My Harley quit starting!

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
It go's "click, click, putt, click, click, etc, etc. the battery is a gonner. Completely flat. So I got another older battery and got the same. So I took the battery out all together and joked the bike up to a non running car battery and got the same. I will also note that all the lights work, headlight nice and brite, fuel pump pumps, it just don't start. So the plan is, rebuild the solonoid, replace the relay, and check ALL the wires Inbetween for any ware or damage. I'm not a machanic so if any of that sounds wrong please let me know. Thanks.

It go's "click, click, putt, click, click, etc, etc. the battery is a gonner. Completely flat. So I got another older battery and got the same. So I took the battery out all together and joked the bike up to a non running car battery and got the same. I will also note that all the lights work, headlight nice and brite, fuel pump pumps, it just don't start. So the plan is, rebuild the solonoid, replace the relay, and check ALL the wires Inbetween for any ware or damage. I'm not a machanic so if any of that sounds wrong please let me know. Thanks.
First step: change your spark plugs.

Smack the starter with a hammer.

Thank goodness the sound level of the world has reduced!
Here's to the same thing happening to all Harleys everywhere.

Take both batteries to an HD dealership and have 'em tested? I would not jump from a car personally. Battery should last ya about 5 years of it's taken care of, trickle charged over winter. The newer lithium batteries will last longer, I don't bother with them; twice the price.

1340 EVO if I recall? Corroborated/ fuel injected?

Last edited:
While the plugs are out try to start agian to see if the starter is good.

I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Tech. First thing I would do is load test the batteries, both of them. If they load test good, then you need to check the amperage draw on the starting circuit when the starter button is pushed. If it's not drawing full current when you hit the start button, then your starter is probably bad, but do check all the connections first.

How old is the bike? Do the lights dim when you hit the starter button?

I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Tech. First thing I would do is load test the batteries, both of them. If they load test good, then you need to check the amperage draw on the starting circuit when the starter button is pushed. If it's not drawing full current when you hit the start button, then your starter is probably bad, but do check all the connections first.

But first, try the 15 minute, $15 fix of putting in new spark plugs.

But first, try the 15 minute, $15 fix of putting in new spark plugs.
Uuuum... no. Sparks plugs have exactly NOTHING to do with the start circuit. FIRST thing to do is load test the batteries.

It's very simple... it's either the battery, the wiring or the starter. It's not the solenoid either so forget that. It wouldn't turn over at all if the solenoid was bad.

That's up there with the rebuild.

Yup. Plugs AND wires. Already bought them. They will go on when I do the solonoid.

Sparks plugs have exactly NOTHING to do with the start circuit. F
I didn't say they did. I am saying that fouled plugs can produce the syptoms he is experiencing. And since this fix is quick and cheap, and unless they have recently been replaced, it's worth doing to possibly save some time and money.

Take both batteries to an HD dealership and have 'em tested? I would not jump from a car personally. Battery should last ya about 5 years of it's taken care of, trickle charged over winter. The newer lithium batteries will last longer, I don't bother with them; twice the price.

Yup. Had batteries tested. They guy recommended checking the starter and related parts. The new battery was the first thing checked. I need one of them testers to. Good point thanks. Here is a link to the specs on a 2008 superglide.

2008 Harley-Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide

I also forgot to mention that the prior owner added a train horn. I poked around there some and found another suspicious item,

image.jpeg

That's the wireing for that horn.

@Ft. Fun Indiana, here are the plug wires. All of that will be going adapt.

image.jpeg

Lots of neglect on this bike.

2008 23+ thousand miles and about 5 years of sitting off and on.

Yup. Had batteries tested. They guy recommended checking the starter and related parts. The new battery was the first thing checked. I need one of them testers to. Good point thanks. Here is a link to the specs on a 2008 superglide.

2008 Harley-Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide

I also forgot to mention that the prior owner added a train horn. I poked around there some and found another suspicious item,

View attachment 286910

That's the wireing for that horn.

@Ft. Fun Indiana, here are the plug wires. All of that will be going adapt.

View attachment 286911

Lots of neglect on this bike.

Cool! Had a 98 Superglide for a few years.

2011 CVO Street Glide these days.

2008 23+ thousand miles and about 5 years of sitting off and on.
Nice low mileage, The sitting around ain't good. But ya stole the thing price wise, so hey.

Sparks plugs have exactly NOTHING to do with the start circuit. F
I didn't say they did. I am saying that fouled plugs can produce the syptoms he is experiencing. And since this fix is quick and cheap, and unless they have recently been replaced, it's worth doing to possibly save some time and money.

I had a pinto that this happened to. I did all the hard stuff first, then my brother comes along, lightly tugs Althea plug wires one by one, and about the third one in the wire came lose from its connection leaving the little clamp on the plug. I have also seen this happen in cars when the plug wire isn't connected solidly as well.

Forum List

Back