My welds are atrocious...

murdocktable.JPG

Attachments

• Maquinitas.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
I got me ona them thar MIGS wiffout gas ! I put me some warr in it and it werent worf a fuck.
Puts S6 in Harbor freight flux machine/No gas...cuzz it said dont need none.
What size wire ? " It's reglar warr !' Same as they all'unz use !!!

As a machinist we always had someone in the shop that was either competent at welding,or in some cases were masters at it depending on the shop.
Seeing the great welders in action was cool as hell!!!
They could stack dimes like nobody's business!!
Yeah. "stacking dimes" is generally a TIG/Pulse thing due to heat control. Guys doing it with warr feedin is dunn it rong.
Looks good on the front. Wont take a bend test or cut and etch...too cold, normally.
If you want to learn..crank wire intil it blows holes in a straight line. THEN turn the thing down.Fuck the front. What does the back of the weld look like ? Lotta women are the same ;)

As a machinist we always had someone in the shop that was either competent at welding,or in some cases were masters at it depending on the shop.
Ironic...Most machinist can't weld or fit by hand worth a damn...most grinders/fitters/welders cant even read a mic....they have the "eye" to judge things. Like most carpenters can't build furniture and a furniture builder doesn't stand a chance forming up a tapered staircase. Takes all kinds.

Ironic...Most machinist can't weld or fit by hand worth a damn...most grinders/fitters/welders cant even read a mic....they have the "eye" to judge things. Like most carpenters can't build furniture and a furniture builder doesn't stand a chance forming up a tapered staircase. Takes all kinds.
I guess I'm an oddball cause I can frame a house or build fine furniture,, I can weld up a storm and I can do machinist work with the best of them,,,

and those are just of few of my specialties,,,

I guess I'm an oddball cause I can frame a house or build fine furniture,, I can weld up a storm and I can do machinist work with the best of them,,,

Then you "might be an old guy" Like me. Made the windows too. Made the stickers for the orchids in the glass and "bead blasted" with arm and hammer baking soda. Fun stuff !
p9300003.jpg
pa020005.jpg

Built some cars over the years. Chrome moly tube one piece fenders frames and one piece 304 mirror,attached
cruiserweb.jpg
with rivet nuts. Ever use them ? Cool technology.

Then you "might be an old guy" Like me. Made the windows too. Made the stickers for the orchids in the glass and "bead blasted" with arm and hammer baking soda. Fun stuff !View attachment 417759View attachment 417760

nice work,,

truth is I just like doing stuff and have had many opportunities to expand on them,,

and before I dropped out of high school the 3rd time I had 2 yrs of wood shop 2 yrs of metal shop 2 yrs of printing 2 yrs of drafting and 2 yrs of auto body in the VoTech program that got me certified,,,

and at 56 have a 3000 sq ft shop full of stuff,, been stuck making windows for the last 12 yrs,,
I did get to make several smaller projects including a lot of mission style furniture and woodstrip canoe and a teardrop trailer,,

plan on purging the windows next yr and doing canoes and teardrop trailer for my end of life work,,

Meh.. I was a fabricator before I was a machinist.
Fabricating is child's play compared to machining.

if you know your numbers machining is pretty easy,,, its the machines that get complicated,,,

Get a decent welder and ditch the flux core.
I bought a Hobart 210 and couldnt get it to weld for shit until I started using shield gas.
It made a world of difference!!! I'm no expert but I've welded leaf spring mounts that have endured a shitload of abuse in some serious off road conditions.
You can see the difference here. The left is with shielding gas the right with flux core in the exact same conditions. The porosity with the flux core is ridiculous!!!
Oh...when in doubt turn up the heat!!

View attachment 417719
I used flux core the time, especially out on the trail. I drew the line at hauling welding gas on a rock crawling rig and no one ever complained about the neatness or looks of my trail welding. Stuck together good enough to get your shit off the trail was always good enough. One thing about carrying a welder was that I didn't have to haul as much beer.

Then you "might be an old guy" Like me. Made the windows too. Made the stickers for the orchids in the glass and "bead blasted" with arm and hammer baking soda. Fun stuff !View attachment 417759View attachment 417760

Meh... I built out of wood as a hobby.
I machined parts that last a lifetime....including firearm parts.

Meh... I built out of wood as a hobby.
I machined parts that last a lifetime....including firearm parts.
Good man ! I gunsmithed at the Colt custom shop in the mid eighties. Prepping before and after engravers, then bluing.All hand work. I didn't make any parts but crap for myself...threaded and chambered a few barrel blanks but nothing crazy. More of a file.buffer master than machinist, for sure !

if you know your numbers machining is pretty easy,,, its the machines that get complicated,,,

Real machining is far from easy.
I've made parts for the NASA shuttle program as well as the prototype F-22 fighter.
I can build the engine in your car from scratch,as in from a billet chunk of metal. And yes I can program the machine to make it or I can do it on a manual machine.
Is this easy?

Real machining is far from easy.
I've made parts for the NASA shuttle program as well as the prototype F-22 fighter.
I can build the engine in your car from scratch,as in from a billet chunk of metal. And yes I can program the machine to make it or I can do it on a manual machine.
Is this easy?

Looks like we skyjacked a thread...LOL
I can bore it, line bore it,do the head work, assemble etc(70's style)

Forum List

Back