My Objection to Religion

Such as the absolute belief that there is not one true way?

Live and let live. The evidence militates against there being one true path. Given the diversity in human ability and capability can the general garment of any religion be a perfect fit for all? Just a a suit of clothing may fit one person perfectly, yet another might find it to be too tight or too loose. Just so with religion. Just as the doctrines of a given religion may fit one person perfectly, another may find them insufficient to their needs or not need them at all.

Until there is objective and independently verifiable proof that there is only one path suitable for all, I will continue to think that it does not exist. So, you see, my thoughts on this issue can change, my belief is not absolute.

Live and let live. The evidence militates against there being one true path. Given the diversity in human ability and capability can the general garment of any religion be a perfect fit for all? Just a a suit of clothing may fit one person perfectly, yet another might find it to be too tight or too loose. Just so with religion. Just as the doctrines of a given religion may fit one person perfectly, another may find them insufficient to their needs or not need them at all.

Until there is objective and independently verifiable proof that there is only one path suitable for all, I will continue to think that it does not exist. So, you see, my thoughts on this issue can change, my belief is not absolute.

Nice try-----you are ABSOLUTELY convinced there are more ways than one until you find objective and independently verifiable proof.

Humans are stupid----where do you intend to find any objective truth to verify or dispute that statement?

Just the difference in our beliefs, I guess. My take on religion is that it does not exist to make the path suitable for the people, but to make the people suitable for the path. :)

Just the difference in our beliefs, I guess. My take on religion is that it does not exist to make the path suitable for the people, but to make the people suitable for the path. :)

I think you nailed it right there. And of course, i have to take it to the next step. Why are people so arrogant to assume that God has to make things their way? It should be be the opposite way around. people should be seeking to know God's will, not telling him their's.

But the beauty of the gospel is its straight and narrow, it still provides room for flexibility, should the circumstances arise but its very constant. People want to think they are somehow the exception to the rule. But if everyone were exceptions whats the point of the rule?

There are eternal laws. Without them there could be no good or evil because laws deliniate the two. Without righteousness and wickedness there could be no happiness nor sorrow. Sorrow comes from sin in the world.

Nice try-----you are ABSOLUTELY convinced there are more ways than one until you find objective and independently verifiable proof.

Humans are stupid----where do you intend to find any objective truth to verify or dispute that statement?

A high degree of certainty does not imply an absolute.

As for your second statement, it is a value judgement and, as with matters of taste, it will always be open to debate. Now, about the causes of your misanthropy...

Ideed, it is not about making the path suitable for people, it is about people finding the path suitable to them.

I think you nailed it right there. And of course, i have to take it to the next step. Why are people so arrogant to assume that God has to make things their way? It should be be the opposite way around. people should be seeking to know God's will, not telling him their's.

But the beauty of the gospel is its straight and narrow, it still provides room for flexibility, should the circumstances arise but its very constant. People want to think they are somehow the exception to the rule. But if everyone were exceptions whats the point of the rule?

There are eternal laws. Without them there could be no good or evil because laws deliniate the two. Without righteousness and wickedness there could be no happiness nor sorrow. Sorrow comes from sin in the world.

But you continue to beg the question of just how anyone knows what constitutes "God's will".

Hey look if you have a quality of life you are happy with;then that is all that matters, it did seem you are unsure of many different things. In time I suspect they will answer themselves. I can't fix much but I can make suggestions and give opinion. I don't think it is necessary right now for my opinions, you'll be all right.

Who is "He"? Can you point him out? Can you show me where he lives? Your argument is circular, and collapses upon itself.

There is nothing circular about it. God speaks for himself. Its not my argument that is circular but your own. You refuse to open yourself up to listen to Him. So you declare that He cant speak on His own. Which of course makes you think your position is justified. You are the one begging the question that God can't speak. Not because He doesnt, but because you are too closeminded to learn for yourself.

I teach nothing that anyone with desire to know cant go to the Father and learn for themselves. Its a shame there are two many arrogant people who think they know something when they dont even realize they know nothing. But then Socrates always said that was the key to true knowledge. But no one really listens to him either.

Unfortunately, the belief that one's own faith is the only true faith, whether it is religious or secular, is a toxic one. By asserting that a given faith is the onlly true faith, the uncsrupulous and power-hungry have, as history has repeatedly shown us, led the believers of a given faith to commit attrocities in tha name of their faith. Were people to understand that their faith is but one path among many, and there is much to be learned by sharing amongst all these faiths, power-hungry amoral demagogues would have little chance of turning one faith against another, thus sowing the seeds of discord, conflict and death as they have so often.

I don't buy this argument one bit. The deeds of people who believe in a certain religion have nothing to do with the truth of the religion's claims. To say that one religion that says that there is no personal God, another religion that says there are millions of gods, and another religion that says there is one omnipotent God, are all equally viable religions, is garbage. Either there is a God, or there isn't. Either one can work to attain one's ultimate salvation/godhood, or one can't. "To each his own" is a slap in the face of truth.

I don't buy this argument one bit. The deeds of people who believe in a certain religion have nothing to do with the truth of the religion's claims. To say that one religion that says that there is no personal God, another religion that says there are millions of gods, and another religion that says there is one omnipotent God, are all equally viable religions, is garbage. Either there is a God, or there isn't. Either one can work to attain one's ultimate salvation/godhood, or one can't. "To each his own" is a slap in the face of truth.

I agree, but having said that one should try and put that reasoning into a format that doesn't point and judge. I see this as a very difficult to do. Not impossible but difficult , my point here is be willing to show compassion and not chase away a possible mark for salvation. And not saying you are but my point all along and I might add it is difficult not to judge.

It's still the PATH changing, and not the PEOPLE.

But the people do change. They grow into the path they have chosen. If, and when, it becomes insufficient to their needs they find a path which meets those needs. And any path which is unchaging and inflexible will usually lead you to a wall or over a cliff.

There is nothing circular about it. God speaks for himself. Its not my argument that is circular but your own. You refuse to open yourself up to listen to Him. So you declare that He cant speak on His own. Which of course makes you think your position is justified. You are the one begging the question that God can't speak. Not because He doesnt, but because you are too closeminded to learn for yourself.

I teach nothing that anyone with desire to know cant go to the Father and learn for themselves. Its a shame there are two many arrogant people who think they know something when they dont even realize they know nothing. But then Socrates always said that was the key to true knowledge. But no one really listens to him either.

TO whom does God speak?...And why in such muted tones that, apparently, only a select few can hear?

Oh but they do indeed have a great deal to do with truth of a religion's claims. Those who act as if they can violate their faith's tenets with impunity have no faith. Those who commit attrocities in the name of their faith, have no faith. Those who allow these miscreants to violate the tenets of their faith, have no faith. (edit 12/05/06) With this in mind, it does not seem that these followers find the thruths of their faith all that compelling.

If God is infinite, all-encompassing, omnisicent and omnipotent, does it not then stand to reason that there are an infinite number of paths to God?

Forum List

Back