Nancy Pelosi's Lesson in Power for House Republicans - WSJ editorial

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
“…there’s no denying that Mrs. Pelosi has been an effective House leader, the most powerful Speaker in decades. Were Republicans paying attention? In last week’s elections, the GOP regained the House, but its new majority will be as small as Mrs. Pelosi’s current one. The narrow margin next year calls for a strong Speaker and Republican unity. If the GOP wants to convince the electorate to give it a real mandate in 2024, it needs to show it can govern.

Instead the old circular firing squad may be forming. This week Kevin McCarthy won a party vote to be nominated as Speaker, 188-31, but he needs 218 votes in January. Republicans also agreed to dilute the Speaker’s control over the Steering Committee that decides which lawmakers get assigned to which committees and who gets to be a chairman. This might be a necessary concession at the moment, but if a weak Speaker lacks the tools to pass needed bills, the result will be chaos and angry voters.

Speaker John Boehner resigned in 2015 amid a fight over whether Republicans should try to defund Planned Parenthood by passing a continuing resolution that would have died in the Senate or on President Obama’s desk. The GOP then held 247 seats. Mr. McCarthy’s majority will be 222 at most. That number was enough for Mrs. Pelosi to avoid pointless brinkmanship over the past two years and pass an ambitious agenda for Mr. Biden. Mr. McCarthy and Republicans could learn from the example.”

Odds are on the old circular firing squad.

It's the end of an era.

GAVEL DOWN: Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi has spoken

GAVEL DOWN: Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi has spoken.

View attachment 727637

View attachment 727628

View attachment 727629

View attachment 727631

View attachment 727632

View attachment 727633

View attachment 727634

View attachment 727635

View attachment 727636

Even President George W. Bush got a shoutout from the outgoing House speaker.

I have great respect for Nancy Pelosi. There is only one thing that stands out that I didn't like - She protected then-President George W. Bush from being impeached for invading Iraq. She said it was "off the table". However, that was while we were fighting two wars - so she likely made the correct decision.

“…there’s no denying that Mrs. Pelosi has been an effective House leader, the most powerful Speaker in decades. Were Republicans paying attention? In last week’s elections, the GOP regained the House, but its new majority will be as small as Mrs. Pelosi’s current one. The narrow margin next year calls for a strong Speaker and Republican unity. If the GOP wants to convince the electorate to give it a real mandate in 2024, it needs to show it can govern.

Instead the old circular firing squad may be forming. This week Kevin McCarthy won a party vote to be nominated as Speaker, 188-31, but he needs 218 votes in January. Republicans also agreed to dilute the Speaker’s control over the Steering Committee that decides which lawmakers get assigned to which committees and who gets to be a chairman. This might be a necessary concession at the moment, but if a weak Speaker lacks the tools to pass needed bills, the result will be chaos and angry voters.

Speaker John Boehner resigned in 2015 amid a fight over whether Republicans should try to defund Planned Parenthood by passing a continuing resolution that would have died in the Senate or on President Obama’s desk. The GOP then held 247 seats. Mr. McCarthy’s majority will be 222 at most. That number was enough for Mrs. Pelosi to avoid pointless brinkmanship over the past two years and pass an ambitious agenda for Mr. Biden. Mr. McCarthy and Republicans could learn from the example.”

"Criminals of a feather, flock together."

1668747478172.png

It's the end of an era.

View attachment 727637

View attachment 727628

View attachment 727629

View attachment 727631

View attachment 727632

View attachment 727633

View attachment 727634

View attachment 727635

View attachment 727636

I have great respect for Nancy Pelosi. There is only one thing that stands out that I didn't like - She protected then-President George W. Bush from being impeached for invading Iraq. She said it was "off the table". However, that was while we were fighting two wars - so she likely made the correct decision.
An impressive old bat, overall, whether you liked everything she did or not. I opened all the attachments as some did not open the first time. You could have left off the Rob Reiner, as not my political cup of tea. Entertainers commenting on politics kind of chap my ass. I am not at all certain the founding fathers would drink to Nancy. Not bothered by no impeachment of Sonovabush. Iraq war was BS, but he sold it. The bought it and approved it at the time, a failure of both houses, and I am not at all sure, there would have been enough willing to admit they were wrong for it to even clear the house. So it would not have passed and just been an unnecessary partisan exercise. I have never been sure what part she played in the attempt to submarine, Kavanaugh for Supreme Court. But overall, she was effective, without a doubt did a better job of handling and standing up to Donny than anybody else in either party.

Wow you Dims are crazy loons....

It's the end of an era.

View attachment 727637

View attachment 727628

View attachment 727629

View attachment 727631

View attachment 727632

View attachment 727633

View attachment 727634

View attachment 727635

View attachment 727636

And the beginning of a long overdue one. Time to step out and get some fresh era.

Good bye ya old witch

Forum List

Back