More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here are more people being enlightened with basic economics.....

Seattle Minimum Wage Kills Jobs Hurts Students PJ Tatler

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”

Students at the University of Washington in Tacoma are getting an object lesson in the value of a dollar. As economic dominoes fall in the wake of a municipal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in Seattle, university students find themselves digging deeper into their pockets to cover higher prices resulting from the mandate.

Elsewhere, small-business employees initially thrilled by the “raise” granted them by the city have since learned that they’ll be losing their jobs later this year. Red Alert Politics reports:

[Z Pizza] owner Ritu Shah Burnham said she just can’t afford the city’s mandated wage hikes.

“I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself,” she told Q13. “I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.”

Not really anything in that article confirming any of the claims. Is this like the last one you posted where a business claimed they were closing but really didn't?

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.
Are you calling Ritu Shah Burnham a liar?

Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.

The mistake was in hiring people who relied on their minimum wage salary for family support. Minimum wage jobs belong to students living at home, the retired supplementing a pension and married people looking for extra cash in an undemanding job.

The higher the minimum wage the more attractive automation is. That's the direction minimum wage is going.

Just business 101. Labor is a big cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay your workers a living wage, then close the doors and do something else with your life. Well, business owners can always hire cheap illegal immigrant labor. They'll work for $20.00 a day, which is twice what they earned in their home country. Either pay workers a living wage, or hire illegal immigrant labor, a very simple choice. Or, just close the doors and retire with all the money cheap labor enabled you to make over the years.
Sure, and put ALL your employees out of work. What do they matter when we're trying to make a political point?

Sure, and put ALL your employees out of work. What do they matter when we're trying to make a political point?
Again, either pay them, or close the doors. What are the other choices? You can't force workers to stay if they don't want to. And, you can't change laws by poor-mouthing. Either pay them, or hire illegal immigrants, or close the doors, very simple.

Again, either pay them, or close the doors. What are the other choices? You can't force workers to stay if they don't want to. And, you can't change laws by poor-mouthing. Either pay them, or hire illegal immigrants, or close the doors, very simple.
That's what they do. Close the doors. Everyone is out of a job and it couldn't happen to a more deserving group of employees. The owner can hopefully start again doing something less labor intensive. Something automated.

That's what they do. Close the doors. Everyone is out of a job and it couldn't happen to a more deserving group of employees. The owner can hopefully start again doing something less labor intensive. Something automated.
That's the owner's right. And, the workers can go find other employment. So, what's the problem?

I don't get why so many business owners treat labor as a fixed cost. It is anything but. Prices go up for everything, including labor.

And shame on people paying minimum wage just because the government enables them to do so.

If you care to dispute claims in the OP, some basis other than your emotions would be in order.
Are you calling Ritu Shah Burnham a liar?

Well the increase has hardly even taken effect. It will be years before it reaches $15. There is no way that a few cents increase to minimum wage workers is causing noticeable inflation. And a few cents increase shouldn't make it so a business goes under. They were in trouble already obviously. The claims of the article are obviously false.

Where are you finding these illegals who'll work for twenty bucks a day?

I don't get why so many business owners treat labor as a fixed cost. It is anything but. Prices go up for everything, including labor.

And shame on people paying minimum wage just because the government enables them to do so.

Why pay people more than their labor is worth?

Forum List

Back