Muscle cars

shoshi

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2020
Do you prefer the Mustang, Camaro or Charger? I like them all but the mustang seems the most customizable.

My memories

1968_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1551390371920a492f3b2253e7Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-12.44.54-PM.png

I have owned a Mustang with plenty of go fast parts. It was fast but not the most fun car that I have owned
20210618_171448.jpg

This is so much more fun because eventually, you will have to go around a corner. Better to do it while sliding at the edge of grip than end up in a ditch.

Last group drive

Do you prefer the Mustang, Camaro or Charger? I like them all but the mustang seems the most customizable.

Are you talking about classic cars or the newer versions?

Of the newer crop, I really like the Charger SRT (the Hellcat Redeye to be specific, but $$$$!!). After that it would be the Mustang. I rented a Camaro once and, frankly, there was nothing about it that really blew my skirt up.

With regards to classic cars, I've got a '69 Charger which is my pride and joy. I've been offered pretty substantial sums for it, but I'm just not prepared to part with it:

50181091162_cb060e2ced_o.jpg

I also have a '69 Firebird which I got a really sweet deal on (although I'm pretty sure I'm letting this one go soon):

279659535_342882541229794_428745315352501026_n.jpg

What's crazy is that there are '69 Camaros out there which have sold for astronomical prices. These two 1969 Camaro ZL1's, chassis #18 and #30, sold as a pair for $1,210,000 (there were only 69 produced that year):

ma13.jpg

Are you talking about classic cars or the newer versions?

Of the newer crop, I really like the Charger SRT (the Hellcat Redeye to be specific, but $$$$!!). After that it would be the Mustang. I rented a Camaro once and, frankly, there was nothing about it that really blew my skirt up.

With regards to classic cars, I've got a '69 Charger which is my pride and joy. I've been offered pretty substantial sums for it, but I'm just not prepared to part with it:

View attachment 645909

I also have a '69 Firebird which I got a really sweet deal on (although I'm pretty sure I'm letting this one go soon):

View attachment 645914

What's crazy is that there are '69 Camaros out there which have sold for astronomical prices. These two 1969 Camaro ZL1's, chassis #18 and #30, sold as a pair for $1,210,000 (there were only 69 produced that year):

View attachment 645923
Does your Charger have the Magnum engine?

They never got the respect they deserved, but the big block Olds and Pontiacs were among the fastest cars in the mid-1960's. Torque and traction gave them amazing 0-50 mph times. My 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee would barely have beaten them.

They never got the respect they deserved, but the big block Olds and Pontiacs were among the fastest cars in the mid-1960's. Torque and traction gave them amazing 0-50 mph times. My 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee would barely have beaten them.

Local guy's got a (I think) '70 Olds 442 Resto-Mod that he's thinking of selling. We haven't talked price yet, but it's got a couple of cosmetic issues that I'm mildly concerned with:

278445903_401379105230934_581382225247065075_n.jpg

It'd be a nice addition if the price is right..

Last edited:
Local guy's got a (I think) '70 Olds 442 Resto-Mod that he's thinking of selling. We haven't talked price yet, but it's got a couple of cosmetic issues with it that I'm mildly concerned with.

It'd be a nice addition if the price is right...View attachment 645944
I had a 1964 Olds Cutlass with the 4-4-2 engine (hi-po 330) but it couldn't keep up with a 1965 Olds Starfire (425) or Catalina 2+2 (421 Tri-Power). The 1965 4-4-2 (400) was faster in the 1/4 mile, but still slower on the street.

P.S. I couldn't load your pic.

Nice color & wheels. What's the drive train?

Not sure. It's had a lot of "custom" work done, so there's no tellin'. He had it at our local "bike night" last week, and we only spoke briefly about it.

It's not something I'm likely to buy but, as I said, for the right price, who knows?

A "Muscle Car" is a regular mid-sized car - usually a coupe - with a monster, stock engine. The original Muscle Car was the Pontiac GTO. The formula for that car was simply placing a "big car" motor in a mid-sized car, resulting in a mid-sized car that was faster (in a straight line) than anything that preceded it. The GTO was a Pontiac LeMans with a Bonneville V8 engine. Other examples from The Day were the Malibu SS396, Torino Cobra Jet, 4-4-2, Road Runner, and similar cars. There were a few full sized cars that could be called Muscle Cars, but the added mass compromised their performance numbers.

Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers/Cuda's, and Javelin's are/were "Sporty Cars," also called, "Pony Cars." Different concept. Muscle cars were never intended to handle, brake very well, or go around any road course. The only racing they were good for was going in a straight line or making a hundred left turns, i.e. NASCAR.

Today's Mustang aspires to be a sports car, and in a few models it even removes the back seat. It is no insult to the brand to say, "Bullshit." A sports car is a two seater. Period. The only exception is a Porsche 911. A Mustang is a pony car. It competes with Camaro and Challenger, NOT A CORVETTE! It is not a sports car, no matter how many horsepowers they can squeeze out of that Coyote engine.

It's all a matter of taste, but my favorite Muscle Car was the SS396.

Muscle cars were never intended to handle, brake very well, or go around any road course. The only racing they were good for was going in a straight line or making a hundred left turns, i.e. NASCAR.

I beg to diffuh, suh:

maxresdefault.jpg

My observations are consistent with categories used almost universally in the automotive press for the past 60 years. A Mustang is NOT a "muscle car." A Charger was.

Forum List

Back