My white privilege

Right, there are quite a few Cleetus and Billy-Bobs who can afford to play golf at exclusive courses and live in areas where the average home price is 500k with many over several million. Keep in mind, 500k buys a MUCH nicer home than what you can get.

Dun, der, Cleetus, until you dun der tell me which state you live in, I'll take your claims with a grain of salt.

I have seen “nice” areas far too often in big cities.

I know. too many darkies, amiright?

Like I said, I am glad you think are are living well. Stay there. We certainly don’t need left-minded folks screwing everything up in the South like they have in their own states.

The South has been screwed up since the begining.

There's a reason why if you want to portray a character as a stupid person, give him a southern accent. People deduct 20 IQ Points. (Just like they add 20 IQ points for a British Accent.)

Right, there are quite a few Cleetus and Billy-Bobs who can afford to play golf at exclusive courses and live in areas where the average home price is 500k with many over several million. Keep in mind, 500k buys a MUCH nicer home than what you can get.

Dun, der, Cleetus, until you dun der tell me which state you live in, I'll take your claims with a grain of salt.

I have seen “nice” areas far too often in big cities.

Like I said, I am glad you think are are living well. Stay there. We certainly don’t need left-minded folks screwing everything up in the South like they have in their own states.

The South has been screwed up since the begining.

There's a reason why if you want to portray a character as a stupid person, give him a southern accent. People deduct 20 IQ Points. (Just like they add 20 IQ points for a British Accent.)
> There's a reason why if you want to portray a character as a stupid person, give him a southern accent. People deduct 20 IQ Points. (Just like they add 20 IQ points for a British Accent.)

I know several people who happen to have a Southern accent who are also nuclear engineers and rocket scientists. I am not exaggerating.

They will be taking humans to Mars in my lifetime.

What do you do, and what is your most significant accomplishment in life?

I am white. If privilege applied to me because of my skin color, I would be earning a high 5 figure income with a degree from a college of my choosing on the back of a full-ride scholarship. My privilege would have shielded me from some of the dumbest decisions I ever made in my life. I wouldn't be here dedicating almost 80% of mine and my grandmother's monthly income to bills and survival. We don't enjoy any privilege because of our skin color. Being white never made our lives any easier.

We are a lower-middle-class family who barely has enough money to make ends meet. If there was a privilege, we never knew about it. I am sure the billions of white people who existed in the world before me and throughout history who suffered from

Are our personalities set in stone, or can we work on – even improve – them?
Read more

The study, which looked at 16 different ideological orientations, could have profound implications for identifying and supporting people most vulnerable to radicalisation across the political and religious spectrum.
... would have loved to have known about the privilege their skin color supposedly imbued them with. Maybe it would have spared their lives and shielded them from unnecessary suffering. White privilege is hogwash. It reeks of jealousy and has no basis in reality.

My white privilege does not exist.

For the sake of discussion...look at the possible other side.

"White privilege" doesn't mean there aren't poor white people...but maybe in can mean the difference between the frying pan and the fire.

I'm thinking, for example, of the justice syste

Your statement: "My privilege would have shielded me from some of the dumbest decisions I ever made in my life."

Maybe, if you had been poor AND black....your "dumb" decisions would have landed you in the juvenile justice system and from their the adult justice system in a downward spiral hitting up against laws like 3 strikes.

It's pretty much proven that black youth's are much more likely to be incarcerated than white youth's for the same crimes. So, that might be a more realistic way to see what white privelege is even though for many it's not much of a privilege.

Another example might be one aspect of poverty itself.

One of the factors that has made black poverty so entrenched is through a systemic system of laws and of violence (white race riots) towards black property owners and businesses and homes and communities that destroyed wealth and the ability to pass it to their children and so on. So as a community - whites (in general) have not had to endure that. Poverty has a lot of causes of course, some in our control, some not. But I think that is one example how race was a factor.

Another one could be this. Even though you and your grandmother are poor? Do you live in a fairly safe neighborhood? Redlining, a practice of maintaining racial segregation in the housing market often relegated black families to the worse neighborhoods - neighborhoods more likely to have the town landfill and other nice amenities located nearby, areas that white people left when black people moved in. When those areas begin to reflect the changing home values, more renters than homeowners, crime increases, incomes go down, people are stuck. Maybe white privilege in poverty means the difference between being poor in a dangerous community or poor in a somewhat safer one.

Just thoughts on a different way of looking at it :dunno:
My partner is doing her masters in social work at the moment. She is quite argumentative with the lecturers. Not only are they covering off on white privilege, but gender privilege and able-bodied privilege, too. I personally think the wrong word is being used. Maybe advantage is a better word. And despite what Templar has said he has got the wrong end of the stick (as did I). When academics are talking about white privilege they are talking about things that white people take for granted, not their wealth or lackthereof.
ie - I as a whitey, walk into a gas station after filling up my Subaru. I'm wearing a t-shirt, sneakers and jeans. The attendant hardly gives me a second look. If the guy is black, under the same circumstances, the attendant is giving him a little more attention in terms of watching him while he is in the store.

ie - I as a whitey, walk into a gas station after filling up my Subaru. I'm wearing a t-shirt, sneakers and jeans. The attendant hardly gives me a second look. If the guy is black, under the same circumstances, the attendant is giving him a little more attention in terms of watching him while he is in the store.

That's pretty much a duh statement. If true, why would they be paying more attention to the black? Is it because of the color of their skin, or past experiences and statistics?

My suburb was a thriving city at one time. People came from all over the country to experience all the stores, the great malls, and at one time, the largest mall in the country.

Blacks moved in. Now we don't have one major store in the area. The malls we had are either entirely or partly closed down. The stores that remain open are being robbed on a regular basis, or their customers cars are being stolen or they are being robbed at the ATM.

Do you suppose all these places closed up because they didn't like the skin color of people who started to go to their stores?

I know several people who happen to have a Southern accent who are also nuclear engineers and rocket scientists. I am not exaggerating.

They will be taking humans to Mars in my lifetime.

What do you do, and what is your most significant accomplishment in life?

Not being an inbred, bible thumping moron from the South.

That's pretty much a duh statement. If true, why would they be paying more attention to the black? Is it because of the color of their skin, or past experiences and statistics?

My suburb was a thriving city at one time. People came from all over the country to experience all the stores, the great malls, and at one time, the largest mall in the country.

Blacks moved in. Now we don't have one major store in the area. The malls we had are either entirely or partly closed down. The stores that remain open are being robbed on a regular basis, or their customers cars are being stolen or they are being robbed at the ATM.

Do you suppose all these places closed up because they didn't like the skin color of people who started to go to their stores?

Tell us again how not racist you are, Ray, that shit never gets old.

No, too many slums. The South has a higher percentage of African Americans or did you forget?

Right, because there aren’t states in the South that have nice things. You live in a the blue ghetto bubble and have been told it is nice and you are doing well. Funny stuff.

Stereotype much? I thought enlightened lefties have said not to do that. I guess if it suits your argument it is ok. Many of the parent’s at my kids private school have southern accents. Granted, not hillbilly Southern, but Southern nonetheless. My doctor is from the South as is as southern as they come. As I stated before, your income in the suburbs of Chicago would not even be the average in my ”suburb”. Many of us do have Southern accents but we are friendlier, have nicer homes, nicer cars and better jobs, but I guess, according to you, it is US who have IQ problems.

Not being an inbred, bible thumping moron from the South.

Instead you are a Godless, immoral, guilt-ridden lefty living in a slum in the upper mid-West. Congrats on your accomplishments. If I need my resume updated, I know who NOT to come to.

Last edited:
No, too many slums. The South has a higher percentage of African Americans or did you forget?

Uh, you guys have more poverty than we do... Sorry.

Right, because there aren’t states in the South that have nice things. You live in a the blue ghetto bubble and have been told it is nice and you are doing well. Funny stuff.

Naw, guy, I've been to the South and was able to make comparisons. I've been to Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, and Tennessee.

Stereotype much? I thought enlightened lefties have said not to do that. I guess if it suits your argument it is ok. Many of the parent’s at my kids private school have southern accents. Granted, not hillbilly Southern, but Southern nonetheless. My doctor is from the South as is as southern as they come. As I stated before, your income in the suburbs of Chicago would not even be the average in my ”suburb”. Many of us do have Southern accents but we are friendlier, have nicer homes, nicer cars and better jobs, but I guess, according to you, it is US who have IQ problems.

Again, since you won't tell us the state you live in, I have a feeling your are being deceitful.

Instead you are a Godless, immoral, guilt-ridden lefty living in a slum in the upper mid-West. Congrats on your accomplishments. If I need my resume updated, I know who NOT to come to.

Do they have resumes for "Head Possum Catcher"?

Hey, guy, you know, you can have morals without believing in an Angry Sky Fairy... just saying. In fact, if anything, Atheists are MORE moral than Christians because we know there isn't an invisible pixie watching us every moment, but we still manage to do the right thing.

Meanwhile, how many Preachers get caught with rent boys and piles of crystal meth?

Uh, you guys have more poverty than we do... Sorry.

In my state at a least, that happens to be because we have more(percentage wise) African Americans than your state. The poverty rate in Illinois amoung African Americans is higher than the poverty rate of African Americans in my state and the poverty rate among whites is about the same. The difference is that Illiniois only has 13.2% Africian Americans and my state is nearly double that. Quite ironically, you are bashing my state for having a higher poverty rate and yet yours would be higher if the same statistics held and you doubled your African American population.

Naw, guy, I've been to the South and was able to make comparisons. I've been to Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, and Tennessee.

You must have gone to all the wrong places. It is easy to do. I know going to Chicago, NY, LA did it for me. No way I would want to live in those cesspools, but hey, to each his own.

Again, since you won't tell us the state you live in, I have a feeling your are being deceitful.

Nope, not deceitful. You can find many towns in the South that surpass the average income in and around Chicago.

Hey, guy, you know, you can have morals without believing in an Angry Sky Fairy... just saying. In fact, if anything, Atheists are MORE moral than Christians because we know there isn't an invisible pixie watching us every moment, but we still manage to do the right thing.

Meanwhile, how many Preachers get caught with rent boys and piles of crystal meth?

Atheists don’t do the right thing based on morals, they do what is right for them at the moment and if it happens to be the moral thing to do as well they beat their chests and tout their supposed morality. In others words, they only look out for what is best/good for them overall and doing the moral thing, for the sake of morality alone, is not actually factored into their decisions. This is the Democratic way.

In my state at a least, that happens to be because we have more(percentage wise) African Americans than your state. The poverty rate in Illinois amoung African Americans is higher than the poverty rate of African Americans in my state and the poverty rate among whites is about the same. The difference is that Illiniois only has 13.2% Africian Americans and my state is nearly double that. Quite ironically, you are bashing my state for having a higher poverty rate and yet yours would be higher if the same statistics held and you doubled your African American population.

Well, you won't tell us which state that is, probably because you know I'd crunch the numbers and find you are doing far worse than Illinois.

but do blame the darkies for systematic racism. While your at it, I'm surprised you didn't say those Asian ladies who got shot on Tuesday all had it coming.

You must have gone to all the wrong places. It is easy to do. I know going to Chicago, NY, LA did it for me. No way I would want to live in those cesspools, but hey, to each his own.

yeah, I know, too many darkies... we got it.

Nope, not deceitful. You can find many towns in the South that surpass the average income in and around Chicago.

Then tell us what state you live in.

Atheists don’t do the right thing based on morals, they do what is right for them at the moment and if it happens to be the moral thing to do as well they beat their chests and tout their supposed morality. In others words, they only look out for what is best/good for them overall and doing the moral thing, for the sake of morality alone, is not actually factored into their decisions. This is the Democratic way.

Okay, let's look at that. Now, I grew up Catholic, and I was told all sorts of shit was a sin. Getting a hard on when you saw little Sally after you both hit puberty was a sin. Eating meat on a Friday during Lent was a sin. Etc.

When you stop shivering in your boots over an imaginary sky pixie, then you evaluate things based on ACTUAL morality. Nothing wrong with eating meat on Friday, but killing people is wrong. That's easy enough.

Forum List

Back