My white privilege

People of all Races who live in poverty and social disadvantage are more likely to commit crime.

Especially people who were raised in single-family households.

Only African Americans can judge what is the best for African American community. I agree with helping all people in need -- especially Minorities who are disproportionately poor.

Only African Americans can judge what is the best for African American community. I agree with helping all people in need -- especially Minorities who are disproportionately poor.

Is being disproportionately poor a social liability or bad personal choices? In my view most all poverty is self-inflicted.

Why do I believe that? Because we all had the chance to go to a public funded school at no additional charge to parents. We all had the option to not have children before we could afford them. We all had the ability to attend college or trade school. We all had the option to stay away from drugs or avoid being in conflict with the law. We all had the choice to spend our money on the newest iPhone or invest our money for our future. Nobody was denied these choices no matter what race, religion, or gender you are.

In as many times as I have brought this up, not one person was able to point out a situation of two people that didn't have the same options to choose from.

Being raised in poverty? What is poverty in America today? So much food most people on our programs are overweight? Our people in poverty have smart phones or even government funded cell phones. Most people in poverty have all the amenities of any other household. A good portion of our poor live in middle-class suburbs funded by taxpayers.

My father could tell you stories growing up that would make you cry. Yet he nor any of his five siblings ever spent a day in jail yet alone prison. All of the male children served our country. Three of them had their own business at one time or another. They all worked very hard and raised a family in a nice middle-class suburb.

Is being disproportionately poor a social liability or bad personal choices? In my view most all poverty is self-inflicted.

People born into poverty have much lower chance to succeed. It is possible to succeed against great odds, but it is rare.

African Americans and Native Americans have more hardship then other groups in USA.

People born into poverty have much lower chance to succeed. It is possible to succeed against great odds, but it is rare.

African Americans and Native Americans have more hardship then other groups in USA.

By their own accord or because it wasn't avoidable? You know, people come here from other countries that were actually poor; not what we consider poor. They work night and day, save every dime they can, and eventually open up their own stores or get an advanced education. Being raised poor does not mean you are obligated to remain that way. Once you are an adult, you have all the options any other American has, with the exception of those with physical or mental disabilities that preclude you from meeting such goals.

Perhaps the real problem is how we address these people. It's like a three year old who is running on the grass, falls, and everybody jumps up to pander to the child. The more you pander, the more the child cries. If everybody laughs at his or her fall, they get right back up, smile, and try to run again without falling.

Next time you go to the library, ask the librarian where they keep all the books written by successful excuse makers. There is no such section of books because all the excuse makers are failures. There is no such thing as a successful one.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA

By their own accord or because it wasn't avoidable? You know, people come here from other countries that were actually poor; not what we consider poor. They work night and day, save every dime they can, and eventually open up their own stores or get an advanced education. Being raised poor does not mean you are obligated to remain that way.

Hurt People can succeed, but they are less likely to succeed.

Hurt People Hurt People.

Fine with me, but you do the same. Go out and get your Class A CDL. It shouldn't be that hard. After all, they will only test you to see if you can drive in a straight line, right?

I noticed you evaded. Again, drove a truck in the Army... have no desire to do it again.

You mean the same 80,000 lbs vehicle I drove successfully for nearly 30 years without one accident in my name, not even a dent in the bumper, with no moving traffic violations on my license, no CSA 2010 points, even in our treacherous winters in Ohio? And the several years operating a vehicle weighing 20,000 lbs the same?

Yeah, we need to take a person like that off the road. Typical government thinking.

Your driving record wasn't the point, it was your physical condition, which by your own admission, keeps you from doing a lot of work.

Your statement is what's known as political ignorance. It's why you people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

No, it's actually an observation of history.

FDR adopted Keynesian economics. American prospered for nearly 40 years until old Tricky Dick came along.

Then Ronnie RayGun started dismantling the tax structure and government programs that made our economy tick for so long, and dismantled the unions.

The last 11 recessions, have all happened when Republicans were in charge. 3 Under Ike, 2 under nixon, 1 under Carter, 1 under Reagan, 1 under Bush, two under Bush 43 and 1 under Trump.

Republicans bring recessions, but have somehow fooled the stupid into thinking they know what they are doing with the economy.

I noticed you evaded. Again, drove a truck in the Army... have no desire to do it again.

You drove a straight truck. I learned how to drive one of those when I was 17 years old. The difference between a straight truck and a tractor-trailer is the similar to flying a single engine personal prop plane and a commercial jet.

Your driving record wasn't the point, it was your physical condition, which by your own admission, keeps you from doing a lot of work.

It didn't keep me from driving. I can still do a lot of things, but I also need a lot of breaks, sometimes every ten minutes or so depending on what I'm doing. The point is that government didn't consider my perfect driving record, and they had their doctor--not mine who treats my conditions, make the determination on whether I could do my job or not.

And don't tell me it was for road safety, because this very same government allows foreigners to drive on our roads who never had to take our test, never had any experience behind the wheel, and some who can't read our road signs or speak a word of English.

No, it's actually an observation of history.

FDR adopted Keynesian economics. American prospered for nearly 40 years until old Tricky Dick came along.

Then Ronnie RayGun started dismantling the tax structure and government programs that made our economy tick for so long, and dismantled the unions.

The last 11 recessions, have all happened when Republicans were in charge. 3 Under Ike, 2 under nixon, 1 under Carter, 1 under Reagan, 1 under Bush, two under Bush 43 and 1 under Trump.

Republicans bring recessions, but have somehow fooled the stupid into thinking they know what they are doing with the economy.

Wait a minute, what government programs did Reagan get rid of? Name one policy of his that dismantled the unions. And don't bring up the air traffic controllers because they broke their contract by striking and were rightfully fired. Other than that, he never did anything to the unions.

Once again you display your political ignorance. We don't live in an autocracy. We live in a Republic where several branches of government exists, and the President is just about the weakest branch. Reagan took over when the economy was already going downhill. Jr's recession happened because of the housing crash which the Democrats started. He also took over in a down economy after the tech bubble burst, and got us going again after the worst foreign attack on our soil. Trump gave us the best economy in 50 years until Joe's buddies in China sent us their disease.

As a typical leftist liar that you are, the economies you brought up were out of the power of the President and not created by them. Jr is about the only one you can lay blame because he didn't do enough to stop the Democrat idiocy of having banks give out bad loans. But he didn't invent the plot--Clinton did.

You drove a straight truck. I learned how to drive one of those when I was 17 years old. The difference between a straight truck and a tractor-trailer is the similar to flying a single engine personal prop plane and a commercial jet.

I've had pilots tell me that they aren't much different. But that's neither her nor there.

It didn't keep me from driving. I can still do a lot of things, but I also need a lot of breaks, sometimes every ten minutes or so depending on what I'm doing. The point is that government didn't consider my perfect driving record, and they had their doctor--not mine who treats my conditions, make the determination on whether I could do my job or not.

yes, because their doctor is objective... your doctor isn't.

And don't tell me it was for road safety, because this very same government allows foreigners to drive on our roads who never had to take our test, never had any experience behind the wheel, and some who can't read our road signs or speak a word of English.

Those drivers qualify in their own countries... and frankly, if it was such a big deal, then why didn't Trump eliminate that provision when he renegotiated NAFTA?

Wait a minute, what government programs did Reagan get rid of? Name one policy of his that dismantled the unions. And don't bring up the air traffic controllers because they broke their contract by striking and were rightfully fired. Other than that, he never did anything to the unions.

Actually, that was kind of a big deal. Now, yes, reagan did spend like a Keynesian, but he didn't tax like one...that's why he tripled the National Debt in eight years.

Jr's recession happened because of the housing crash which the Democrats started.

The housing crash that took 16 years to happen? HOw does that work, exactly?

Hey, I think cops shooting kids in the back when they are lying on the ground probably has more to do with that.
Sometimes its black cops shooting the black kids

sometimes its black cops shooting white kids

99.99% of cops are just doing their job combating crime in black neighborhoods

but the left for partisan political purposes chooses to whip up a political issue
Officers Paul Watts and Simon Russell

25C6C17700000578-0-image-a-2_1424213749109.jpg

#BackTheBlue #BlueLivesMatter
ce3.gif

Last edited:
I've had pilots tell me that they aren't much different. But that's neither her nor there.

Not the people that I know who are pilots, and not only did I know people at the airport doing deliveries, my own Uncle was a pilot.

yes, because their doctor is objective... your doctor isn't.

No. All doctors face the same liabilities as any other doctor. Their first concern is that their decisions can undergo the scrutiny of possible litigation against them. Asking a doctor an opinion of your condition that he doesn't treat is like asking your mechanic why your transmission keeps blowing when another mechanic always did your work. There is no way for him to know what's going on unless he was the mechanic always working on your car.

Those drivers qualify in their own countries... and frankly, if it was such a big deal, then why didn't Trump eliminate that provision when he renegotiated NAFTA?

He should have, but probably didn't being unaware of the situation. Presidents don't deal with those issues, bureaucracies do which is the entire problem in the first place.

Getting an equivalent of a CDL in other countries is for the mere asking of one, if they have any CDL kind of categories at all. Trust me on this. Some of these foreigners have zero training or experience driving a T/T. I know this just watching them trying to back in a trailer. Several times they came begging to me: "Please, please mister. Back in trailer, I no know how!" As a compassionate conservative, I have to admit helping them. One time while the road was blocked during a snow storm, a police officer waiting on the street with the rest of us came up to my truck asking if I could please get that guy in the dock. The department was backlogged with accident calls and he didn't have time for the foreigner to figure it out. I had to go there, put my foot on the ground, and told him to run over my foot with the trailer tire. He was confused. I repeated again, run over my foot with the trailer tire. He finally did as I instructed and got into the drive in one shot.

While it's been many years since I took the test, several of my coworkers recently have. There is no possible way to pass the US test unless you had complete control over that vehicle. You have to take turns perfectly, you have to be able to back in perfectly, you have to do the pre-trip perfectly. There is little room for errors.

Actually, that was kind of a big deal. Now, yes, reagan did spend like a Keynesian, but he didn't tax like one...that's why he tripled the National Debt in eight years.

Again with the political and constitutional ignorance. One more time: ALL APPROPRIATION BILLS ORIGINATE IN THE HOUSE. The President can propose his spending bill, but it's entirely up to the House to follow through or tell the President to go beat a salt bag. The President only signs the thing, as Reagan did under the leadership of a Democrat House.

The housing crash that took 16 years to happen? HOw does that work, exactly?

Clinton had Cuomo create the reduction of restrictions late in his second term. The economy was in a free fall from the technology bust. GW got the economy going again, but eight months into his first term, 911 happened. Within a couple of years, he got the economy going again.

During these downfalls, very few were in the housing hunt. By the time of GW's second term, the economy was coming back and more and more people were back in the housing market. It grew from there and the rest is history.

Officers Paul Watts and Simon Russell

We had a saying in the Army. "One 'oh, shit' erases a 100 'attaboys'!"

Yes, lots of cops are out there doing a great job. And one percent of them are guys like Chauvin, Van Dyke, Wilson, Loehmann, etc. Guys who never should have gotten a badge and a gun to start with, who were just a terrible incident looking for a place to happen.

The thing is, you wouldn't want to fly on a 99% airline. You wouldn't want to eat at a resturant that doesn't poison it's customers 99% of the time, and you don't want a police force that gets it right only 99% of the time.

So these are the reforms that are needed.

Making it easier to get rid of the bad apples.
Correcting training that could potentially lead to bad incidents.
Have more transparency, so it doesn't look like a coverup when six months later, some tape pops up showing you did something wrong.

He should have, but probably didn't being unaware of the situation. Presidents don't deal with those issues, bureaucracies do which is the entire problem in the first place.

Oh, come on, guy, hating on Mexicans was like his political brand. This is something he SHOULD have addressed. The funny thing, he tells you he hates Mexicans, but his big corporate donors want those Mexican trucks on the roads.

Again with the political and constitutional ignorance. One more time: ALL APPROPRIATION BILLS ORIGINATE IN THE HOUSE. The President can propose his spending bill, but it's entirely up to the House to follow through or tell the President to go beat a salt bag. The President only signs the thing, as Reagan did under the leadership of a Democrat House.

Reagan had a majority in the Senate for his first six years and he had a working majority in the House with Republicans plus Boll Weevil Democrats. (Back in the day, you also had moderate Gypsy Moth Republicans in the Northeast.) The idea that he couldn't have gotten spending cuts along with his tax cuts is just silly.

So here's what really happened. He cut taxes and INCREASED military spending, made a few token cuts in social programs, but not really because there's really nowhere to cut in those. And when the MAGIC PIXIE DUST of supply side didn't happen, he was actually enough of a pragmatist to realize that we needed to increase taxes (in the guise of "tax reform") and do some serious spending cuts in the military. (which is why he was so keen to reach arms agreements with Gorby.)

And conservatives were sooooo pissed at him that Bush had to scream "READ MY LIPS, NO NEW TAXES", a promise he had to go back on when the S&L Crisis hit and the government needed to bail them out.

The funny thing about Reagan is that he's the only Republican since Teddy Roosevelt who left office without leaving a recession (Hoover, Ike, Nixon, Ford, Both Bushes, Trump), being forced to resign (Nixon), or getting voted out of office (Taft, Hoover, Ford, Bush-41, Trump). So what you guys have to do is build this mythology around him that all the bad stuff wasn't his fault.

By their own accord or because it wasn't avoidable? You know, people come here from other countries that were actually poor; not what we consider poor. They work night and day, save every dime they can, and eventually open up their own stores or get an advanced education. Being raised poor does not mean you are obligated to remain that way.

Hurt People can succeed, but they are less likely to succeed.

Hurt People Hurt People.

Actually, I would be willing to bet that people who LEGALLY migrated to to the US, regardless of race and with very little money, are more financially successfully overall than many so called under priviledged groups in our country. The US rewards hard work and gives EVERYONE the opportuity to succeed. Of course it is harder to start with very little money, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. The real key is the have the drive to work hard and NOT to sit around complaining about how difficult it is waiting for help or free stuff from the government.

Clinton had Cuomo create the reduction of restrictions late in his second term. The economy was in a free fall from the technology bust. GW got the economy going again, but eight months into his first term, 911 happened. Within a couple of years, he got the economy going again.

You consider the limp economic performance of the Oughts "going again"?

Please. The 2001 recession happened because the markets had no faith in Bush, and everyone was heading for the doors. He inherited 4% unemployment and a booming stock market and managed to fuck it up in a year. And, yeah, 9/11 happened because Bush ignored a specific warning that Bin Laden was up to something about a month before hit happened. "Well, you've covered your ass" he said to the CIA before he went fishing.

I don’t remember the guy’s name, but I remember he went on for 10 or 15 minutes about how difficult it was for most Americans to make do with just two weeks vacation while the average in Western Europe is six weeks. By the end of that August, though Bush had only been in office since January 20, he had already managed 96 days of vacation time, or nearly 14 times as much as most Americans enjoyed during that period. As it happens, Bush ended up setting a presidential record for vacation days taken—977 days over the course of his two administrations or an unbelievable 33 percent of his presidency.*

What did George Bush do after receiving his second serious warning of imminent danger to the nation whose protection and defense he had sworn to uphold? According to reporter Ron Suskind, Bush replied to the CIA briefer, "All right. You’ve covered your ass, now," and spent the rest of the day fishing.

Apparently nothing at all could cut short this president’s month-long August vacation.

Actually, I would be willing to bet that people who LEGALLY migrated to to the US, regardless of race and with very little money, are more financially successfully overall than many so called under priviledged groups in our country. The US rewards hard work and gives EVERYONE the opportuity to succeed. Of course it is harder to start with very little money, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. The real key is the have the drive to work hard and NOT to sit around complaining about how difficult it is waiting for help or free stuff from the government.

if you have the resources to legally immigrate to the US, then you probably already have a leg up on most Americans. Immigrating to the US costs about $11,000. Most people couldn't come up with that in this country without taking out loans. It's nearly impossible for all but the most affluent in other countries.

But I'm sure you're very proud of your Double-Wide.

The funny thing about Reagan is that he's the only Republican since Teddy Roosevelt who left office without leaving a recession (Hoover, Ike, Nixon, Ford, Both Bushes, Trump), being forced to resign (Nixon), or getting voted out of office (Taft, Hoover, Ford, Bush-41, Trump). So what you guys have to do is build this mythology around him that all the bad stuff wasn't his fault.

The fact you include Trump in simply hilarious. Had the Chinese no released the virus on the world, the US would be absolutely KILLING it on the economic front. We are not in a v-shape recovery and the economy will boom for a bit since it is opening back up. Demented Joe will give out more money to people trying to falsely prop up his disastrous economic agenda for a bit, but it will fail and fail horribly.

We have been through this before but Democrats are either too dense, too ignorant or a bit of both to get it. Falsely propping up the economy by giving short-term fixes like stimulus and handouts is a recipe for disaster. Building the economy by making businesses stronger and more profitable leads to more higher paying jobs...real ones, not manufactured. Allowing people to keep more of their hard earned money helps the economy, not taking it and doling out as government sees fit. The EU model the left adores so much allows for very little exceptionalism and rewards mediocrity. Of course the mediocre and even less love this model, the exceptional, not so much. The true ruling class, ultra-elites(Bezos, Gates, et al) want more power and they will have it in such a model.

Not sure why I waste my time. Very few die-hard Democrats can be convinced they have been wrong or misled. Admitting fault takes humility, introspection and an open mind. These traits are essentially taken away by programming from pre-K on.

if you have the resources to legally immigrate to the US, then you probably already have a leg up on most Americans. Immigrating to the US costs about $11,000. Most people couldn't come up with that in this country without taking out loans. It's nearly impossible for all but the most affluent in other countries.

But I'm sure you're very proud of your Double-Wide.

LOL...you should tell that to my wife’s family. They escaped a Communist regime and came to the US with very, very little money, having to leave everything but the clothes on their backs behind. All have been successful. You are sorely mistaken and they would all laugh in your face with just how naive you are. They knew the US rewarded hard work, so they put their nose to the grindstone and did it. They had to work jobs that were frankly well beneath their abilities because they didn’t know the language. They had technical college degrees from their country of origin, but didn’t see it as beneath them to do manual labor.

My wife wore hand me down clothes at school because her parents couldn’t afford new ones. She got no benefit from affirmative action because she was evidently privileged due to the color of her skin, despite her economic status. Neither her nor her parents knew one word of English when they came into the country. Despite these hurdles, she is now a physician. Amazing huh? Not really. She worked hard, studied and did what she needed to do despite not being afforded the privideges of many. Instead of complaining about how unfair it was that the vast majority, if not all, of her classmates had more resources than she did, she took the approach that we are all in the same classroom and have the same opportunity to make good grades and become successful. What do you know...it works.

Americans are spoiled. I am one of them. I admit that. The difference is while I was not under-priviledged growing up, I didn’t sit back and just hope I could be as successful as my family, I worked to get there. I never expected a handout. I never expected the “rich” to pay my way.

The fact you include Trump in simply hilarious. Had the Chinese no released the virus on the world, the US would be absolutely KILLING it on the economic front. We are not in a v-shape recovery and the economy will boom for a bit since it is opening back up. Demented Joe will give out more money to people trying to falsely prop up his disastrous economic agenda for a bit, but it will fail and fail horribly.

1) we were heading into a recession before the Virus hit.
2) The Virus wouldn't have had as much of an impact if Trump had handled it competently.
3) Mitch is already trying to claim that Biden's recovery will have nothing to do with the fact that he did what Trump couldn't do for most of the last year.

We have been through this before but Democrats are either too dense, too ignorant or a bit of both to get it. Falsely propping up the economy by giving short-term fixes like stimulus and handouts is a recipe for disaster.

We've been through this before, but you never get the point. The economy ONLY recovers when there is an increase in government spending. It's how we've gotten out of every recession since the Great Depression. Even Ronny Ray-gun had economic growth only because he was pissing away billions on $600.00 toilet seats.

Allowing people to keep more of their hard earned money helps the economy, not taking it and doling out as government sees fit. The EU model the left adores so much allows for very little exceptionalism and rewards mediocrity. Of course the mediocre and even less love this model, the exceptional, not so much. The true ruling class, ultra-elites(Bezos, Gates, et al) want more power and they will have it in such a model.

Yawn, guy, most people are mediocre, and our system doesn't reward anything but greed and bad behavior. The real problem you guys have is that even the ultra-rich are starting to figure out you people really don't know what the fuck you are doing, and they are probably better off paying a little more in taxes than they are waiting for you clowns to crash the economy again and cost them a lot more.

Not sure why I waste my time. Very few die-hard Democrats can be convinced they have been wrong or misled. Admitting fault takes humility, introspection and an open mind. These traits are essentially taken away by programming from pre-K on.

Again, guy, I voted Republican until 2008. Then I looked at my busted 401K, my underwater mortgage and my reduction in salary after my "I'm glad I don't have to deal with a union" boss screwed me over after I busted up my knee.

It shouldn't have taken me FOUR Republican Recessions to figure out that Republicans didn't know what they were doing on the economic front... or they know exactly what they are doing, screwing over working people to benefit the rich.

If we only voted on economic issues, if we took all the bullshit about race, religions, gays, abortions, Dr. Fucking Seuss and Mr. Potato head (Yes, this is really an issue for some reason), The Republicans would lose every time. Because most of us aren't going to be the big business success. Most of us are going to be working for someone else, and we should expect to be treated fairly and paid a living wage and get the benefits we were promised.

Instead, what you get are guys like Ray from Cleveland, who lives in a slum, lives off of disability and whines all day about the evil government holding him back.

if you have the resources to legally immigrate to the US, then you probably already have a leg up on most Americans. Immigrating to the US costs about $11,000.

Where did you pull that number out of?

U.S. Citizenship Costs
In this guide, we’ll cover who is required to pay, how and where to submit payments, and what to do if you can’t afford the fees. To learn more about naturalization, check out our detailed guide to U.S. citizenship.
How much does it cost to become a U.S. citizen?
The current naturalization fee for a U.S. citizenship application is $725.

That total includes $640 for application processing and $85 for biometrics services, both of which are nonrefundable, regardless of whether the U.S. government approves or rejects an application. Some applicants, however, can have these fees reduced or waived entirely.

Forum List

Back