Most Faked Foods

This was a terrific video.

. . . I love how it gives you tips about how to tell the real stuff from the fakes. . . . only after you have bought the product.

:auiqs.jpg:

This shows the 11 most faked foods around the world. They're sold here in the US also.........

This is my favorite post of the day!

I wonder how much of Sazon Goya saffron is fake.

This means I gotta buy honey from the old farmer man. Bah, I have honey from my back yard when I was 5 years old still.

Back when bees built their own hives and it was on a lateral branch at the back corner of the yard.

It was big, bigger than a basketball. Big jar of honey, good, too!

I ate the comb long ago. Still about 3" left in the bottom.

Last edited:
This is my favorite post of the day!

I wonder how much of Sazon Goya saffron is fake.

This means I gotta buy honey from the old farmer man. Bah, I have honey from my back yard when I was 5 years old still.

Back when bees built their own hives and it was on a lateral branch at the back corner of the yard.

It was big, bigger than a basketball. Big jar of honey, good, too!

I ate the comb long ago. Still about 3" left in the bottom.
is this the honey from the bees you killed recently?

I have a pet peeve about fake maple syrup.
I want to beat people up, when comparing the two, "but Aunt Jemima taste better".
FFS
Fake maple syrup is a chemical composition that is horrible for you. It is made with high fructose corn syrup and caramel coloring that is a known carcinogen. Not to mention, it adds 200 or more calories to your breakfast. All in high fat producing corn syrup.
Real maple syrup is packed with anti-oxidants. It actually helps prevent cancers. Not to say it is good for you, it isn't... it is almost pure sugar. BUT - real maple syrup's taste is much stronger than the fake stuff. So you use a lot less of it. If you drown your pancakes in real maple syrup, like you do the crap syrup - it will be way too sweet and overpowering. So you will use less than half.

Curious which caramel coloring is a known carcinogen?
Caramel color is often used to give the syrups their amber hue, and some types can contain 4-MeI—a potential carcinogen. This chemical has been shown to cause cancer in mice, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, says that it may cause cancer in people as well.

Caramel color is often used to give the syrups their amber hue, and some types can contain 4-MeI—a potential carcinogen. This chemical has been shown to cause cancer in mice, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, says that it may cause cancer in people as well.
Well that is different.

We've gone from you saying that fake maple syrup has coloring that is a known carcinogen to a link saying fake maple syrup might have this coloring that is a potential carcinogen. Diving furthr into 4-Mel which is encountered far more often in soft drinks than in syrup, from 4-Methylimidazole - Wikipedia

- For an average weighted person (68 kg) to receive a 360 mg/kg dose from consuming dark beer or cola drinks, they would have to consume approximately 244,800 12-oz drinks.

- The United States Food and Drug Administration has stated that it has "no reason to believe that there is any immediate or short term danger presented by 4-MeI at levels expected in food from the use of caramel coloring". The Agency describes the NTP carcinogenicity study as having been conducted at doses that "far exceed" current estimates of human exposure from the consumption of caramel coloring in foods and soft drinks.

- The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed the safety of caramel colorings in 2011 and revised the previously established Acceptable Daily Intakes for these products for reasons unrelated to 4-MeI exposure. The Administration's review concluded that there is no evidence to show that caramel colors have any adverse effect on human reproduction. The review further concluded that the highest level of 4-MeI that could result from the consumption of foods containing caramel colors are not of concern.

- Health Canada has stated that 4-MeI levels found in foods do not represent a risk.

I'm sure you can fine studies both affirming and dismissing the risk of this very commonly used food ingredient, but it doesn't seem quite so black and white as you stated it to be, especially when words like "potential" are being thrown about.

Well that is different.

We've gone from you saying that fake maple syrup has coloring that is a known carcinogen to a link saying fake maple syrup might have this coloring that is a potential carcinogen. Diving furthr into 4-Mel which is encountered far more often in soft drinks than in syrup, from 4-Methylimidazole - Wikipedia

- For an average weighted person (68 kg) to receive a 360 mg/kg dose from consuming dark beer or cola drinks, they would have to consume approximately 244,800 12-oz drinks.

- The United States Food and Drug Administration has stated that it has "no reason to believe that there is any immediate or short term danger presented by 4-MeI at levels expected in food from the use of caramel coloring". The Agency describes the NTP carcinogenicity study as having been conducted at doses that "far exceed" current estimates of human exposure from the consumption of caramel coloring in foods and soft drinks.

- The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed the safety of caramel colorings in 2011 and revised the previously established Acceptable Daily Intakes for these products for reasons unrelated to 4-MeI exposure. The Administration's review concluded that there is no evidence to show that caramel colors have any adverse effect on human reproduction. The review further concluded that the highest level of 4-MeI that could result from the consumption of foods containing caramel colors are not of concern.

- Health Canada has stated that 4-MeI levels found in foods do not represent a risk.

I'm sure you can fine studies both affirming and dismissing the risk of this very commonly used food ingredient, but it doesn't seem quite so black and white as you stated it to be, especially when words like "potential" are being thrown about.
Awesome... not worth anymore time... it isn't that important

Forum List

Back