Inflation has created a dark cloud over how everyday Americans view the economy

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
When Kyle Connolly looks back at 2023, she sees it as a year defined by changes and challenges.

The newly single parent reentered the workforce, only to be laid off from her job at a custom home-building company in November. At the same time, Connolly has seen prices climb for everything from her Aldiā€™s grocery basket to her condoā€™s utility costs.

In turn, sheā€™s cut back on everyday luxuries like eating out or going to the movies. Christmas will look pared down for her three kids compared to years prior.

ā€œIā€™ve trimmed everything that I possibly can,ā€ said the 41-year-old. ā€œIt sucks having to tell my kids no. It sucks when they ask for a little something extra when weā€™re checking out at the grocery store and having to tell them, ā€˜No, Iā€™m sorry, we canā€™t.ā€™ā€

Economic woes have seemed more apparent within her community in Floridaā€™s panhandle. Connolly has noticed fewer 2022 Chevy Suburbans on the road, replaced by older Toyota Camry models. The waters typically filled with boats have been eerily quiet as owners either sold them or tried to cut back on gas costs. Fellow parents have taken to Facebook groups to discuss ways to better conserve money or rake in extra income.

The struggles among Connolly and her neighbors highlight a key conundrum puzzling economists: Why does the average American feel so bad about an economy thatā€™s otherwise considered strong?

The beatings will continue until their view of the economy improves.....Sadly that's the lower middle class of today.

The real "poors" are the ones that don't care. They get everything for free with the EBT.....You don't.

Merry Christmas.

PS.....You know it's bad when now there's two "big clubs" the middle class ain't in.

ā€œIā€™ve trimmed everything that I possibly can,ā€ said the 41-year-old. ā€œIt sucks having to tell my kids no. It sucks when they ask for a little something extra when weā€™re checking out at the grocery store and having to tell them, ā€˜No, Iā€™m sorry, we canā€™t.ā€™ā€
Awww.....isn't life so unfair for her precious little angels.

We knew this inflation was coming for years. People want "their cake and eat it too".

Meh. This was coming for a long time. By product of living the good years, some bad policy decisions on both sides, and some catastrophic world events.
It will calm down. Probably will never go back to the good old days, but it'll get better.

When Kyle Connolly looks back at 2023, she sees it as a year defined by changes and challenges.

The newly single parent reentered the workforce, only to be laid off from her job at a custom home-building company in November. At the same time, Connolly has seen prices climb for everything from her Aldiā€™s grocery basket to her condoā€™s utility costs.

In turn, sheā€™s cut back on everyday luxuries like eating out or going to the movies. Christmas will look pared down for her three kids compared to years prior.

Economic woes have seemed more apparent within her community in Floridaā€™s panhandle. Connolly has noticed fewer 2022 Chevy Suburbans on the road, replaced by older Toyota Camry models. The waters typically filled with boats have been eerily quiet as owners either sold them or tried to cut back on gas costs. Fellow parents have taken to Facebook groups to discuss ways to better conserve money or rake in extra income.

The struggles among Connolly and her neighbors highlight a key conundrum puzzling economists: Why does the average American feel so bad about an economy thatā€™s otherwise considered strong?

The beatings will continue until their view of the economy improves.....Sadly that's the lower middle class of today.

The real "poors" are the ones that don't care. They get everything for free with the EBT.....You don't.

Merry Christmas.

PS.....You know it's bad when now there's two "big clubs" the middle class ain't in.
And yet shopping records were set.

Perhaps you can check the amount and credit card debt that has gone up with that record spending.

We will be paying for that in the near future as well.
If they didn't think they could they wouldn't spend it.

I've also been seeing a huge up-tick in the number of people wanting to sell their vehicles for what is left on their liens.....I guess that 1K a month PU payment isn't panning out like they planned. ;)

Merry Christmas.

She should have gotten a trade.

My opinion matters not.

*biden had student loan forgiveness as part of his campaign. Fact.

So, we don't have to guess whether democrats voted for it.
But you refuse to say whether you think republicans with student debt (if in fact there are any) would like it as well.

Forum List

Back