Multi-Talented Black Girl Wins the Scripps Spelling Bee

Good for her.

Meritocracy is the way to go.
Most whites dont believe that for an instance. There is a reason they made laws to hold Black people back and to this day try to impede their progress.
What laws are impeding your progress?

Seems I recall a certain fellow who progressed all the way to the Presidency recently, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't the best.

One can only hope that this bright, talented girl decides to study something real and not "ethnic studies" when she hits a college campus.

I can recall a "joke" from my yoot, where a "Negro" was asked in a spelling bee to spell "chrysanthemum," after the "white" kid correctly spelled, "rose." Fortunately, that doesn't happen any more.
She has 4 stated goals. They are all just as real as ethnic studies.

To be a head coach in the NBA.
To study genetics and win a Nobel prize.
To work in disease isolation and control.
Play for the Harvard basketball team
It amuses me that you think basketball is important. :laugh:

Good for her.

Meritocracy is the way to go.
Most whites dont believe that for an instance. There is a reason they made laws to hold Black people back and to this day try to impede their progress.
What laws are impeding your progress?

Seems I recall a certain fellow who progressed all the way to the Presidency recently, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't the best.
They dont have anymore laws that I am aware of impeding my progress.

One Black person becoming president doesnt mean systemic racism is not still in effect.

Last edited:
Just because one Black person succeeds doesn't mean there aren't any built-in obstacles for them.

Put it this way: Let's all go down to our local high school and run the 400 meters on the track—except, for Black people, it's a steeplechase, with hurdles and water pits. It's fair to say that the white people will win most of the races, because it's slanted toward them, but when Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt show up and routinely, casually, convincingly kick all of our asses with time to spare, that doesn't mean that the steeplechase bit is suddenly no big deal.

Some of you I'm sure will deny that there are any obstacles at all, which is a different point from what I'm making, which frankly can apply also to Latino people, gay people, fat people, ugly people, and so on—one success does not nullify the obstacles.

I wonder if she was inspired by this classic that should be in the collection of all Black families with children?

51sqltyKiqL.jpg

Good for her. Talented girl.

So there's no systemic racism involved in holding this one back then?
Of course there is. She just overcame it like so many of us do.
Name one policy or law that proves the US has systemic racism.
Why should I do that for you? You act like I care if you believe systemic racism exists.
You are the one claiming it exists the burden of proof lies with you. It's sad as shit that some people in the Black community have been led to believe they can not make it in life (without the intervention of the Democratic Party) because white people are holding them back with policies and laws that don't even exist.

So I had already heard that she won the spelling bee but then I found out she did it after only 2 years of practicing. Then I found out she wasn't just a book worm. She also holds some Guinness world records in juggling. The young lady has handles. This is the type of well balanced activities I stressed in my own girls. Be smart. Play a sport and be legendarily multi talented while you're at it.

Did they allow any transgendered contestants?

Yes, but you couldn't tell who they were.

Good for her. Talented girl.

So there's no systemic racism involved in holding this one back then?
Of course there is. She just overcame it like so many of us do.
Name one policy or law that proves the US has systemic racism.
Why should I do that for you? You act like I care if you believe systemic racism exists.
You are the one claiming it exists the burden of proof lies with you. It's sad as shit that some people in the Black community have been led to believe they can not make it in life (without the intervention of the Democratic Party) because white people are holding them back with policies and laws that don't even exist.
I have zero burdens in regard to proving anything to you. You can accept the reality or not. Makes me no nevermind. I am not here to debate that systemic racism exists. I am only here to talk about the effects and celebrate the people that overcome those obstacles placed in their way by whites like you with inferiority complexes.

One can only hope that this bright, talented girl decides to study something real and not "ethnic studies" when she hits a college campus.

I can recall a "joke" from my yoot, where a "Negro" was asked in a spelling bee to spell "chrysanthemum," after the "white" kid correctly spelled, "rose." Fortunately, that doesn't happen any more.
I'd prefer she study something she enjoys doing for a living.

So I had already heard that she won the spelling bee but then I found out she did it after only 2 years of practicing. Then I found out she wasn't just a book worm. She also holds some Guinness world records in juggling. The young lady has handles. This is the type of well balanced activities I stressed in my own girls. Be smart. Play a sport and be legendarily multi talented while you're at it.

congrats honey.

How could she do this in such a racist country always putting her down.

Mentally tough or completely shielded from the madness. She is only 13.

what 13 year old girl is "completely shielded"?

One that is completely shielded.

that is tragic

Not really. Some people chose to shield their kids from reality until they are old enough to be exposed to it. its like instead of throwing your child in the deep end of the pool you let them dip their toes first and gradually get in the shallows and learn to swim.

The fake news sure shields the idiots from the truth

I just saw her interview, she is cute as can be and her dribbling skills are incredible!
Yeah I played hoop overseas and I would need to practice to get down that 3 ball dribbling routine.
Asslips has made this ^ claim many times. Youll notice how incredibly vague the wording is every time. Thats the beginning, middle and end of that story.

He wants you to think he played for Ukraine, or maybe Italy, but he was never paid by anyone to play ball. He was just in the military and occasionally played (probably not well) on a court in Germany.

What kind of douche wants credit for an achiivement he never earned? So sad.

congrats honey.

How could she do this in such a racist country always putting her down.

Mentally tough or completely shielded from the madness. She is only 13.

what 13 year old girl is "completely shielded"?

One that is completely shielded.

that is tragic

Not really. Some people chose to shield their kids from reality until they are old enough to be exposed to it. its like instead of throwing your child in the deep end of the pool you let them dip their toes first and gradually get in the shallows and learn to swim.

The fake news sure shields the idiots from the truth

I agree. Drumpf supporters and other right wingers are indeed a gullible bunch of fools.

Did they allow any transgendered contestants?

Yes, but you couldn't tell who they were.

So, spelling is still a merit system not subject to progressive culture.

Yeah I played hoop overseas and I would need to practice to get down that 3 ball dribbling routine.
How about 4 balls blind folded?
Just because one Black person succeeds doesn't mean there aren't any built-in obstacles for them.
There WERE many obstacles for black kids decades ago. Now? The obstacles begin and end at the family level. This young lady had a village of supporters to bring out her abilities. But that most likely doesn't happen without very involved PARENTS.

Forum List

Back