I think he should have commented on that outfit she was wearing, because she looked like a soldier in a sci fi movie who's being attacked by the alien slime monster.

Wow....soooooooo.... true.

Jo
These "whatever they are called" seek out professions where whites are over-represented. They claim it is the fault of "racism" so they create new rules/laws whereby 50% of the applicants (or workforce) must be non-white. Do they really not understand that those new rules/laws are racist?
:aug08_031:

It is unfortunately true that American culture favors certain forms of beauty, none of which even approaches the appearance of African-American hair, in its natural state.

Between texture, color, manipulation, and length, African American women go to extremes to change what nature has provided them. Conspicuously, some of the most visible African-American women in our society have fully bought in to making themselves "look white." The Vice President, Beyonce, and on and on.

And yet, if one even suggested that these women are "ashamed" of their natural appearance, they would be horrified and even angry at the suggestion.

We are all bozos on this bus.
Black folks have been constantly bombarded with attempts to make them hate their natural appearances since this country existed....

As children, they were constantly being programmed to hate themselves....

_00-rac008 (227).jpg

Which is why when black folks embrace their natural beauty -- that was also viewed as a problem.....Especially if you held your head up too high while you embraced your natural self...that is when they would say "she is acting uppity"

nina-simone.jpg

...... Between texture, color, manipulation, and length, African American women go to extremes to change what nature has provided them. Conspicuously, some of the most visible African-American women in our society have fully bought in to making themselves "look white." The Vice President, Beyonce, and on and on.

And yet, if one even suggested that these women are "ashamed" of their natural appearance, they would be horrified and even angry at the suggestion.

We are all bozos on this bus.
That's true, Firesign, but you left out Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, The Temptations, Nancy Wilson, Dione Warwick, The Supremes, Chuck Berry, and the most outrageous example: Michael Jackson.
Black folks have been constantly bombarded with attempts to make them hate their natural appearances since this country existed....
Maybe you're too young to remember "Black is Beautiful" and the afro hairstyle that even whites wore.
As children, they were constantly being programmed to hate themselves....
I don't think hate is the right word. "Inferior" is more accurte.

Forum List

Back