1971 Ruger MK 1 w/Walnut Target Stocks

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up this morning for $250.00. It's in very nice shape with a good trigger at 2.75#. I already have a 1966 MK 1 but it's not as good condition-wise but has a excellent trigger at 1.5#.

The OEM walnut stocks were a nice find and easily bring half or better what I paid because they are for the old style (pre-A100) frame. OEM grips of any type are getting hard to find for the old style frames.

Thing is I can't remember if they came with them or if they are OEM aftermarket like the set I ordered from Ruger for a heavy barrel MK-1 back in the early 70s.

LOL.....I already did the disassembly dance/detail strip and got it back together with a minimal amount of cussing. ;)

mk 001 (2).JPG

I picked this one up this morning for $250.00. It's in very nice shape with a good trigger at 2.75#. I already have a 1966 MK 1 but it's not as good condition-wise but has a excellent trigger at 1.5#.

The OEM walnut stocks were a nice find and easily bring half or better what I paid because they are for the old style (pre-A100) frame. OEM grips of any type are getting hard to find for the old style frames.

Thing is I can't remember if they came with them or if they are OEM aftermarket like the set I ordered from Ruger for a heavy barrel MK-1 back in the early 70s.

LOL.....I already did the disassembly dance/detail strip and got it back together with a minimal amount of cussing. ;)

View attachment 645884
Nice. I've read that those are a pain to reassemble so with only a minimal amount of cussing means it went fairly easy......... :)

Nice. I've read that those are a pain to reassemble so with only a minimal amount of cussing means it went fairly easy......... :)
There is a time in the reassembly process where you need to listen for the sound of the hammer falling back and I had the TV on so I had to put everything down and go cut it off so I could hear it. That was it.

They made a lot of those Ruger MK1s.
It's a great target pistol.
It's a very popular gun.

I like that new Taurus TX22.

Taurus TX22 Specifications​

• Type: striker-fired, single-action semiauto
  • Caliber: .22 Long Rifle
  • Capacity: 16+1
  • Barrel Length: 4.1 in.
  • OAL/Height/Width: 7.1/5.44/1.25 in.
  • Weight: 17.3 oz
  • Construction: anodized 7075 aluminum slide, polymer frame
  • Safeties: drop, trigger lever, ambidextrous thumb
  • Sights: 3 dot; fully adjustable rear
  • Trigger: 4 lb. pull (measured)
  • Price: $349

It's a very popular gun.

I tried liking it because I'm a sucker for .22s but it just did not feel right to me.

That said it really is the deal of the day if it fits you....I've heard nothing but good things about them.

It's not just because it's a Taurus either. I got shed of the G-19 sized G-44 .22 because I just did not care for it.

That's a steal. First Mk1 I met was a buddies, in a box, dissassemled. "I can't get this back together". Took me 1.5 hrs but I became legend. Got used to them. I find hold it upside down, grip up and pull the trigger did it for me.
Then I did my 22/45 Mk3. Hmmmmm Mag needed to be in it.

View attachment 645884
Oooo..that's nice!

It's a very popular gun.

I'm looking at the Kel-Tec P17. Yes it had some teething issues but it looks like they worked them out, all the most current reviews rave about how reliable it is and how it will shoot anything you put through it. Even the Glock 44 can't do that, it doesn't like 36 grain ammo. If you can find one they're about $100 cheaper than the Taurus.

20464660.jpg

A lot of people think it's ugly but I think it's cool looking.

I'm looking at the Kel-Tec P17. Yes it had some teething issues but it looks like they worked them out, all the most current reviews rave about how reliable it is and how it will shoot anything you put through it. Even the Glock 44 can't do that, it doesn't like 36 grain ammo. If you can find one they're about $100 cheaper than the Taurus.

20464660.jpg

A lot of people think it's ugly but I think it's cool looking.
Keltec has very bad accuracy. :nono:

Yeah, a lot of their stuff is tacti-cool; But they suck and are to be avoided, IMO.

Won many a smallbore silhouette match with a 7 1/2. I carried the bull barrel...5 5/1/2
Some dirtbags in the late seventies (AMT ?) tried stainless and adjustable sight "target" model barrel assemblies. The machine work was KimDongTu Short. The target was the rubbish barrel.

Won many a smallbore silhouette match with a 7 1/2. I carried the bull barrel...5 5/1/2
Some dirtbags in the late seventies (AMT ?) tried stainless and adjustable sight "target" model barrel assemblies. The machine work was KimDongTu Short. The target was the rubbish barrel.
Half the extractor grooves chattered right into the chamber. Stainless is gummy for fine machining. Leave it alone if you don't know how(they didn't). NEVER use lubricant...dry and sharp...and slow.

Well, looks like you mind is already made up........ Kinda suspected as much.
Your suspicions were correct! :D

You ever pop off a shotgun shell with a .22?

You think that Keltec could do that within 3 shots?

iu

Forum List

Back