MOS question for Army vets

Texas Minded

Rookie
Aug 25, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
My step-son is about a week away from choosing his US Army MOS and then another week away from swearing in active duty.

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the following 2 MOS's in the Army? :

91C
Utilities Equipment Repairer

and

12R
Interior Electrician

If he ends up being able to choose between the 2, which one will give him the most hands on experience in the respective fields?

I want him set up for victory in either the HVAC trade or Electrical if / when he gets out of the Army.

I have been leaning 91C as we live in Texas and he would always have work in the HVAC trade here. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The trades are in demand. Most of the subs we use would welcome a new dependable worker with open arms if they would just show up sober and on time everyday.

My step-son is about a week away from choosing his US Army MOS and then another week away from swearing in active duty.

91C

and

12R
Interior Electrician

If he ends up being able to choose between the 2, which one will give him the most hands on experience in the respective fields?

I want him set up for victory in either the HVAC trade or Electrical if / when he gets out of the Army.

I have been leaning 91C as we live in Texas and he would always have work in the HVAC trade here. ;)

Thanks!
Never heard of either one to be honest. They are always fancier sounding than they truly are but I would go with 91C. Facilities managers make a grip of money at least in the IT field and you get an extra bonus by being ex military.

91C

and

12R
Interior Electrician

Thanks!
They do HVAC MOS's in the army and electrician. I was in electronics and electrical as a 27E TOW anti armor missile systems tech and 52D power generation repair and maint. they also teach you welder repair.

91C

and

12R
Interior Electrician

Thanks!

Your son needs to have one MOS nailed down, in writing, prior to finalizing his enlistment. Otherwise, the Army will screw him over. How many steak dinners has his recruiter bought him? When I enlisted in the Delayed Entry Program back in the late 80's my recruiter tried to sell me a fantasy bill of goods about how I could always get a certain Army school later, that I didn't have to have it in my contract before signing on the dotted line. Good thing several of my family members had served in the Army before me. As for those two particular MOS's . . . well, they sound very safe and sane.

Your son needs to have one MOS nailed down, in writing, prior to finalizing his enlistment. Otherwise, the Army will screw him over. How many steak dinners has his recruiter bought him? When I enlisted in the Delayed Entry Program back in the late 80's my recruiter tried to sell me a fantasy bill of goods about how I could always get a certain Army school later, that I didn't have to have it in my contract before signing on the dotted line. Good thing several of my family members had served in the Army before me. As for those two particular MOS's . . . well, they sound very safe and sane.

I hear ya. He will choose next week and have it in writing.

No steak dinners but we have heard the "you can always change your MOS later", which I doubted when I heard it.

I just want him to learn something that is applicable to the outside world.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input.

Even if you get it in writing, unless things have changed since my day, they only guarantee to train you, not use you. It's always "needs of the service" in the end.

Even if you get it in writing, unless things have changed since my day, they only guarantee to train you, not use you. It's always "needs of the service" in the end.

Actually, most times things like that change is because somebody fails their MOS school.

One thing I realized real fast in PATRIOT training was that a big chunk of those who were attending it as their second school were formerly in EOD. They failed some part of the course, and because they already had the security clearance they were sent off to us to be trained as RADAR operators. And there was also a Motor-T school there at Fort Bliss. And that failed as PATRIOT operators would then get sent there to be trained as 88M truck drivers.

Actually, most times things like that change is because somebody fails their MOS school.

One thing I realized real fast in PATRIOT training was that a big chunk of those who were attending it as their second school were formerly in EOD. They failed some part of the course, and because they already had the security clearance they were sent off to us to be trained as RADAR operators. And there was also a Motor-T school there at Fort Bliss. And that failed as PATRIOT operators would then get sent there to be trained as 88M truck drivers.
Gun bunnies is what the bolo's got when they failed basic electronics for the TOW missile system repair course at Redstone Arsenal.

The 91 series is more specialized, which would likely be more beneficial if he doesn't intend to be a lifer. Sounds more rear echelon. I never saw that MOS in the artillery battery or aviation units I was assigned to.

The trades are in demand. Most of the subs we use would welcome a new dependable worker with open arms if they would just show up sober and on time everyday.
I don't like Army dudes going on strike with those democrat trades, while maintaining blacklists of prohibited persons under interstate commerce restrictions.

The Army does not do contracts without a designated MOS.

..my USMC recruiter did the same thing.....I took some test and he was like ''wow'' you did so good'''' .....yes, I didn't go to a shithole school, I took some college/etc .....but it was just him scamming ....I didn't didn't sign up for any MOS....I wanted the grunts

91C

and

12R
Interior Electrician

Thanks!
Join the Coast Guard

91C

and

12R
Interior Electrician

Thanks!
I served in the US Regular Army for three years. all in peace time I never found myself in an armed conflict, never experienced combat. My MOS was Combat Engineer. I enjoyed my three army years. I spend my last 14 months of my enlistment in Berlin, Germany. At one point we were doing Target Folders on the bridges and roads in the area and doing training runs on them. We were told we had to be ready just in case the surrounding Russian and East German Military Units decided to take on Western Europe. They told us we would be the first to get hit and we had to hold West Berlin for 72 hrs so US civilians could be evacuated. Overall it was a good experience. I wish your step-son luck if he joins

Well, what I thought was going to be weeks turned into months (hurry up and wait) but he finally swore in last week and ships out to Fort Jackson in late April for BT.

The MOS he chose and that is locked in for him is 25L - Cable Systems Installer-Maintainer. He heads to AIT at Fort Gordon for this immediately after BT.

Army video below:

Pretty excited for him as this job should set him up well if he gets out after his 4 is completed.

This old Coastie is officially an Army dad.

Now I just need things to settle down with the Russia / Ukraine issues.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back