MLS Tied with MLB for Popularity Amongst 12-17 Year-Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since Pele came to play in the US during the 70s, I have heard that there would be a resurgence of Soccer in the US. After all, the rest of the world LOVES Soccer so it is only a matter of time before the US embraces the game

It hasn't happened. I don't think it ever will

Americans hate soccer. I don't see that changing

There has been a resurgence in soccer. There is a healthy and growing professional league, and the US is ranked in the top 20 in the world. NBC paid $100 million for the Premiership rights, and Disney paid a couple billion for the World Cup. Small peanuts compared to the big three leagues for sure, but evidence that it is certainly growing.

Soccer will never be as big as football, baseball or basketball. But hockey? Maybe one day.

I think Hockey fans are the most fanatical fans I know. They obsess over the game. They live for it. But they live in isolated markets in the US. Hockey will never demand a nationwide obsession like the other sports do.

Doesn't mean that Hockey cannot make money. Doen't mean they can't fill stadiums

Same goes for Soccer

Ever since Pele came to play in the US during the 70s, I have heard that there would be a resurgence of Soccer in the US. After all, the rest of the world LOVES Soccer so it is only a matter of time before the US embraces the game

It hasn't happened. I don't think it ever will

Americans hate soccer. I don't see that changing

There has been a resurgence in soccer. There is a healthy and growing professional league, and the US is ranked in the top 20 in the world. NBC paid $100 million for the Premiership rights, and Disney paid a couple billion for the World Cup. Small peanuts compared to the big three leagues for sure, but evidence that it is certainly growing.

Soccer will never be as big as football, baseball or basketball. But hockey? Maybe one day.

I think Hockey fans are the most fanatical fans I know. They obsess over the game. They live for it. But they live in isolated markets in the US. Hockey will never demand a nationwide obsession like the other sports do.

Doesn't mean that Hockey cannot make money. Doen't mean they can't fill stadiums

Same goes for Soccer

Yeah, I agree. Americans who love hockey REALLY love hockey. But because its not part of the culture nationally, it doesn't sell well nationally.

Same goes for Soccer

Yeah, I agree. Americans who love hockey REALLY love hockey. But because its not part of the culture nationally, it doesn't sell well nationally.

I dunno...the Stanley Cup does good ratings nationally.

How many football players could pull off a perfectly timed sliding challenge that dispossess an opponent of the ball without breaking their legs or earning a yellow or red card?.

Would that be with or without falling down theatrically and doing a dramatic death scene from Macbeth right there on the field (it's a damn field, not a "pitch" your majesty).

It's a pitch in soccer terminology. I use that term as a show of respect to the origins of the sport.

As for the scenario, I am referring to a clean tackle made by the defender on an attacker who gets right up and gets on with the game....y'know....a normal play. The diving and the theatrics does not happen in every soccer game. It happens with specific players on specific teams in specific leagues in specific countries.

How many hockey players could thread a delicate pass through a congested, chaotic and highly combative midfield area without turning over possession or getting taken out by an opposing defensive midfielder?.

Oh yeah, hockey players never have to do anything like that... :rolleyes:

If you're referring to field hockey, I tend to agree.....:eusa_whistle:

hockey is better than all of them!!!

m2KSrcV.jpg

I don't think you can say that with any credibility. There is a different sort of "in shape" for different sports and even different positions on different sports, so that kind of comparison is all but meaningless.

You have to run for the full 90 in soccer. No other major sport comes even close to that cardiovascular level of fitness.

And marathoners run for 2.5+ hours straight. And a professional soccer player could never keep up with an NFL receiver running a route, couldn't complete one round of boxing or one line change in hockey without being so gassed they need an oxygen tank, and in a competitive swim event would be lucky to get out of the water alive. And they don't need to do any of those things because those are different sports. Hence, my remarks.

And soccer fans don't take it on themselves to slam marathon runners. They grant them the respect they've earned. And I'd love to see an NFL corner try to shut down Messi or Ronaldo. They'd get taken to school.

just found out about this guy Toro- Bergkamp, after doing a search because of your thread, because I don't follow sports very much. You heard of him? Look at the feed at 1:45 to his teammate who slams it home at 1:50 :cool: , among other brilliant moves. [MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSULy5LkKs]Dennis Bergkamp ? Technique and Elegance - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
How many hockey players could thread a delicate pass through a congested, chaotic and highly combative midfield area without turning over possession or getting taken out by an opposing defensive midfielder?.

Oh yeah, hockey players never have to do anything like that... :rolleyes:

If you're referring to field hockey, I tend to agree.....:eusa_whistle:

You should take the time to watch a hockey game at least once. You might like it.

I don't think you can say that with any credibility. There is a different sort of "in shape" for different sports and even different positions on different sports, so that kind of comparison is all but meaningless.

You have to run for the full 90 in soccer. No other major sport comes even close to that cardiovascular level of fitness.

And marathoners run for 2.5+ hours straight. And a professional soccer player could never keep up with an NFL receiver running a route, couldn't complete one round of boxing or one line change in hockey without being so gassed they need an oxygen tank, and in a competitive swim event would be lucky to get out of the water alive. And they don't need to do any of those things because those are different sports. Hence, my remarks.

Boxing is a sport where yo need to be in top physical shape. Joey Archer once told me that the actual match is not bad, but getting in shape for it was hell.

That's pretty stunning IMHO.

For the first time in the 20-year history of the ESPN Sports Poll, Major League Soccer has caught up with Major League Baseball in one significant marker of popularity.

In the survey, both leagues can claim 18 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport, the poll said. ...

The NFL led the poll with 39 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds saying they are avid fans. The NBA, NCAA football and NCAA basketball were all over 23 percent.

MLS catches MLB in popularity with kids, says ESPN poll - ESPN FC

Baseball took a hit with steroid scandal. It will come back

Boxing is a sport where yo need to be in top physical shape. Joey Archer once told me that the actual match is not bad, but getting in shape for it was hell.

I hear you.

And soccer fans don't take it on themselves to slam marathon runners.

They do if they're sitting in the wrong part of the stadium when the riots break out.

That's a cultural phenomenon; not a soccer phenomenon. You won't find any of that stuff in MLS stands; of course, Tou will find more than a hundred fights at any Raiders game. So, I guess you should hate football by your logic.

That's pretty stunning IMHO.

For the first time in the 20-year history of the ESPN Sports Poll, Major League Soccer has caught up with Major League Baseball in one significant marker of popularity.

In the survey, both leagues can claim 18 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport, the poll said. ...

The NFL led the poll with 39 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds saying they are avid fans. The NBA, NCAA football and NCAA basketball were all over 23 percent.

MLS catches MLB in popularity with kids, says ESPN poll - ESPN FC

Baseball took a hit with steroid scandal. It will come back

It hasn't gone anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back