Money In Politics

So, you think bribery is good? Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

To say "ill stuff money in your pockets if you vote favorably for a law that is affecting my client"....thats not redress of grievance.

And that should definitely be illegal. But you want to ban all lobbying because some politicians accept bribes. That's a violation of the First.

It is illegal for a lobbyist to pay or to give gifts to a member of Congress in return for his or her vote. However, there are many ways in which lobbyists use gifts or campaign contributions to sway legislators' votes.

The Federal Election Campaign Act and the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 set limits on the direct contributions that lobbying organizations or individuals can give to federal political candidate campaigns. However, many lobbyists work around this by paying for congress member trips, expensive dinners and other gifts or perks.

This is what I am against. You say "...because a few legislators took bribes...." I have a hunch its most of them.

While it may not be legal to outright give money to a congressman, there are many other ways to give him money.

Let's put it this way, in most major companies across America, they go through yearly ethics training. This training says that nobody in the company can give anything beyond nominal value to any official of the government, for any reason. What lobbyists do blows all of that out of the water.

Sure, lobbying is protected by the redress clause, but, bribery is not.

My whole point of my response to the OP was, you want to get money out of politics? Lobbying is the first place to start.

Ok, so how about we take the money out of lobbying?

How?
Exactly my point. Because those who make the laws are the ones who benefit from the lobbyist, money will always be a part of politics, and money to sway votes as well.

But, if we actually could do something about it, I'd say, for starters, hold all lobbysists and congressmen to the same ethics standards that all of us have to follow.

american POLITICS is based on who contributes the most $. That's why the average working person has to take it hard on the chin while working until complete and utter exhaustion until the verge of collapse while the ceo gets to play golf on the average workers dime. The odds are stacked. Time for a poor person to be president.

I'd say, for starters, hold all lobbysists and congressmen to the same ethics standards that all of us have to follow.

I'm allowed to tell my Congressman that my taxes are too high and I can donate to his campaign.
Do you really think that's what lobbysist are there for? Lobbysists work on behalf of organizations,.or corporations. Their sole job is to influence legislators into voting favorably for laws that will benefit their clients. They do this with "gifts", and other bribes.

To answer your question, if you tell your congressman your taxes are too high, then throw $100,000 worth of gifts and perks at him and his campaign coffers, then I'd say you would be wrong as well.

You mistake what I'm saying. Your average citizen will make requests of our congress, and yes, we can donate to them, but the amounts are limited, and not nearly enough to be influential.

Now, if I could walk up to my congressman and make a request of him, and it have the same weight as a lobbyist who just paid for the congressmans kids to go to college, then I'd be fine with it, but, it doesnt.

So, you think bribery is good? Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

To say "ill stuff money in your pockets if you vote favorably for a law that is affecting my client"....thats not redress of grievance.

And that should definitely be illegal. But you want to ban all lobbying because some politicians accept bribes. That's a violation of the First.

It is illegal for a lobbyist to pay or to give gifts to a member of Congress in return for his or her vote. However, there are many ways in which lobbyists use gifts or campaign contributions to sway legislators' votes.

The Federal Election Campaign Act and the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 set limits on the direct contributions that lobbying organizations or individuals can give to federal political candidate campaigns. However, many lobbyists work around this by paying for congress member trips, expensive dinners and other gifts or perks.

This is what I am against. You say "...because a few legislators took bribes...." I have a hunch its most of them.

While it may not be legal to outright give money to a congressman, there are many other ways to give him money.

Let's put it this way, in most major companies across America, they go through yearly ethics training. This training says that nobody in the company can give anything beyond nominal value to any official of the government, for any reason. What lobbyists do blows all of that out of the water.

My whole point of my response to the OP was, you want to get money out of politics? Lobbying is the first place to start.

I disagree. If we want to get money out of politics, we need to revoke politicians ability to make people money. The real problem is that government has too much power to influence the economy. Take away that power, and they have nothing to "sell" to lobbyists.

I disagree. If we want to get money out of politics, we need to revoke politicians ability to make people money. The real problem is that government has too much power to influence the economy. Take away that power, and they have nothing to "sell" to lobbyists.
But that ship has sailed. It would be far easier to take money out of lobbying. Yes, the government has too much power, but guess who did that? You and I and hundreds of millions of people through the years have allowed our government to become as big and powerful as it has become.

18 enumerated powers...thats what it should have been, but, nope, not anymore.

Trying to take back power from the government? It would be easier to try and put out a bonfire with a thimble of water.

I'd say, for starters, hold all lobbysists and congressmen to the same ethics standards that all of us have to follow.

I'm allowed to tell my Congressman that my taxes are too high and I can donate to his campaign.
Do you really think that's what lobbysist are there for? Lobbysists work on behalf of organizations,.or corporations. Their sole job is to influence legislators into voting favorably for laws that will benefit their clients. They do this with "gifts", and other bribes.

To answer your question, if you tell your congressman your taxes are too high, then throw $100,000 worth of gifts and perks at him and his campaign coffers, then I'd say you would be wrong as well.

You mistake what I'm saying. Your average citizen will make requests of our congress, and yes, we can donate to them, but the amounts are limited, and not nearly enough to be influential.

Now, if I could walk up to my congressman and make a request of him, and it have the same weight as a lobbyist who just paid for the congressmans kids to go to college, then I'd be fine with it, but, it doesnt.

Do you really think that's what lobbysist are there for?

You wanted lobbyists held to the same standard as all of us.
We're all allowed to tell our congressmen our grievances.
We're all allowed to donate to our congressmen's campaign.

If you want less money in politics, you need less government in our lives.
This is one reason I’m so against all the corporate welfare special tax deals.
Especially when it comes out today what was found on Hunter's laptop, right?

1602720948133.png

But that ship has sailed. It would be far easier to take money out of lobbying. Yes, the government has too much power, but guess who did that? You and I and hundreds of millions of people through the years have allowed our government to become as big and powerful as it has become.

Trying to take back power from the government? It would be easier to try and put out a bonfire with a thimble of water.

Um. I guess I just don't see giving up rights as the answer.

Ok, I guess we will disagree on this one. I think there is a difference between a lobbyist organization who's job it is specifically to shove money at politicians for political favors, and your average citizen who donates a little money to a campaign.

Ok, I guess we will disagree on this one. I think there is a difference between a lobbyist organization who's job it is specifically to shove money at politicians for political favors, and your average citizen who donates a little money to a campaign.

I think there is a difference between a lobbyist organization who's job it is specifically to shove money at politicians for political favors, and your average citizen who donates a little money to a campaign.

Of course there is a difference.
But, currently, both are protected by the 1st Amendment.

Um. I guess I just don't see giving up rights as the answer.
I'm not suggesting anyone give up their rights. I'm suggesting that lawmakers decisions shouldn't be based on who has the ability to shove the most money in their pockets. Maybe, their decisions should be based on whats the right thing to do, for everyone.

I mean, let's say you are a part of a small organization trying to get a law passed allowing you to have underwater basket weaving classes on the local pond, but big money lobbyist comes along and tells your congressman "look, we want to fill that pond in and make a new roller rink on that spot, here's lifetime seats to the marlins home games, and oh, well donate $50,000 to your campaign, and, you'll never have to worry about buying gas for your car for the next 10 years."

I dont know, i was raised, if you use money as a way to sway someone in power to your way of thinking...thats bribery.

I think there is a difference between a lobbyist organization who's job it is specifically to shove money at politicians for political favors, and your average citizen who donates a little money to a campaign.

Of course there is a difference.
But, currently, both are protected by the 1st Amendment.
Yeah, they should probably revisit that one. I'm pretty sure this isn't what the founders had in mind when they wrote the redress clause.

There is no popular vote to win or lose.
Why are you so dumb?
Is this your idea of democracy?
events-2020-week-6-aug-28-to-oct-8-v2.png

"As shown on the map... (above), the 2020 major-party nominees for President and Vice President are campaigning in only a small number of states.

"Of the 76 general-election campaign events by the candidates during the first 6 weeks of the 2020 campaign, almost three-quarters (55 of 76) have been in just 6 closely divided battleground states -- Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan, and Minnesota."

Map of General-Election Campaign Events by 2020 Presidential Candidates

We need a poor person running for president. They would get my vote without hesitation over any wealthy individual.

There is no popular vote to win or lose.
Why are you so dumb?
Is this your idea of democracy?
events-2020-week-6-aug-28-to-oct-8-v2.png

"As shown on the map... (above), the 2020 major-party nominees for President and Vice President are campaigning in only a small number of states.

"Of the 76 general-election campaign events by the candidates during the first 6 weeks of the 2020 campaign, almost three-quarters (55 of 76) have been in just 6 closely divided battleground states -- Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan, and Minnesota."

Map of General-Election Campaign Events by 2020 Presidential Candidates
So instead you would rather California. NY. Chicago decide it? I mean they run those cities so well I am sure we all want the rest of america to look just like those places. I mean with how the Dems do the census in california we have millions of illegal aliens already giving them free seats in the house and pretty much giving them a HUGE head start in the electoral college. How dare Trump ask such a racist question as "are you an american citizen" on the AMERICAN census.
Fuck you Dems you already have the advantages on the map. You own 99 percent of the fake news media. You lie cheat and steal. And still barely holding on to your damn power and want to rig the system even worse.

Sure, because government is mostly run by corporatists. They want to privatize the things that should remain solely the responsibility of government (like prisons), and socialize things they have no business encroaching on - like health care.
Because lowering the cost of living and doing business is a bad thing? How can anyone as economically ignorant as you waste bandwidth on a daily basis?
9n671d4d77a11.jpg

22 studies agree: 'Medicare for All' saves money

Forum List

Back