My welds are atrocious...

As a machinist we always had someone in the shop that was either competent at welding,or in some cases were masters at it depending on the shop.
Seeing the great welders in action was cool as hell!!!
They could stack dimes like nobody's business!!
Ironic...Most machinist can't weld or fit by hand worth a damn...most grinders/fitters/welders cant even read a mic....they have the "eye" to judge things. Like most carpenters can't build furniture and a furniture builder doesn't stand a chance forming up a tapered staircase. Takes all kinds.

Meh.. I was a fabricator before I was a machinist.
Fabricating is child's play compared to machining.
if you know your numbers machining is pretty easy,,, its the machines that get complicated,,,

Real machining is far from easy.
I've made parts for the NASA shuttle program as well as the prototype F-22 fighter.
I can build the engine in your car from scratch,as in from a billet chunk of metal. And yes I can program the machine to make it or I can do it on a manual machine.
Is this easy?

I was talking in the simplest form of it,, yes the more complex the part being made makes a huge difference,,

Notice all my sponsor stickers ?

corporate_flag.jpg

Get a decent welder and ditch the flux core.
I bought a Hobart 210 and couldnt get it to weld for shit until I started using shield gas.
It made a world of difference!!! I'm no expert but I've welded leaf spring mounts that have endured a shitload of abuse in some serious off road conditions.
You can see the difference here. The left is with shielding gas the right with flux core in the exact same conditions. The porosity with the flux core is ridiculoelds are far beter.
Oh...when in doubt turn up the heat!!

View attachment 417719
I used flux core the time, especially out on the trail. I drew the line at hauling welding gas on a rock crawling rig and no one ever complained about the neatness or looks of my trail welding. Stuck together good enough to get your shit off the trail was always good enough. One thing about carrying a welder was that I didn't have to haul as much beer.

Sure you can make metal stick with flux core.
But if you really want clean welds shielded is far better.

As a machinist we always had someone in the shop that was either competent at welding,or in some cases were masters at it depending on the shop.
Seeing the great welders in action was cool as hell!!!
They could stack dimes like nobody's business!!
Ironic...Most machinist can't weld or fit by hand worth a damn...most grinders/fitters/welders cant even read a mic....they have the "eye" to judge things. Like most carpenters can't build furniture and a furniture builder doesn't stand a chance forming up a tapered staircase. Takes all kinds.

Meh.. I was a fabricator before I was a machinist.
Fabricating is child's play compared to machining.
if you know your numbers machining is pretty easy,,, its the machines that get complicated,,,

Real machining is far from easy.
I've made parts for the NASA shuttle program as well as the prototype F-22 fighter.
I can build the engine in your car from scratch,as in from a billet chunk of metal. And yes I can program the machine to make it or I can do it on a manual machine.
Is this easy?

I was talking in the simplest form of it,, yes the more complex the part being made makes a huge difference,,

Outa my league there cowboy.:)

I bought a Hobart 210 and couldnt get it to weld for shit until I started using shield gas.
It made a world of difference!!! I'm no expert but I've welded leaf spring mounts that have endured a shitload of abuse in some serious off road conditions.
You can see the difference here. The left is with shielding gas the right with flux core in the exact same conditions. The porosity with the flux core is ridiculoelds are far beter.

View attachment 417719
I used flux core the time, especially out on the trail. I drew the line at hauling welding gas on a rock crawling rig and no one ever complained about the neatness or looks of my trail welding. Stuck together good enough to get your shit off the trail was always good enough. One thing about carrying a welder was that I didn't have to haul as much beer.

Fuck that. Gimme an electrode any day

View attachment 417719

Fuck that. Gimme an electrode any day
der

Can you weld thin metal with a stick welder?

Funny story my front bumper came off my truck and I was pissed off arc welded it back in place with no goggles on, in the morning.

I was seeing spots for a week , but it worked

Forum List

Back