My List of the dumbest things in sports

To me, that's how it should be.

To both points.

Maybe in a Softball League

A lot is riding on the balls and strike call
An occasional missed call is OK

But what we are seeing is that some umpires are just horrible and it is obvious to the fans and announcers

Make a strike the same for each batter

Most of them are already using the hardest irons to hit - tour blades.
Hardest for an amateur maybe, but for robotic pros it offers the greatest advantage if you hit the sweet spot, which is a skill in itself but clearly today's irons are far superior to 30 years ago.

Instead of spending millions updating golf courses, just govern the clubs and balls.
Outside of the drivers that have heads the size of watermelons and sweet spots the size of a softball, the biggest technology advances have come in balls, and most of that helps the higher handicapped players.
I saw a short documentary of how average drive on the PGA tour went up 6+ yards with the release of the proV1.
Like all other sports, golfers of today are just in better physical condition and have access to better coaching techniques than previous generations.
That doesn't explain the entire picture, although it's a factor.

What about law? We don't need lawyers?
Do we have a need for them to improve to improve our society, or are we okay with how they are?

I'd say the latter. Your strawman of "If we're not subsidizing it means we don't need it" doesn't make sense.

Never said any such thing.

I did ask why the tuition isn't going down as the college football revenues keep going up.

And you didn't answer.
:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:
The hell you didn't. And I quote:
Post #26 " Penn State has had a football program bringing in some multiple of these supposed millions of dollars right? Why isn't tuition free by now?"
How is $60 million supposed to make tuition free for the entire University?
You are not only stupid, you are a liar.

If "massive revenue" was being refunded...why is tuition not free at this point? I mean, Michigan has been playing football on TV for over 50 years or so. If they're making $100M a year or whatever it is...shouldn't the tuition be super cheap as compared to a school that doesn't have a football team to bring in this "massive revenue"?
Instead of forcing the entire populace to pay for bloated college prices for mostly pointless degrees.. why not govern the loan process, and end the endless cycle of giving horrible loans without consideration of if they can be paid off (like all other loans)... to which fund constant college expansion and increased rates with zero market consequences.

Making non-college attendees pay for poor choices by college students doesn't make sense.

No, you have to have a human ump.

Come on, man.

It's blasphemy to put a laser in there.

Just the fact that spectators gripe about strike zones shows that they're (and it) part of the spirit of the game as well.
There's no charm in any team losing games due to horrible umps who get 92% of strike calls correct.

It makes me not want to watch the game. How stupid would it be if NBA rims were 9 ft 11 inches one night and 10 ft 1 inch the next. Make the strike zone static.

Instead of forcing the entire populace to pay for bloated college prices for mostly pointless degrees.. why not govern the loan process, and end the endless cycle of giving horrible loans without consideration of if they can be paid off (like all other loans)... to which fund constant college expansion and increased rates with zero market consequences.
Calling something "mostly pointless" is pretty silly but there is nothing that can change your mind. For example, you'll never admit to liking a movie that I bring up. But someone went to college to learn how to light the scene, the costumes the actors were wearing were researched, historians were sometimes consulted on the facts that you see on screen. Often times the movie is based on a book. The author...most likely went to college to learn how to write well. Music...? Design? Its just mind numbing talking to conservatives who think, somehow, all we need in the society are folks who generate a tangible deliverable when they can't see other tangible deliverables in their daily life.
Making non-college attendees pay for poor choices by college students doesn't make sense.
Making non-college attendees subsidize farm systems for the NFL and NBA also doesn't make sense.

There's no charm in any team losing games due to horrible umps who get 92% of strike calls correct.

It makes me not want to watch the game. How stupid would it be if NBA rims were 9 ft 11 inches one night and 10 ft 1 inch the next. Make the strike zone static.
And watching 10-20 minutes of video review in an NFL game doesn't make you ant to watch the game?

The hell you didn't. And I quote:
Post #26 " Penn State has had a football program bringing in some multiple of these supposed millions of dollars right? Why isn't tuition free by now?"
How is $60 million supposed to make tuition free for the entire University?
You are not only stupid, you are a liar.
$60M per year over how many years? 50?

Scientists tell us that is $3B dollars from Football alone. Hell, lets cut it down by a billion because, next you'll state that they didn't make that much suddenly.

$2B plus all of the tax monies that fund the school day in and day out.

Where is all that money going?

$60M per year over how many years? 50?

Scientists tell us that is $3B dollars from Football alone. Hell, lets cut it down by a billion because, next you'll state that they didn't make that much suddenly.

$2B plus all of the tax monies that fund the school day in and day out.

Where is all that money going?
Football revenue supports (meaning pays for) the ENTIRE Athletic Department, dumb ass (and stadium upkeep which you apparently are deeply concerned about).
Did you think it was just put in the bank?
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze and astound.

Football revenue supports (meaning pays for) the ENTIRE Athletic Department, dumb ass (and stadium upkeep which you apparently are deeply concerned about).
Did you think it was just put in the bank?
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze and astound.
So if there was no athletic department outside of football, per say, the money would then go to the college?

Again though...is this the point of a University? To have a football team that supports only other sports? Sounds like if you got rid of all of the sports, you'd not mis the money since, according to your...

"Football revenue supports (meaning pays for) the ENTIRE Athletic Department,"

So if we got rid of all of it....the students and taxpayers wouldn't have to worry about paying the football coach (not to mention the army of assistant coaches, basketball coaches, etc....) and tuition would plummet.

Win/Win.

I think you should put more profanity into your responses...it shows what a fine education you got there. LOL

I don't watch any professional sports.

And I especially wouldn't watch basketball, even if I did.

Only time I ever think about basketball is if I want to lose some morning wood.

You know what's on my list of dumbest things in sports? I'll tell you. A lot of the male sports fans.

Why do they wear their favorite player's jersey that's like five times too big and makes em look like they're wearing a dress? And then they top it off with a pair of ''shorts'' that go almost down to the bottom of their calves with just a hint of two little chicken legs? That's stupid looking. It's the dumbest looking sht I've ever seen.

And turn your hat around. You're supposed to stop wearing your hat backward when you're like twelve or whatever.

Last edited:
Calling something "mostly pointless" is pretty silly but there is nothing that can change your mind. For example, you'll never admit to liking a movie that I bring up. But someone went to college to learn how to light the scene, the costumes the actors were wearing were researched, historians were sometimes consulted on the facts that you see on screen. Often times the movie is based on a book. The author...most likely went to college to learn how to write well. Music...? Design? Its just mind numbing talking to conservatives who think, somehow, all we need in the society are folks who generate a tangible deliverable when they can't see other tangible deliverables in their daily life.
I talk sports and movies all the time with people I politically disagree with, so don't flatter yourself.

To refer to your point, movies, or anything in the arts, don't benefit our country directly. Our country needs good engineers, medical professionals, farming industry, etc. to provide the basic needs for our culture. It would be like saying someone on food stamps also deserves movie tickets, because both "help" them. Well, food directly helps them, a movie might uplift their spirit, but the public shouldn't pay for their recreation.

Conservatism has a large notion of personal responsibility, which is what you're attempting to act against. Why don't you ask these people with college debt who are working unrelated jobs due to bad degrees why they made such a risky or poor choice? Did they simply go into what they loved? That's a short-sighted action, and a loan no company would take on... so college loans shouldn't either. Loans are supposed to be considered as far as a person's ability to pay it off. If a dance major wants $15,000 per year... the market for such a major is almost non-existent, so it's bad business for the loan to be given. Yet, the gov't/college system gives it to them anyways. They're causing the problem, and you want all of us to bail them out, and have the gall to accuse me of being selfish or wrong? You need to point the finger at the individual making the poor choice, and the system for giving such horrible loans. They aren't paying my mortgage, so I shouldn't have to pay for their loans.

So if there was no athletic department outside of football, per say, the money would then go to the college?

Again though...is this the point of a University? To have a football team that supports only other sports? Sounds like if you got rid of all of the sports, you'd not mis the money since, according to your...

"Football revenue supports (meaning pays for) the ENTIRE Athletic Department,"

So if we got rid of all of it....the students and taxpayers wouldn't have to worry about paying the football coach (not to mention the army of assistant coaches, basketball coaches, etc....) and tuition would plummet.

Win/Win.

I think you should put more profanity into your responses...it shows what a fine education you got there. LOL
That's an awful lot of typing to say absolutely nothing.
I will try one last time since you clearly don't have an education, fine or otherwise.
Football is self-sustaining - it pays for itself. If you eliminate it, it would have NO EFFECT on tuition.
And calling you dumb ass is not "profanity", it is simply a fact as can be clearly seen in your pathetic attempts at logical argument.

And watching 10-20 minutes of video review in an NFL game doesn't make you ant to watch the game?
I've never seen a game with 20 min of video review.

I've seen 5-10 minute reviews, and they're annoying, but one that's super long only occurs once if at all in a 3+ hour presentation.

I'm talking about static standards that all are held to, not an amorphic strike zone where the same pitch by 2 pitchers can be called differently. That's stupid because it's inaccurate, and easily fixable.

You know what's on my list of dumbest things in sports? I'll tell you. A lot of the male sports fans.

Why do they wear their favorite player's jersey that's like five times too big and makes em look like they're wearing a dress? And then they top it off with a pair of ''shorts'' that go almost down to the bottom of their calves with just a hint of two little chicken legs? That's stupid looking. It's the dumbest looking sht I've ever seen.

And turn your hat around. You're supposed to stop wearing your hat backward when you're like twelve or whatever.
There's certainly something to a foolishness in an adult wearing a sports jersey outside of a sporting event. I have my closet of jerseys, but as a 40 year old I rarely wear them. I still love to have them though.

I talk sports and movies all the time with people I politically disagree with, so don't flatter yourself.

To refer to your point, movies, or anything in the arts, don't benefit our country directly.
Millions of people are employed in those fields. They pay income taxes, own homes, pay property taxes, employ millions of others through spin-off industries.

If you don't think that benefits the nation directly...you're simply a fool.
Our country needs good engineers, medical professionals, farming industry, etc. to provide the basic needs for our culture. It would be like saying someone on food stamps also deserves movie tickets, because both "help" them. Well, food directly helps them, a movie might uplift their spirit, but the public shouldn't pay for their recreation.
That was a moronic comparison.
Conservatism has a large notion of personal responsibility, which is what you're attempting to act against.

'I don't take responsibility at all'--your god.​

Why don't you ask these people with college debt who are working unrelated jobs due to bad degrees why they made such a risky or poor choice? Did they simply go into what they loved? That's a short-sighted action, and a loan no company would take on... so college loans shouldn't either. Loans are supposed to be considered as far as a person's ability to pay it off. If a dance major wants $15,000 per year... the market for such a major is almost non-existent, so it's bad business for the loan to be given. Yet, the gov't/college system gives it to them anyways. They're causing the problem, and you want all of us to bail them out, and have the gall to accuse me of being selfish or wrong? You need to point the finger at the individual making the poor choice, and the system for giving such horrible loans. They aren't paying my mortgage, so I shouldn't have to pay for their loans.
Wow, you mean and 18 year old made a poor choice? Incredible. PS: there have been people who have flamed out at the STEM jobs too and realized they didn't want to be an engineer or math teacher.

Forum List

Back