Money In Politics

You keep insisting that if government doesn't control businesses, they will run amok. Do you make the same presumption with individuals? Should they be controlled by government as well? And if they are not, will they run amok?
I wouldn't want to live in a society without law enforcement, would you?
Nope. And I've never suggested such a thing. Are you reading someone else's posts, or did you just get confused again?

Last edited:
For my entire life liberals have been whining about the amount of money in politics.

At the same time, for my entire life liberals have been whining for bigger and bigger government.

Liberals cannot see that the more control government has over our lives, the more money will be spent trying to gain that control.

If you want less money in politics, then you clearly and plainly need less government.

Think about this, too: No amount of legislation and no amount of Supreme Court rulings have stopped money pouring into politics. Money always finds a way.

As government has grown, so has the amount of money spent on lobbying and campaign donations. Figure it out, people!
I agree, which is why lobbying should be illegal. There is no reason a person, or a company should be able to throw money at a politician to be able to buy their vote.

It needs to stop....but....the only people who can stop it are those who are getting money thrown at them...so it never stops.

I agree, which is why lobbying should be illegal.

1602710941918.png

View attachment 401597
You're suggesting I petition the government? Aaaand what? Like my letter of disapproval is going to mean a hill of beans compared to the big money guys throwing cash at the lawmakers?
No. He's pointing out the lobbying our representatives is a Constitutional right. Should we also be prohibited from arguing politics online?

t's not about shrinking government so that it's ineffectual. Government should have all the power it needs to perform it's legitimate functions, like providing public safety. But we don't need government dictating business practices and other wise controlling society with "regulation"
What happens when business practices impair public safety? We've seen many examples of for-profit corporate practices which put the public at risk, from asbestos to tobacco, in which those responsible for compromising public safety earned vast private profits while expecting society to socialize all the costs.

View attachment 401597
You're suggesting I petition the government? Aaaand what? Like my letter of disapproval is going to mean a hill of beans compared to the big money guys throwing cash at the lawmakers?

I'm suggesting that lobbying is petitioning.
So, you think bribery is good? Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

To say "ill stuff money in your pockets if you vote favorably for a law that is affecting my client"....thats not redress of grievance.

View attachment 401597

So, you think bribery is good? Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

To say "ill stuff money in your pockets if you vote favorably for a law that is affecting my client"....thats not redress of grievance.
So, you think bribery is good?

I think the 1st Amendment is good.

Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

"I think my taxes are too high".......lobbying, free speech, redress of grievances?

t's not about shrinking government so that it's ineffectual. Government should have all the power it needs to perform it's legitimate functions, like providing public safety. But we don't need government dictating business practices and other wise controlling society with "regulation"
What happens when business practices impair public safety? We've seen many examples of for-profit corporate practices which put the public at risk, from asbestos to tobacco, in which those responsible for compromising public safety earned vast private profits while expecting society to socialize all the costs.

When a business is causing harm, they should be sued, prosecuted and/or penalized. But if they're not, government has no right to tell them what to do.

And that should definitely be illegal. But you want to ban all lobbying because some politicians accept bribes. That's a violation of the First.

What the fuck are you talking about? Government doesn't need to be "strong" to restrict private prisons. Just cancel their contracts. Are you imagining sending in the military to close down a private prison? All we have to do is stop paying them.
I don't see much evidence of government curtailing private prisons. In fact, I see more indications government is willing to engage in behaviors designed to insure private penitentiaries are filled to capacity.

Capitalizing on Mass Incarceration: U.S. Growth in Private Prisons | The Sentencing Project

"From 2000 to 2016 the number of people housed in private prisons increased five times faster than the total prison population.

"Over a similar timeframe, the proportion of people detained in private immigration facilities increased by 442 percent."

What the fuck are you talking about? Government doesn't need to be "strong" to restrict private prisons. Just cancel their contracts. Are you imagining sending in the military to close down a private prison? All we have to do is stop paying them.
I don't see much evidence of government curtailing private prisons. In fact, I see more indications government is willing to engage in behaviors designed to insure private penitentiaries are filled to capacity.

Sure, because government is mostly run by corporatists. They want to privatize the things that should remain solely the responsibility of government (like prisons), and socialize things they have no business encroaching on - like health care.

Capitalizing on Mass Incarceration: U.S. Growth in Private Prisons | The Sentencing Project

"From 2000 to 2016 the number of people housed in private prisons increased five times faster than the total prison population.

"Over a similar timeframe, the proportion of people detained in private immigration facilities increased by 442 percent."
More irrelevant quotes, memes and links. I never read this shit. You could save a lot of copying and pasting.

What about the 19 million Independents and 4 million Dems who voted for Trump? Do ya think perhaps what most of the 63 million who voted for him just wanted an America-firster for a change?
How do you rate Trump's chances for winning the popular vote in 2020?

There is no popular vote to win or lose.
Why are you so dumb?

You keep insisting that if government doesn't control businesses, they will run amok. Do you make the same presumption with individuals? Should they be controlled by government as well? And if they are not, will they run amok?
I wouldn't want to live in a society without law enforcement, would you? After all, selfishness is why capitalism was invented.

You're an idiot

View attachment 401597

So, you think bribery is good?

I think the 1st Amendment is good.

Lobbying has nothing to do with redress of grievance.

"I think my taxes are too high".......lobbying, free speech, redress of grievances?
Ok, so how about we take the money out of lobbying? Sound good?

Forum List

Back