Most Successful Groups....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, noooosssss.....feelin' left out!

Amy Chua, author of ‘Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,’ has just come out with a book about the groups most geared for success in America.

And my peeps aren't on the list!!!!

1. "....back with another controversial book, ‘The Triple Package.’ She and husband Jed Rubenfeld claim eight cultural groups are most likely to succeed.

2. They applaud Mormons’ ‘astonishing business success,’ and the high incomes of Chinese-American and Jewish people, but are likely to offend racial groups that didn’t make the cut.
[Grrrrrrr...]

3. ....outlining in a new book how eight racial groups are far more superior than the rest of the world.

4. ...certain groups of people are more prone to riches and smarts — basically, the good life.

5. ...but some groups in America do better than others,”....

6. “Mormons have recently risen to astonishing business success,” the authors write. “Cubans in Miami climbed from poverty to prosperity in a generation. Nigerians earn doctorates at stunningly high rates. Indian and Chinese Americans have much higher incomes than other Americans; Jews may have the highest of all.”

7. ...the “cultural groups” have three traits in common, the so-called “triple package”: a superiority complex, insecurity and impulse control.

8. Each group believes they’re “exceptional, chosen, superior in some way,” but at the same time, isn’t entirely confident — they still feel the need to prove themselves.

9. And as opposed to “immediate gratification” — save that for the weak — America’s most prosperous groups are intensely disciplined and determined,...

10. ...“groundbreaking research and startling statistics,” are bound to attract criticism for the new book, which also touches on why some groups, including African-Americans, might not have what it takes to reach the top.

Tiger Mom in new book: Certain races excel over all others in America* - NY Daily News

So.....I have to become 'insecure' to make it into that group...?????

Well, speaking for myself, I am proud of my Irish and French heritage. Maybe we make less bucks than some groups and have less doctorates than others, but we have contributed to society and our families.

Seems to me that success is not that easy to quantify. Nor is happiness.

Looking at it the other side of the coin, poverty and crime is universally shunned and generally lead to unhappiness, so it would be of interest to see how different cultures fare on that scale.

If anybody took a stab at that one, wrote such an analysis, I dare say the politically incorrect net would go into action quickly to contain and suppress the story.

Well, speaking for myself, I am proud of my Irish and French heritage. Maybe we make less bucks than some groups and have less doctorates than others, but we have contributed to society and our families.

Seems to me that success is not that easy to quantify. Nor is happiness.

Looking at it the other side of the coin, poverty and crime is universally shunned and generally lead to unhappiness, so it would be of interest to see how different cultures fare on that scale.

If anybody took a stab at that one, wrote such an analysis, I dare say the politically incorrect net would go into action quickly to contain and suppress the story.

"... I am proud of my Irish and French heritage."

I can see why, Denny.....Dr.Thomas Sowell has a phenomenal section of his book "Ethnic America," telling what it was like for the first Irish who came to this country...

1. "The Irish were the first ethnic minority in American cities, and their history shows the classic pattern of new comers to the urban economy, and society. Beginning in the 1820’s, and continued with the massive immigration of the 1840’s and 1850’s. Starting at the very bottom of the urban occupational ladder, with the men as laborers and the woman as maids. Housing was far worse than urban slums today."
Chapter 2.

2. "What ought to be surprising about the American Irish," writes Andrew Greeley, "is not that they have not been quite as socially and financially successful as the Jews, but that they have been successful at all." They did it by embracing what John Courtney Murray called "the American proposition," the principles of religious and economic liberty, of science and technological progress, and of democracy and the separation of church and state.”
Joseph McCarthy

I read that article yesterday as well. I think she just decided it was time to sell a few more books.

My great grandmother was an indentured servant in Boston when she first arrived as a young woman.

I was so enamored with the Jews I got the operation, now I can go to the Temple pool up to my waist.

I read that article yesterday as well. I think she just decided it was time to sell a few more books.

I liked her first one.....and if this one is documented with research and data, I'll be looking for this one as well.

Amy Chua is an american born ethnic Chinese-Filipino.

And everyone knows that asians on the whole excel in business and especially academics.

So she gets a pass.

But can you imagine the uproar if she was a white woman who authored the book?!?! ... :eek:

Racist and anti-semitic are the first two words she would be called.

And the media would go crazy and vilify her as Hitler's sister or worse. ... :doubt:

Last edited:

Amy Chua, author of ‘Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,’ has just come out with a book about the groups most geared for success in America.

1. "....back with another controversial book, ‘The Triple Package.’ She and husband Jed Rubenfeld claim eight cultural groups are most likely to succeed.

2. They applaud Mormons’ ‘astonishing business success,’ and the high incomes of Chinese-American and Jewish people, but are likely to offend racial groups that didn’t make the cut.
[Grrrrrrr...]

3. ....outlining in a new book how eight racial groups are far more superior than the rest of the world.

4. ...certain groups of people are more prone to riches and smarts — basically, the good life.

6. “Mormons have recently risen to astonishing business success,” the authors write. “Cubans in Miami climbed from poverty to prosperity in a generation. Nigerians earn doctorates at stunningly high rates. Indian and Chinese Americans have much higher incomes than other Americans; Jews may have the highest of all.”

7. ...the “cultural groups” have three traits in common, the so-called “triple package”: a superiority complex, insecurity and impulse control.

8. Each group believes they’re “exceptional, chosen, superior in some way,” but at the same time, isn’t entirely confident — they still feel the need to prove themselves.

9. And as opposed to “immediate gratification” — save that for the weak — America’s most prosperous groups are intensely disciplined and determined,...

10. ...“groundbreaking research and startling statistics,” are bound to attract criticism for the new book, which also touches on why some groups, including African-Americans, might not have what it takes to reach the top.

Tiger Mom in new book: Certain races excel over all others in America* - NY Daily News

I was not surprised by that article. (I read it yesterday). http://www.usmessageboard.com/8416868-post2.html

[Grrrrrrr...]

I could threaten you if it would help any. :cool:

Amy Chua is an american born ethnic Chinese-Filipino.

And everyone knows that asians on the whole excel in business and especially academics.

So she gets a pass.

But can you imagine the uproar if she was a white woman who authored the book?!?! ... :eek:

Racist and anti-semitic are the first two words she would be called.

And the media would go crazy and vilify her as Hitler's sister or worse. ... :doubt:

Yup...she'll probably be called racist....and any data won't matter.

But her husband is Jewish, and co-authored the book....and they named Jews as one of the eight groups.....
...so, she won't get called anti-Semitic.

Remember 'The Bell Curve'....wow, did they get pilloried.
Murray's next one was all about whites.....

But they must be anti-Korean!!!!!

Forum List

Back