Monthly food costs.

No, I can afford to maintain my belly. I just bought T-bone steak for $5.95 a pound at Harp's Foods
I'll buy a steak if it's on sale, if it's lean. I usually get three meals from a 16 oz. boneless steak. 5 oz. of lean beef is over 30 gm of protein. From both a health and budget point of view any larger portion is wasted as your body can only utililize a few ounces of protein at a time, unless you're a body builder or weight lifter. I'm also quite satisfied with a smaller portion.

Last edited:
At a place called Ten Box sirloin steak is on sale for $3.98 a pound.
That's cheap alright. That is the cut that I see on sale here mostly as well. However, I prefer trimmed rib eye (sometimes called 'Delmonico' steak).

Uh.... yeah... obviously you are making this up or waaay off.
Unless you are eating Quaker Oats for breakfast, one pkg. of Ramen noodles for lunch, and plain pasta for dinner... you can't possibly be eating anything resembling healthy for $4.25/day average.
Bull. I fed my entire family in about 200 a month.

That's cheap alright. That is the cut that I see on sale here mostly as well. However, I prefer trimmed rib eye (sometimes called 'Delmonico' steak).
One thing that has disappeared is porterhouse and filet mignon because the restaurants buy them up, but I was able to get them during the shutdown in 2020.

One thing that has disappeared is porterhouse and filet mignon because the restaurants buy them up, but I was able to get them during the shutdown in 2020.
All those cuts are available here but they are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. :omg:

My wife and I are retired. We don't have an elaborate diet but we do eat what we want and will occasionally spurge on a meal. Sometimes we have BLTs for supper but other times we will have steak.

We shop in the higer tier grocery stores. For instance, we don't go to Aldis or Walmart.

We normally would spend about $600 a month for food not including eating out.

However, due to Biden's inflation it has increased a couple of hundred a month. Now it is more like $800-900 a month.

We could eat cheaper if we wanted.
Pretty much exactly what we do.
Sometimes we have "breakfast for dinner"... couple eggs and bacon.
Sometimes it is Arctic Char and risotto. I do like "cheap cuts" like Pork Butt, Beef Rump Roast etc. When prepared the right way... they taste better than just about any other cut. And they will feed you 4 times. That is the only reason we aren't spending more than $600. Including sundries we are now approaching $900/mo. By the end of summer I expect to be doling out $1000.

OMG... that was the only thing AMAZING about the shutdown.
The quality of the meat at the butcher was outstanding. Especially steak.

Pretty much exactly what we do.
Sometimes we have "breakfast for dinner"... couple eggs and bacon.
Sometimes it is Arctic Char and risotto. I do like "cheap cuts" like Pork Butt, Beef Rump Roast etc. When prepared the right way... they taste better than just about any other cut. And they will feed you 4 times. That is the only reason we aren't spending more than $600. Including sundries we are now approaching $900/mo. By the end of summer I expect to be doling out $1000.
I bought a 15 lb brisket today at Costco. It was $70. Before the Biden inflation it would have been around $40.

I usually do BBQ on the Big Green Egg at least once a month.

Holy cow that drives me crazy.... build an excel sheet to automatically total all that up.
If you don't know how.... I will volunteer to make it for you, and make adjustments if it isn't right what you want.
And I am serious
Thanks, but my system couldn't be simpler.

Hogs have been having a hard time lately. US inventory is down a good 4% or more. And nobody is sure how many China lost in their last battle with Swine Flu
China has dropped its embargo on our pork and is buying once again, which will raise the prices here.

Most of what people buy is comfort food, probably less than 30% of what they buy is real food.

Forum List

Back