More mass shootings than what makes the news

Yeah, just another excuse to take away guns from law abiding citizens.

Hint: It's the ones breaking the law we should be worried about.

That is all well and good, but you can't do anything about that until they actually kill someone, which is why you need BACKGROUND CHECKS!

Which show nothing at all until AFTER someone has been convicted or adjudicated mentally incompetent. Background checks do nothing about predicting crime for people that haven't yet been through the justice system.

That 4473 form is run through the FBI, not the Department of Pre-Crime.

This is obscene. Make all the excuses you want but really, there is nothing that anyone can say that makes this okay. All you who think you know what the framers of the Constitution were thinking - There is simply no way that this is what they had in mind.

2013_09_MassShootingsALT_4.png

Mass Shootings Since Newtown

Sept. 16, 2013 - Washington, D.C. - 13 dead (including gunman)

Defense contract employee and former Navy reservist Aaron Alexis, 34, allegedly opened fire shortly after 8 a.m. inside building 197 in the Washington Navy Yard, killing 12 people and wounding more than a dozen others. Alexis was slain in a gun battle with police.

Sept. 11, 2013 - Crab Orchard, Tenn. - 4 dead

Jacob Allen Bennett, 26, was arrested in the shooting deaths of a woman and three teenagers. Their bodies were found in a car about 50 miles west of Knoxville, Tenn.

August 14, 2013 - Oklahoma City, Okla. - 4 dead

Daniel Livingston Green, 40, was arrested on four counts of first-degree murder, after his mother, sister and her two children were discovered fatally shot inside their home.

August 11, 2013 - Omaha, Neb. - 4 dead

Nikko Jenkins, 26, was arrested for allegedly shooting four people in the head. Police say three of the four victims had no connection to Jenkins.

Aug. 7, 2013 - Dallas - 4 dead

Erbie Lee Bowser, 44, a former teacher and Dallas Mavericks hip-hop dancer, was charged with two counts of capital murder after police said he attacked the homes of his estranged wife and his girlfriend, killing both women and two of their children. Four additional people were wounded in the attacks.

July 26, 2013 - Hialeah, Fla. - 7 dead (including gunman)

Police say Pedro Vargas, 42, went on a shooting spree in his South Florida apartment complex, killing the building's two managers, a family of three, and a man returning from his son's boxing practice. Before the attack, Vargas called the police asking the dispatcher to run the license plate of a vehicle parked outside the building, after reporting he had been followed and threatened by people doing witchcraft.

Vargas was killed by a SWAT team after an eight-hour stand-off with police, during which he took two people hostage. The hostages were rescued when the SWAT team stormed the apartment.

July 26, 2013 - Clarksburg, W. Va. - 4 dead

Sidney Muller, 27, was arrested on four counts of first-degree murder for allegedly killing two individuals after a drug deal gone wrong. Muller allegedly then turned his weapon on two passersby, a father and his son who were delivering the local newspaper, killing them.

June 7, 2013 - Santa Monica, Calif. - 5 dead (including gunman)

Police say John Zawahri, 23, armed with a homemade assault rifle and high-capacity magazines, killed his brother and father at their home and then headed to Santa Monica College, where he carjacked a woman, ordering her to drive him around while he fired at other people. The woman escaped unharmed but two other people were gunned down.

Zawahri was confronted by police outside the school's library. They traded fire and police officers ultimately shot him dead.

May 11, 2013 - Waynesville, Ind. - 4 dead

Four bodies were discovered in a home after a vicious killing that authorities said was a drug-related crime. One victim's son returned home to find the bodies and reported them to 911. Police say Samuel Sallee, 55, is the prime suspect in the case.

May 10, 2013 - Fernley, Nev. - 5 dead

Jeremiah Bean, 25, was arrested days after allegedly killing an elderly couple in their home, then a newspaper delivery man and another couple nearby. Police say the first attack went undetected, giving Bean the opportunity to commit the three others. He was arraigned on 19 counts, including first-degree murder, arson and burglary.

April 24, 2013 - Manchester, Ill. - 5 dead

Rick Odell Smith, 43, allegedly stormed a home, killing five members of the same family. Smith had been in a dispute with at least one of the victims, potentially over the custody of a child, police said. The five victims included a grandmother, her granddaughter, the granddaughter's boyfriend and their two children.

April 21, 2013 - Federal Way, Wash. - 4 dead (including gunman)

A domestic-violence homicide claimed three additional lives before the gunman was killed by responding officers. Police say Dennis Clark III, 27, shot and killed his girlfriend in their shared apartment before killing two witnesses in the building's parking lot and a third victim in another apartment.

April 18, 2013 - Akron, Ohio - 4 dead

Derrick Brantley and Deshanon Haywood, both 21, were each charged for the murder of four adults, two men and two women, who had been found shot in the head in a townhouse basement. Police say two guns were used.

March 13, 2013 - Herkimer County, N.Y. - 4 dead

In a shooting rampage that spanned two upstate New York villages, Kurt Meyers, 64, allegedly took the lives of four people. Police say Meyers first opened fire in a barber shop in Mohawk, killing two customers, one a retired corrections officer. The gunman then fled to an auto care business in neighboring Herkimer and fatally shot an employee and a customer who was a 23-year veteran of the state Department of Corrections. According to authorities, the gunman had no money, no job and was maxed out on his credit cards.

Jan. 19, 2013 - Albuquerque, N.M. - 5 dead

Nehemiah Griego, 15, is accused of killing both his parents and three younger siblings. According to police documents, Griego shot his mother while she slept, then killed his brother and sisters after they woke up. Griego told authorities he ambushed his father, who was returning home from work, with a semi-automatic rifle that his parents owned. All victims appeared to have gunshot wounds to the head. New Mexico authorities also report that the teen had planned to go to Walmart and randomly shoot people.

Jan. 7, 2013 - Tulsa, Okla. - 4 dead

Brothers Cedric Poore, 39, and James Poore, 32, are accused of killing four women, two of whom were twins. The victims, found in an apartment, were all mothers, and a 3-year-old boy was also found unharmed.
There Have Been More Mass Shootings Since Newtown Than You've Heard About (INFOGRAPHIC)

Funny, I heard about all of these, maybe you should get a new news source.

In a giant country with 300,000,000 citizens, more people choke to death on peanuts every year, than those who die in mass shootings.

Bullets thumping into first and second graders at Christmas did nothing to illustrate the venal problem we have with guns in this country.

why should it?.....little kids have been getting shot in the inner cities long before that incidence and nothing has been done about that....why is a bunch of white kids getting shot any different then a bunch black and brown kids?......
Workers died in industrial accidents before the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. But that horrific event showed the country the true danger and exploitation of the system set up as it was. And the nation reacted.

The total indifference and the moral rationalization that the guns nuts tried after Newtown showed us two important things about the gun nuts and their warped, juvenile 'culture': 1) They are heartless and feckless and cruel and selfish. 2) they will rationalize any tragedy to justify their gun lust, even the multiple deaths of innocent children.

A pox upon those who are so glib in the face of death and tragedy.

sure as hell doesnt answer what i said does it?.....now why are their deaths supposed to make everyone suddenly become aware of gun violence when kids in the inner cities have been dying weekly for years due to gun violence?.....why dont you just come out and say it.....the darkies kids dont matter as much as the wealthier white kids do.....
That is the kind of perverted rationalization I regretfully expected from a gun nut feebly grasping for another reason to ignore the real problem of gun violence. Anything; race, economics, social conditions to deflect the reality of weapons of war on American streets. Gun lust knows no bounds.

Workers died in industrial accidents before the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. But that horrific event showed the country the true danger and exploitation of the system set up as it was. And the nation reacted.

The total indifference and the moral rationalization that the guns nuts tried after Newtown showed us two important things about the gun nuts and their warped, juvenile 'culture': 1) They are heartless and feckless and cruel and selfish. 2) they will rationalize any tragedy to justify their gun lust, even the multiple deaths of innocent children.

sure as hell doesnt answer what i said does it?.....now why are their deaths supposed to make everyone suddenly become aware of gun violence when kids in the inner cities have been dying weekly for years due to gun violence?.....why dont you just come out and say it.....the darkies kids dont matter as much as the wealthier white kids do.....
That is the kind of perverted rationalization I regretfully expected from a gun nut feebly grasping for another reason to ignore the real problem of gun violence. Anything; race, economics, social conditions to deflect the reality of weapons of war on American streets. Gun lust knows no bounds.
is that what it is?.....but yet i notice you havent an answer to what i said yet.....why is that?.....try again....they say third time is a charm....or maybe those kids are too Dark for you and people like you to care.....

The police have those weapons of war. Why do police officers need weapons of war? They aren't soldiers.

I'm adopting the gun nut outlook on mass shootings. In other words, I'm going to be supremely indifferent to the phenomena. The piles of corpses no longer shock and revolt. As with the gun nuts, I accept the cost of gun lust as the lives of the innocent.

I will deny that there is such thing as an "assault weapon" because doing so relieves the guilt over doing nothing about them. I will use the 'logic' of the gun nut and claim that since there are so many assault weapons on the street, there can be no solution to the violence they create. I know that makes no sense, but something must act as an analgesic to the pain of mass shootings.

Bullets thumping into first and second graders at Christmas did nothing to illustrate the venal problem we have with guns in this country. Following other massacres in Colorado, sober responsible legislators tried to enact tougher gun laws. A recall election was held and the gun nuts had a little clam bake to celebrate their victory over responsibility.

So with dead children, dead innocent victims in schools, theaters, temples, workplaces and city streets, the gun nuts flaunt their lust for weapons better suited to the battlefield and not in private hands by first citing their constitutional right to wreck havoc on the innocent population. And then denying that the weapons of choice for the delusional and sane alike really exist at all.

I'm following the gun nuts lead on this current tragedy. I'm shrugging my shoulders, forgetting my morality and sticking an NRA sticker on my car. After all, life is a series of trade offs. A desire to be Rambo and carrying deadly weapons certainly trumps the lives of children and innocent adults at the hands of madmen with those unnecessarily lethal weapons. God and the constitution tell me so.

Get off your pulpit, and shove your post up your ass.

I'm adopting the gun nut outlook on mass shootings. In other words, I'm going to be supremely indifferent to the phenomena. The piles of corpses no longer shock and revolt. As with the gun nuts, I accept the cost of gun lust as the lives of the innocent.

I will deny that there is such thing as an "assault weapon" because doing so relieves the guilt over doing nothing about them. I will use the 'logic' of the gun nut and claim that since there are so many assault weapons on the street, there can be no solution to the violence they create. I know that makes no sense, but something must act as an analgesic to the pain of mass shootings.

Bullets thumping into first and second graders at Christmas did nothing to illustrate the venal problem we have with guns in this country. Following other massacres in Colorado, sober responsible legislators tried to enact tougher gun laws. A recall election was held and the gun nuts had a little clam bake to celebrate their victory over responsibility.

So with dead children, dead innocent victims in schools, theaters, temples, workplaces and city streets, the gun nuts flaunt their lust for weapons better suited to the battlefield and not in private hands by first citing their constitutional right to wreck havoc on the innocent population. And then denying that the weapons of choice for the delusional and sane alike really exist at all.

I'm following the gun nuts lead on this current tragedy. I'm shrugging my shoulders, forgetting my morality and sticking an NRA sticker on my car. After all, life is a series of trade offs. A desire to be Rambo and carrying deadly weapons certainly trumps the lives of children and innocent adults at the hands of madmen with those unnecessarily lethal weapons. God and the constitution tell me so.

Bullets thumping into first and second graders at Christmas did nothing to illustrate the venal problem we have with guns in this country.

why should it?.....little kids have been getting shot in the inner cities long before that incidence and nothing has been done about that....why is a bunch of white kids getting shot any different then a bunch black and brown kids?......

A pox on you for thinking somehow banning non governmental ownership of firearms by law abiding citizens, in opposition of the consitution is the right thing to do.

Fuck off.

I am definitely on the fence with this issue. I see that both sides have valid concerns and some great points. The problem is that while people are arguing and taking sides little is actually being done to alleviate the problem. What laws can be made that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals or mentally disturbed? I don't have an answer to that one as a gun is really easy to obtain if you want one. I think the real question is why people are doing it? Why are people feeling pushed to the brink and believe this is the only way to address whatever is bothering them?

Maybe all of these were the result of Cosmic Intervention - a movement to reduce the humber of bipeds infesting the planet?

[Sarcasm Litbards, since you can't recognize it]:eusa_whistle:

Another all too typically inept response from someone incapable of thinking any deeper than an NRA bumper sticker. Why should you expect any respect after making such a stupid non-argument?

And why should we listen to ANY gun nut when all they offer is half asses rationalizations and utter indifference to gun violence?

is that what it is?.....but yet i notice you havent an answer to what i said yet.....why is that?.....try again....they say third time is a charm....or maybe those kids are too Dark for you and people like you to care.....
WEhy are you toddling down your primrose path of deflection and obfuscation? Do you find it easier to argue race rather than solution? Or are you incapable of offering a solution?

Another all too typically inept response from someone incapable of thinking any deeper than an NRA bumper sticker. Why should you expect any respect after making such a stupid non-argument?

And why should we listen to ANY gun nut when all they offer is half asses rationalizations and utter indifference to gun violence?

Your over the top hyperbole did not require a substantial response. I can think just fine, post something that isnt emotional bullshit and you will get a more detailed response to it.

Post something that actually derserves respect, not the catterwalling crap you just posted, and you may get some back.

And as always, go fuck yourself.

WEhy are you toddling down your primrose path of deflection and obfuscation? Do you find it easier to argue race rather than solution? Or are you incapable of offering a solution?

why dont you reply to what i said instead of doing your ballet around the question?.....but dont feel bad i have asked this same question to others with your limited mindset.....they danced too.....just say it Cosmo.....Black and Brown kids dont conjure up the grief to you white fuckers.....i understand....

why dont you reply to what i said instead of doing your ballet around the question?.....but dont feel bad i have asked this same question to others with your limited mindset.....they danced too.....just say it Cosmo.....Black and Brown kids dont conjure up the grief to you white fuckers.....i understand....
There was a score of six and seven year old corpses as a result of Newtown. They happened to be Caucasian. Had that tragedy happen in a school more heavily populated by Black or Hispanic kids, that would not have diminished the sorrow and rage.

You understand that the controversy is that of mass shootings and not one of race, don't you? Why dilute the argument by playing the race card? If the kids were Jewish and Italian, the crime would have been regarded with as much weight as the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. If a bomb had gone off, the crime would bear the same weight as the Birmingham Church bombing of 1963. But it happened in Newtown Connecticut and you chose to focus on race, not the deaths of children.

There was a score of six and seven year old corpses as a result of Newtown. They happened to be Caucasian. Had that tragedy happen in a school more heavily populated by Black or Hispanic kids, that would not have diminished the sorrow and rage.

You understand that the controversy is that of mass shootings and not one of race, don't you? Why dilute the argument by playing the race card? If the kids were Jewish and Italian, the crime would have been regarded with as much weight as the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. If a bomb had gone off, the crime would bear the same weight as the Birmingham Church bombing of 1963. But it happened in Newtown Connecticut and you chose to focus on race, not the deaths of children.

im focusing on race because these minority kids die every fucking week by shootings and have been for years but yet people with your narrow mindset only seem to cry about it when a group of non-poor White kids get killed......if you and people like yourself cared like you say they do.....they would be out there coming down on the Gang related shootings that happen somewhere around the Country weekly......i dont see that happening....do you?.....

im focusing on race because these minority kids die every fucking week by shootings and have been for years but yet people with your narrow mindset only seem to cry about it when a group of non-poor White kids get killed......if you and people like yourself cared like you say they do.....they would be out there coming down on the Gang related shootings that happen somewhere around the Country weekly......i dont see that happening....do you?.....
Sadly, it's a numbers game. 20 rings out louder than one.

As I said before, women and children and men were killed in industrial accidents before the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. But when the death toll rings up the shocking numbers all at once, attention is paid and causes congeal. It's not a race problem, it's a gun violence problem.

And just as the rural White fifth grader killed by his father's improperly secured shotgun does not make the national news, the urban Black fifth grader shot in cross fire does not attract national attention. The two kids are still dead at the barrel of a gun. But if 20 kids are shot at once, the problem is magnified, be they Black, Latino, White, Asian or Aborigine.

Oakland violent crimes No. 3 in country | CalWatchDog

Oakland, reeling from gun violence, aims for unprecedented solution - latimes.com

By Lee Romney
September 13, 2013, 6:44 p.m.
OAKLAND — As a City Council member here, Libby Schaaf is notified each time someone is shot. That, it turns out, occurs several times each day.

It is a relentless reminder of Oakland's sweeping public safety crisis: So far this year there have been 3,026 gun crimes in this city just shy of 400,000 residents, which tops the list of the state's most dangerous.

Extreme conditions, reasoned Schaaf — among the public officials who recently attended the wrenching funeral of an 8-year-old girl strafed with gunfire at a slumber party — require exceptional measures.

FOR THE RECORD:
Oakland gun law: An article in the Sept. 14 Section A about Oakland's push for a local gun registration and licensing program reported that the Oakland police union is backing the legislation. Barry Donelan, president of the Oakland Police Officers Assn., said his board has not taken a position on it. —
And so was born an unprecedented effort to seek an exemption from the California law that bars local governments from regulating the registration or licensing of firearms.

"Since the moment I came into office I've been on a quest to understand ... the tools that Oakland could use to reduce the bloodshed in any way," said Schaaf, who tapped academics in criminology and law for ideas.

~~~~
Background checks are for law abiding citizens..criminals do not participate in background checks.

As I said before, women and children and men were killed in industrial accidents before the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. But when the death toll rings up the shocking numbers all at once, attention is paid and causes congeal. It's not a race problem, it's a gun violence problem.

And just as the rural White fifth grader killed by his father's improperly secured shotgun does not make the national news, the urban Black fifth grader shot in cross fire does not attract national attention. The two kids are still dead at the barrel of a gun. But if 20 kids are shot at once, the problem is magnified, be they Black, Latino, White, Asian or Aborigine.

20 rings out louder than one.

one?.....add up how many inner city kids are killed or wounded because of gun violence in a month around the Country and i think you will find it comes out to more than one

20 rings out louder than one.

one?.....add up how many inner city kids are killed or wounded because of gun violence in a month around the Country and i think you will find it comes out to more than one
True. But an individual tragedy does not make the waves a massacre does. That does not diminish the depths of sadness and horror of the individual shooting. But, as I said, 20 rings louder than one.

Forum List

Back