My Advice: Low Sodium All The Way

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
If you have to, hit Whole Foods. This sounds awesome, but the sodium levels?

http://www.aldenteblog.com/2010/01/casserole-fridays-campbells-soup.

The Ultimate Casserole: Not 1, Not 2, But 3 Cans of Campbell's Soup!
by Tracy Schneider on January 15, 2010
On most Friday evenings throughout the snowy Vermont winter, my friends Zachary and Clark test classic and long-lost casserole recipes, all in the hope of tucking into a steaming hot, one-dish wonder.

Casserole Fridays have been a hit at their house for the last two years, and those easy-to-make casseroles are gaining footing at ours too, particularly on cold, windy nights when the only thing my family really wants to do is eat something warm and hearty next to a blazing fire.

Last week, Clark sent me their latest casserole recipe, possibly the best one yet:

Sherry Chicken may be the ultimate casserole. As we all return to the comfort foods of our childhood, a place of honor is reserved for those dishes made with Campbell's soups. And particularly the cream soups. We had previously tried a few that called for a can of Cream of Mushroom or a can of Cream of Chicken. But when a friend sent us this recipe, which calls for a can of Cream of Mushroom, a can of Cream of Chicken, AND a can of Cream of Celery, how could we resist?

Sherry Chicken Casserole is a favorite in The Virginia Bentley Cookbook. Virginia Bentley was a grande dame. Her husband had been a diplomat, and the pair retired to the Northeast Kingdom (northeast Vermont) where she embraced the ways and wisdom of that corner of the world. Her cookbooks make for great reading--full of commentary on food, customs, and culture. About this recipe she wrote, “This is the canned soup routine carried to its zenith. Don't disdain. It's delicious.”

You are warned in advance that the recipe on the paper looks decidedly peculiar. But it actually works, and, more important, it's marvelous. If you are sensitive to salt, you might want to go with the low-sodium versions of the soups. Otherwise, this is a definite winner. Besides, do you know of any casserole that is simpler to make?

Sherry Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
3 whole/6 half chicken breasts, boned and skinned
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Celery soup
1 cup sherry

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish just big enough for the chicken in one layer.

3. Mix soups and sherry and pour over chicken.

4. Bake for 3 hours.

5. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

Note: If you’d like less salt, replace one or more of the soups with the low-sodium version.

Serves 6.

The Virginia Bentley Cookbook, Virginia Bentley, Houghton Mifflin, 1987

Forum List

Back