My List of the dumbest things in sports

So suddenly a college education isn't important?

In case you're wondering, I just destroyed you yet again. It wasn't that hard.
That's a really dumb argument.

Important doesn't equate to free, and a bland "college education" in the liberal arts actually isn't important, and only puts students in massive debt with minimal job opportunities when they come out. Those are the leaders in the "I spent $50,000 recklessly on a hobby I like in a lackluster field and it's not fair so pay for my mistake!" movement. They are free to try to make it in a high risk field, but society shouldn't have to take on their poor choice.

We should only offer assistance to fields that the country benefits from... like STEM, it's in our interest. It's not in our interest for you to become an interpretive dance major. You should pay for that yourself.

They still bring in a lot of money. College football and Men's College basketball pays for most other sports at the universities for men and women. The people who run the other sports will argue about how much they get for their programs from that.
The other sports clearly benefit from the charity given from the football/basketball programs.. they get a cut of funding for their equipment, uniforms, travel expenses etc. from the men's football/basketball income that they'd never have made on their own merit.

See...this is what happens when I make a point to an intellectually lazy idiot like yourself.

I never said that.

I said there should be farm teams for player development. Let the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos draft players out of private colleges and out of high school. Let them develop their skills, sub in for injured players on the professional level. Stop expecting students and tax payers to subsidize your minor leagues.
I'm not against the idea, but there would have to be a market for it if you wanted to consider it practically. It's fine if you want to propose it in a vacuum, but that's probably the only place it's staying. With the established tradition and culture in college sports, I don't see the sports world abandoning it. I think it's a valued sports commodity, although I'm fine with splitting the athletics from the schooling, as it's largely an outdated farce.

That's a really dumb argument.

Important doesn't equate to free, and a bland "college education" in the liberal arts actually isn't important, and only puts students in massive debt with minimal job opportunities when they come out. Those are the leaders in the "I spent $50,000 recklessly on a hobby I like in a lackluster field and it's not fair so pay for my mistake!" movement. They are free to try to make it in a high risk field, but society shouldn't have to take on their poor choice.

We should only offer assistance to fields that the country benefits from... like STEM, it's in our interest. It's not in our interest for you to become an interpretive dance major. You should pay for that yourself.
We don't benefit from Hotel management or restaurant management?

I'm not against the idea, but there would have to be a market for it if you wanted to consider it practically. It's fine if you want to propose it in a vacuum, but that's probably the only place it's staying. With the established tradition and culture in college sports, I don't see the sports world abandoning it.
There is zero chance we will ever abandon it.
I think it's a valued sports commodity, although I'm fine with splitting the athletics from the schooling, as it's largely an outdated farce.
And it's also nowhere close to the mandate of colleges (inter-collegiate competition...intramurals are just fine).

The other sports clearly benefit from the charity given from the football/basketball programs.. they get a cut of funding for their equipment, uniforms, travel expenses etc. from the men's football/basketball income that they'd never have made on their own merit.
True.

The other students who don't care about sports and their parents and the taxpayers don't benefit at all. Other sports...cha-ching!

True.

The other students who don't care about sports and their parents and the taxpayers don't benefit at all. Other sports...cha-ching!
Are you certain none of the massive revenue funds back to the college? Or are you just making that up.

We don't benefit from Hotel management or restaurant management?
Consumers do... but neither are necessities.

I'd be fine with some sort of subsidizing in fields in engineering, medicine, farming, etc. We need talented people there, and it's worth the investment of the country/populace for the basic necessities in infrastructure, food, health care, etc.

Are you certain none of the massive revenue funds back to the college? Or are you just making that up.
If "massive revenue" was being refunded...why is tuition not free at this point? I mean, Michigan has been playing football on TV for over 50 years or so. If they're making $100M a year or whatever it is...shouldn't the tuition be super cheap as compared to a school that doesn't have a football team to bring in this "massive revenue"?

Consumers do... but neither are necessities.

I'd be fine with some sort of subsidizing in fields in engineering, medicine, farming, etc. We need talented people there, and it's worth the investment of the country/populace for the basic necessities in infrastructure, food, health care, etc.
What about law? We don't need lawyers?

Excellent list
Can’t say I disagree with any of it

No, you have to have a human ump.

Come on, man.

It's blasphemy to put a laser in there.

Just the fact that spectators gripe about strike zones shows that they're (and it) part of the spirit of the game as well.

- Allowing pro golfers to continue to use state of the art technology to continually break golf courses. Baseball uses wood bats when metal is available, make pro golfers have limits on their clubs and balls.
Most of them are already using the hardest irons to hit - tour blades.

Outside of the drivers that have heads the size of watermelons and sweet spots the size of a softball, the biggest technology advances have come in balls, and most of that helps the higher handicapped players.

Like all other sports, golfers of today are just in better physical condition and have access to better coaching techniques than previous generations.

No, you have to have a human ump.

Come on, man.

It's blasphemy to put a laser in there.

Just the fact that spectators gripe about strike zones shows that they're (and it) part of the spirit of the game as well.

I used feel the same about a human umpire being able to see a 3 dimensional plate

But the more I watch the game, it needs a computer defined strike zone

Umpires differ from umpire to umpire and a pitch that is called a strike to one batter will be a ball to another. The box on TV shows how inconsistent umpires are

Batters and pitchers get frustrated because there is no consistency in the strike zone

Let a computer define the strike zone so that a pitch in a certain location is always called a strike. That way, a pitcher can practice against the computer and know which of his pitches are called strikes and which are outside the zone

Umpires differ from umpire to umpire and a pitch that is called a strike to one batter will be a ball to another.

Batters and pitchers get frustrated because there is no consistency in the strike zone

To me, that's how it should be.

To both points.

Most of them are already using the hardest irons to hit - tour blades.

Outside of the drivers that have heads the size of watermelons and sweet spots the size of a softball, the biggest technology advances have come in balls, and most of that helps the higher handicapped players.

Like all other sports, golfers of today are just in better physical condition and have access to better coaching techniques than previous generations.

These have always been my favorite balls...

1670598280901.jpeg

Sometimes I'll do the red ones if it's a links course.

But I like the blue ones.

Forum List

Back