Sodium Ion Batteries

goodluck

May 18, 2024
Battery technology is advancing all the time. Recently I heard of a plant in my home state that is making sodium ion batteries. From what I have been reading, the science regarding them is still a little up in the air. And though I am no scientist, they seem to be a good replacement for lithium ion batteries. Though both have their advantages and disadvantages.

To start out, sodium ion batteries are more environmentally friendly. Though they don't hold as much of a charge as lithium ion batteries. Sodium ion batteries have 75-160 watt hours per kilogram, 250-375 watt hours per liter. Lithium ion batteries have 120-260 watt hours per kilogram, 300-600 watt hours per liter. Sodium ion batteries work better at both low temperatures and high temperatures than lithium ion batteries. Also sodium ion batteries are less likely to catch fire. (Possibly much less likely)

Next, sodium ion batteries are up to 1/3 cheaper to make than lithium ion batteries. Neither do we need to import lithium from China. Next, sodium ion batteries take 15 to 30 minutes to charge. Lithium ion batteries take 30 to 60 minutes to charge. As to how often you can recharge them, I haven't found a conclusive answer. One website says that that sodium ion batteries can't be recharged as often as a lithium ion battery can. Though at another website it says that the life cycle of a sodium ion battery is hundreds of thousands times greater than a lithium ion battery. Whatever the case may be, all in all, I would say that sodium ion batteries are the way to go. Until something even better comes along.

Battery technology is advancing all the time. Recently I heard of a plant in my home state that is making sodium ion batteries. From what I have been reading, the science regarding them is still a little up in the air. And though I am no scientist, they seem to be a good replacement for lithium ion batteries. Though both have their advantages and disadvantages.

To start out, sodium ion batteries are more environmentally friendly. Though they don't hold as much of a charge as lithium ion batteries. Sodium ion batteries have 75-160 watt hours per kilogram, 250-375 watt hours per liter. Lithium ion batteries have 120-260 watt hours per kilogram, 300-600 watt hours per liter. Sodium ion batteries work better at both low temperatures and high temperatures than lithium ion batteries. Also sodium ion batteries are less likely to catch fire. (Possibly much less likely)

Next, sodium ion batteries are up to 1/3 cheaper to make than lithium ion batteries. Neither do we need to import lithium from China. Next, sodium ion batteries take 15 to 30 minutes to charge. Lithium ion batteries take 30 to 60 minutes to charge. As to how often you can recharge them, I haven't found a conclusive answer. One website says that that sodium ion batteries can't be recharged as often as a lithium ion battery can. Though at another website it says that the life cycle of a sodium ion battery is hundreds of thousands times greater than a lithium ion battery. Whatever the case may be, all in all, I would say that sodium ion batteries are the way to go. Until something even better comes along.
We could use a Delorean right about now.

Batteries are not an answer to anything, except very short-term (a few hours at best) backup.

• Banned
We could use a Delorean right about now.

The new prototype...

dmc11-1660775898080.JPG

4_DeLorean_Alpha5_gullwingdoors_Cropped.jpg

Forum List

Back