My dad has a serious problem: book collecting.

can he afford it? if he's a senior- you may want to question if he can or should keep it up. donate some for a library's book sale maybe to keep culling it? use the $ for him.

I'm far more concerned at this time, about cluttering up the house with his books.

if it becomes a,ny kind of hazard then you need to step in. can it be organized & not be a hindrance to pathways etc?

Well, in our Putnam Lake, New York home he probably has 10,000 books, we're in the process of moving to Pawling, New York home, and there's a bookstore in Pawling, he's supposed to be giving up old books, for the new home, but instead he's been buying new books in the Pawling book store.
Time for a Kindle?

can he afford it? if he's a senior- you may want to question if he can or should keep it up. donate some for a library's book sale maybe to keep culling it? use the $ for him.

I'm far more concerned at this time, about cluttering up the house with his books.

if it becomes a,ny kind of hazard then you need to step in. can it be organized & not be a hindrance to pathways etc?

Well, in our Putnam Lake, New York home he probably has 10,000 books, we're in the process of moving to Pawling, New York home, and there's a bookstore in Pawling, he's supposed to be giving up old books, for the new home, but instead he's been buying new books in the Pawling book store.
Time for a Kindle?

it is not the same as the old books

Time for a Kindle?

I agree. I resisted getting one for a long time, but I often spend a lot of time on a boat and there's just not enough room for many books so I gave in. You get used to it and it's great being able to buy a book at any time of the day or night - no matter where you are.

Time for a Kindle?

I agree. I resisted getting one for a long time, but I often spend a lot of time on a boat and there's just not enough room for many books so I gave in. You get used to it and it's great being able to buy a book at any time of the day or night - no matter where you are.

the mrs likes hers

when we go camping and such

You've heard about alcoholics, drug addicts, and gamblers.

But, what about book collectors?

He will spend major amounts of money sometimes 100's of bucks at a time, to fill up half the house with books, until you nearly trip on them.
That's not collecting that's hoarding

He will spend major amounts of money sometimes 100's of bucks at a time, to fill up half the house with books, until you nearly trip on them.

Look at it this way. When he passes you will have a huge collection of books that will be collectors' items. All the young are reading on computers or phones.

My thoughts exactly. But the problem with books is they do take up a lot of space, and if you are a serious collector you're going to run into space issues eventually. I collect vinyl, but records store very easily.

Maybe he can read up on how to find glasses now. Or he could if he had glasses. And just 25 years before computers. Bad timing I guess.

As a kid, my entire family collected books.
Mom, Dad, my older sister.

and I had to read every goddamn book they read, didn't matter that I didn't want to read another love story, my Dad deemed me old enough so I had to read them. And we moved, often, had to haul boxes upon boxes of them, never did one slip away.

so now, you won't find a single book in my home unless I'm reading it. I take everyone to the library and donate it.

My thoughts exactly. But the problem with books is they do take up a lot of space, and if you are a serious collector you're going to run into space issues eventually. I collect vinyl, but records store very easily.

If you "collect" to the point of overfilling your house then you have a problem.

I'll give 3 to 1 odds than he has no idea what books he has and that be buys them for the thrill of buying them and for the satisfaction of having stuff and not for the subject matter or their value as collectibles

Forum List

Back