Most famous person you have ever met?

Willie McCovey. He lived in an apt. building on Pacheco St. in San Francisco. I grew up a few blocks from his apt. and one day Dave Carlile and I walked up to his apt. and rang the door bell. We were both 12 years old and I remember is clearly even though it was 60 years ago. He opened the door, saw us and immediately turned around and put out a cigarette and pushed it behind a canister on the counter. Class act.

He invited us in and showed us his Rookie of the Year Trophy on the fireplace. Asked us if we played baseball, which we did and what positions we played. He very politely thanked us for coming by, but he had to get ready to leave for the ball park.

In the mid 1960's on a saturday morning, at the age of 12, I went with my father who was a Lt. Col in the US Army to the military airport on the base. He was with a group of top brass, including generals and politicians to see off Robert McNamara the Sec. of Defense under Pres. Kennedy.

I was standing next to my father in awe of all the tall military bigwigs in uniform surrounding me as they shook hands with Sec. McNamara. When suddenly he turn to me, shook my hand, asked me how I was doing, then headed to board his airplane.

Sec. of Defense was the architect of the Vietnam War under both presidents Johnson and Kennedy, and little did I know I had just shaken the hand of the man who in a few years would dramatically impact my life and destiny.

Who is the most famous or infamous person you have ever met? ... :cool:
Met Trump in Atlantic City in the late 1990's after a Boom Boom Mancini fight I was with a friend who promoted fights and he sat down with Trump at a table and spoke about fights He spoke to him for 5 minutes I said hello and goodbye
Funny how you didn't attack him then.
Funny you mention it IF I had only known

I went to high school with Bill Buckner.
His brother Jim was in my class...Bill was a couple of years older.
Warren Brusstar was also from Napa high.

There were also a couple of minor celebrities. Tom Bradley, Vic Seixas. Others may come to mind.

Last edited:
1585849945188.png

1585849966538.png

1585849982221.png

Mine!

Metal of Honor winner Desmond Doss.

He was also the inspiration for the movie "Hachsaw Ridge".

(I was called into a "Come to Jesus" meeting once, but you probably don't count that.)
Desmond. Pretty cool. A REAL badass ! I have a bunch of buddies who are 7 daysers

When I was eleven, I was on a ski vacation in Aspen with my parents and one day Buddy Hackett was standing right behind me in the lift line. Cracking jokes, naturally.
That reminds me, I forgot but I met John Denver briefly after putting an airborne telephone in his brand new Lear 35. I had to go over its operation with him. This was before cellphones of course. Must have been around 1975 or so. This was in Denver and he was on his way to his place in Aspen.
In that job I got to fly Malcolm Forbes's 727 The Capatilistic Tool on a test flight too but I didn't get to meet him.
In aviation you met and see a lot of high profile folks like F Lee Bailey. We were doing a trade show in Anaheim CA together. Him for his Enstrom helicopters and me for Cessna.
As it turns out privately owned airplanes are a great way to piss away money you don't really need so you run into a lot of people with money they don't need, aren't used to having and don't know what to do with.

Willie McCovey. He lived in an apt. building on Pacheco St. in San Francisco. I grew up a few blocks from his apt. and one day Dave Carlile and I walked up to his apt. and rang the door bell. We were both 12 years old and I remember is clearly even though it was 60 years ago. He opened the door, saw us and immediately turned around and put out a cigarette and pushed it behind a canister on the counter. Class act.

He invited us in and showed us his Rookie of the Year Trophy on the fireplace. Asked us if we played baseball, which we did and what positions we played. He very politely thanked us for coming by, but he had to get ready to leave for the ball park.

Willie always struck me as a real gentleman and role model. See that he just passed (October 2018) Great life!

MACOBY-1.jpg

I went to high school with Bill Buckner.
His brother Jim was in my class...Bill was a couple of years older.
Warren Brusstar was also from Napa high.

There were also a couple of minor celebrities. Tom Bradley, Vic Seixas. Others may come to mind.

Buckner ended up in Boise so we heard a lot about him. You still in Callie?

Muhammad Ali on a plane.... got him to autograph my Golf Digest magazine.... very cool dude.

And growing up in the LA area I lived next door to Pat Buttram - Mr. Haney on Green Acres. That's for old farts only.

Muhammad Ali on a plane.... got him to autograph my Golf Digest magazine.... very cool dude.

And growing up in the LA area I lived next door to Pat Buttram - Mr. Haney on Green Acres. That's for old farts only.
What did you buy from Mr. Haney?

Forum List

Back