Zone1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Why did Jesus say that?
Psalm 22. With his last breath he was still reminding people how this song/prayer ended:

The generation to come will be told of the Lord,
that they may proclaim to a people yet unborn
the deliverance you have brought.

Psalm 22:1
To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

No one really knows exactly why Jesus quoted the Psalm on the cross, but many have speculated.

I think it was because even though Jesus was the son of God and sent to die for our sins. He was also 100% pure human flesh with all the same thoughts, good or bad, as any other person.

He overcame all of the temptations Satan threw his way and fulfilled his purpose.

• Banned
Psalm 22. With his last breath he was still reminding people how this song/prayer ended:

The generation to come will be told of the Lord,
that they may proclaim to a people yet unborn
the deliverance you have brought.

Amen! That statement throws many for a loop.

• Banned
Psalm 22:1
To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

No one really knows exactly why Jesus quoted the Psalm on the cross, but many have speculated.

I think it was because even though Jesus was the son of God and sent to die for our sins. He was also 100% pure human flesh with all the same thoughts, good or bad, as any other person.

He overcame all of the temptations Satan threw his way and fulfilled his purpose.
It ends with Psalm 31 wherein it says "he has done it", which refers to Jesus's final words "It is finished".

Psalm 31
they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn,
that he has done it.

Why did Jesus say that?
In order to fulfill his mission to atone for the sins of the world, his crucifixion was part of the atonement as well as the resurrection. He had to do this alone or it could not be said that Jesus actually saved me from my sins. Had the Father been there or helped in any way, it would diminish who he is and why he was sent into the world. The statement was simply why was not his Father in Heaven there to help him. Perhaps he was not told that he would be alone. Of course, his mortal family was there.

So God sends His only son to earth where He’s brutally tortured and left to die a horrible death and all the sinners get off scot free.

What sense does that make?

• Banned
In order to fulfill his mission to atone for the sins of the world, his crucifixion was part of the atonement as well as the resurrection. He had to do this alone or it could not be said that Jesus actually saved me from my sins. Had the Father been there or helped in any way, it would diminish who he is and why he was sent into the world. The statement was simply why was not his Father in Heaven there to help him. Perhaps he was not told that he would be alone. Of course, his mortal family was there.

I don't think so. It's obvious that Jesus was speaking of the fulfillment of the prophecies is Psalms that were shared here.

So God sends His only son to earth where He’s brutally tortured and left to die a horrible death and all the sinners get off scot free.

Makes perfect sense. He showed Abraham that it's really tough to watch your son die and do it yourself or allow it to be done. The Abraham-Isaac story is a similitude of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. How he died didn't really matter. But, the Romans were in charge of how people were to die.
Now, who are you labeling the sinners that are getting off scot free? Only those who do not repent and ask for forgiveness will get their punishment in the resurrection. They will not be resurrected to the highest degree in heaven and some not even in heaven.

Makes perfect sense. He showed Abraham that it's really tough to watch your son die and do it yourself or allow it to be done. The Abraham-Isaac story is a similitude of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. How he died didn't really matter. But, the Romans were in charge of how people were to die.
Now, who are you labeling the sinners that are getting off scot free? Only those who do not repent and ask for forgiveness will get their punishment in the resurrection. They will not be resurrected to the highest degree in heaven and some not even in heaven.
God could have just snapped His fingers and smited all the sinners and been done with it.

Instead, He has His only son killed.

Makes no sense.

As an Elohim he cried out for his Father .
But Dad was just one voice on the Security Council .

Human sacrifice. So primitive. And then some, I think the Catholics, do a mock cannibal feast where you eat Jesus as a cracker.

God could have just snapped His fingers and smited all the sinners and been done with it.

Makes no sense.
He didn't have anyone killed. The Romans killed him. And, snapping his fingers isn't part of the Plan of Salvation. The Plan is to save as many sinners as possible. Even those involved with the atonement that voted for the Romans to kill Jesus. Thus, the people had their free moral agency to choose to kill him. Not the Father. Statement ignoramus.

Makes no sense.

God is Jesus in the flesh. Jesus didn't come to "smite sinners" but to save sinners like you and me. God demands justice and Jesus paid the debt of our sins by making himself the perfect sacrifice. That's why he is often referred to as "the lamb", as it was customary at that time for Jews to sacrifice a Lamb to God.

Perhaps Jesus thought he would be risen from the cross. When that didn’t happen, he questioned God and got punished by having to die, be entombed and wait to be risen. Moral: Don’t question the Creator.

Perhaps Jesus thought he would be risen from the cross. When that didn’t happen, he questioned God and got punished by having to die, be entombed and wait to be risen. Moral: Don’t question the Creator.

Incorrect.

God is Jesus in the flesh. Jesus didn't come to "smite sinners" but to save sinners like you and me. God demands justice and Jesus paid the debt of our sins by making himself the perfect sacrifice. That's why he is often referred to as "the lamb", as it was customary at that time for Jews to sacrifice a Lamb to God.
From a Catholic homily:

Remember in Exodus how fiery snakes were causing sickness and death among the Israelites? God had Moses fashion a snake and hold it up. Those who looked up at the graven snake were saved. They had to look at what put them in danger in order to be healed.

In the same way, we see Jesus giving his life for all sins. We are healed, by looking up at Jesus bearing all sins. Just as looking at Moses' image of a poisonous snake removed the poison from those bitten, so does our looking at our own sins that Christ bore, provides us healing from the poison of our sins.

Forum List

Back