MLK at The Top of The Class

MLK entered Crozer in 1948. It was an integrated Theological Seminary. His grades the first year were mediocre. By his third year he was a straight A student. He was voted class President by a mostly white student body. He was valedictorian.

In 1951, the year of King’s graduation from Crozer, Dean Charles Battan praised him as ‘‘one of our most outstanding students’’ and someone who exhibited ‘‘fine preparation, an excellent mind, and a thorough grasp of the material’’ (Papers 1:390–391).

King graduated from Crozer with honors as class valedictorian, and was also the recipient of the Pearl Plafker award for scholarship

Course Grade

American Christianity A
Religious development of personality A
The minister's use of the radio A
Philosophy of religion A
Theological integration A
Advanced philosophy of religion A
Christian social philosophy ll A
Christianity and society A

The Crozer Years

interesting photo of MLK and Nixon

nixon-mlk-e1326717192441.jpg

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s meeting with Vice President Richard Nixon in 1957. They met on Capitol Hill for a discussion of ways to overcome Democrat opposition to the Republican civil rights agenda.

http://grandoldpartisan.typepad.com/blog/2012/01/martin-luther-king.html

In our first conversation I said that I had given the Founding Fathers a pass on Slave trading and ownership in lieu of their contributions to humanity. Plagiarism being a much less egregious affront to the ideals of Liberty I think history will find it even easier to view MLK's scholarly sins with, shall we say, a benign contempt. For myself I am not happy with it but I can live with the facts.

In our first conversation I said that I had given the Founding Fathers a pass on Slave trading and ownership in lieu of their contributions to humanity. Plagiarism being a much less egregious affront to the ideals of Liberty I think history will find it even easier to view MLK's scholarly sins with, shall we say, a benign contempt. For myself I am not happy with it but I can live with the facts.

You cannot blame someone for adhering to the objective laws of commerce and competition in the age of mercantilism. You can blame someone for cheating. Founders like Jefferson couldn't free all of his slaves. They belonged to the bank in an era of which debt could be passed from Father to Son. Jefferson never truly owned his own property, the bank did until it was bought by the state. If I'm not mistaken, Washington's wife owned most of his slaves. He married into wealth. Among the slave holding founders you will hear stories like this throughout. Furthermore, we should not forget that many owned no slaves at all, to include the Adams family, cousins and all. In any case, if I was a large scale farmer who had to compete against other large scale plantations who were beating me out through slave labor I would have little choice but to purchase slaves as to keep up with the competition if I wasn't going to get eaten by the bank. Slavery was an objective measure at the time and a normal part of the international mercantilist economy.

Last edited:
My believe that Martin Luther King was one of the greatest Americans of the 2oth or any other century is unshaken. I was a young middle class white boy while he was waging peace for the dignity of all people. I saw him martyred to that struggle. He will never be forgotten or diminished.

"Are you willing to risk your life on a daily basis for the right way of American life?

MLK measured up. Your writing indicts your character, Publius.

There is no question that MLK cheated, SmedlyButler.

There is no question that he is one of the greatest Americans of the 20th century who lived.

May you have time, Publius, like King, to measure up."

So you served in combat zones, while King was stalked.

MLK complained that the poor and underprivileged (rather than the college student) was more likely to fight in Vietnam, and he was right.

I doubt very much you were unprotected in a sniper's sights no more than twenty yards distant.

You still have time to weight your life correctly, my friend. You have been very blessed.

He claimed that blacks were disproportionally in combat. This is a falsehood.

Do you have the exact quote? For information purposes:

"The 1960s marked a major transformation for African-American citizens in the United States. The decade also marked the first major combat deployment of an integrated military to Vietnam.

The Vietnam War saw the highest proportion of African-Americans ever to serve in an American war. There was a marked turnaround from the attitude in previous wars that black men were not fit for combat - during the Vietnam War African-Americans faced a much greater chance of being on the front-line, and consequently a much higher casualty rate. In 1965 alone African-Americans represented almost 25 percent of those killed in action."
African-Americans In Combat | History Detectives | PBS

I will address this when I get hold of my references at home.

My believe that Martin Luther King was one of the greatest Americans of the 2oth or any other century is unshaken. I was a young middle class white boy while he was waging peace for the dignity of all people. I saw him martyred to that struggle. He will never be forgotten or diminished.

You know Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton? That is the status that MLK would have had if he lived. Read his latter works to affirm this. His assassination is what cemented him the the historical record more than any speech or act devised. Today, Both Birmingham and Selma are fully integrated and these cities are crime ridden ratholes with massive amounts of poverty.

See here [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1481045954/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1481045954&linkCode=as2&tag=s0231-20%22%3EThe%20Tragic%20City:%20Birmingham%201963-2013%3C/a%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=s0231-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1481045954[/ame]

and here [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Blacks-Steel-American-Paperback/dp/B00HR762HE/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390278196&sr=1-15]Guns, Blacks, and Steel: American Cities After the Civil Rights Era (Paperback) - Common: by Paul Kersey: 0884762517866: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

The hard truth is that blacks were not ready for the duties that Civil Rights entailed. Areas with large black populations experienced white flight because black violence was just as bad then as it is now. Once blacks started to vote for black public officials, more whites fled. The tax base eroded in these areas and some of our most prominent cities/municipalities turned into ghettos almost instantaneously.

Before civil rights should have come education and self sustainment. In fact, civil rights came before both. Thus blacks have entrenched themselves in an entitlement culture and they are just as bad off today as they were before. The difference is that they now hold political power and are running places like Detroit into the ground. The moment white people flee a municipality due to an increasing black population or blacks become the largest demographic, a place regresses. It is the sad truth and I spent many years denying it before I had to concede to the truth.

If MLK could only see black America as it stands today

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got some distasteful moral arithmetic going on there. Those twists and turns of logic must have been painful. Abolitionism was a well established movement at that time. America could have chosen to do the right thing. It didn't. Period.

You've got some distasteful moral arithmetic going on there. Those twists and turns of logic must have been painful. Abolitionism was a well established movement at that time. America could have chosen to do the right thing. It didn't. Period.

I like you and enjoy debating and discussing things with you because you don't poison the well. In that spirit please tell me what you object to so I can either learn the facts from you or at least sharpen my own argument. You don't think slavery was an objective practice? Whenever your competition commits a wrong it then becomes objective to follow up so as to not fall behind. This is the same with imperialism, and dare I say, our recent mortgage crisis.

It's shocking at first because it goes against everything we are taught. But once we stop denying the facts we have little choice but to conclude the truth.

By the way, I am assuming that your responding to an earlier post as the context above implies.

Last edited:

Abolitionism was never a giant movement. Read Eric Foners Free Soil, Free Labor, and Free Men. Also read Capitalism and Slavery. The Market killed slavery both world wide and in the United States. Religious or "moral" obligations did not.

Last edited:
That picture was taken about 10 years before Nixon and Goldwater cooked up the Southern Strategy to appeal to the Dixiecrats and racists in the old confederate states. It won them States but still is a big reason 90% of black Americans vote Democratic.

Your reading of history is very selective. For one example the Abolition movement had a lot to do with the British outlawing the slave trade in the early 19th century. And the American Abolitionist movement eventually led to the Emancipation Proclamation. See the Lincoln Douglas debates, it was a hot issue in 19th century America.

Slavery as an objective practice?
You seem to be referring to an Economic theory I'm not familiar with. Sounds like some sort of cultural relativism that I do find very objectionable. Slavery is an absolute evil that cannot be defended by any philosophy.

Your reading of history is very selective. For one example the Abolition movement had a lot to do with the British outlawing the slave trade in the early 19th century. And the American Abolitionist movement eventually led to the Emancipation Proclamation. See the Lincoln Douglas debates, it was a hot issue in 19th century America.

By even the most biased account, abolitionists never had a large movement or a large impact. The heart of anti slavery was the free labor movement, whereas poor whites and slave free farms could not compete against slave labor. Britain was in the same boat. They eradicated slavery across the world not as a moral issue but as a competitively economic one in the age of mercantilism. Of course, as the industrial revolution matured, slavery was down right dangerous. After all, who would have slaves working where they could destroy a business that operates on steam, electricity, and such? So much capital could be lost in a few minutes. Slavery also undermined Britons colonial holdings. As capitalism matured, farmers became more efficient and slavery less profitable.

The Lincoln Douglass debates confirmed Lincoln as a colonialist, which was a larger movement than the latter free labor movement. Lincoln won the election by combining these elements and naturally the abolitionists joined. Nevertheless, colonization was an idea where we would export freedmen back to Africa under the assumption that blacks were not compatible with white culture; a belief that most whites across the United States shared.

The squeaky clean history of doing "the right thing" for no other purpose than the fact that it was "morally right" rarely exists for any race, culture, or country.

Last edited:
The British slave trade was still hugely profitable when it was outlawed mainly on moral grounds in 1807. I'll give you more, with citations tomorrow if your still interested but I must do some chores now and turn in.

SB

You seem to be referring to an Economic theory I'm not familiar with. Sounds like some sort of cultural relativism that I do find very objectionable. Slavery is an absolute evil that cannot be defended by any philosophy.

I find cultural relativism way more objectionable than you. You're going to have to trust me on that one.

Slavery can be easily and objectively explained. Morality has nothing to do with objectivity. Just as the Scramble for Africa many years later, there was once a scramble for the Americas. Why did they scramble for new lands? Money! In a mercantilist economy the balance of trade dictates who is among the most wealthy. The most wealthy are best prepared to increase their populations and defend themselves in a very hostile Europe! Just look at all the wars between European powers so as to see my point. The companies that were contracting people to the states did not have enough labor so as to accomplish this goal and exporting more of their population (They had already sent nearly all of the volunteers and prisoners) became less economically sound. Slavery was the answer to this question.

The slaves would fill the labor gap, the colonies would produce more, the home country got richer, the balance of trade turned to the home country's favor, and the home country would be better able to defend herself against hostile European powers who were never but a breaths away from war with one another. Anyone who did not partake in colonization or slavery was doomed to fall behind in this practice and their ability to defend themselves decreased.

Slavery on it's face is immoral. However, if your economic and traditional enemies are successfully using slavery with aims on destroying you, it becomes a very objective practice for you to partake in as well. This mutual distrust between nations that has lead them so many times throughout history to pursue otherwise immoral acts is as objective as to whether or not you should take your next breath. No culture, group, race, or nation, is innocent of such acts, at any point in time, anywhere. A group that holds themselves to a different set of rules on matters outside their control on the basis of moral principle will meet defeat every time.

Never heard of this? This isn't theory, it's what happened. Welcome to the academic side of the history of slavery! This version is far beyond what you're going to get from most everyone else in this forum.

Reconstruction, Jim Crow, among other factors, are also mostly objective. They are but a part of a very long story. In order to understand it, emotion must be left at the door of objectivity. Also, you mustn't mind being called a racist for diverging from the elementary themes we have all been taught. Only then can we honestly assess history away from the fog of racial controversy.

Last edited:
Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Day History Quiz
Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Day History Quiz | American Renaissance

Due to discrimination and persistent anti-Black bias, many Americans don’t know enough about this great man. Try these quiz and you can see how little the schools, news media and establishment have told you about the only American with his own holiday.

1) Name the judge who has sealed King’s FBI surveillance file until the year 2027.

A) The Honorable John Lewis Smith, Jr.

2) According to whose 1989 biography did King spend his last night on earth in an adulterous liaison?

A) Reverend Ralph Abernathy. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down

3) According to whose 1989 biography did King spend his last morning on earth physically beating a woman?

A) Reverend Ralph Abernathy. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down

4) Who was the U.S. Attorney General who ordered the FBI to wiretap King?

A) Robert F. Kennedy. See David Garrow’s biography “Bearing the Cross.”

5) Who was the Assistant Director of the FBI who wrote a letter to Sen. John P. East (R-NC) describing King’s conduct of “orgiastic and adulterous escapades, some of which indicated that King could be bestial in his sexual abuse of women”?

A) Charles D. Brennan

6) Who called King a “hypocrite preacher.”

A) President Lyndon B. Johnson

7) What U.S. newspaper reported that King had plagiarized his doctoral thesis at Boston University.

A) The Wall Street Journal. In 1991 The Journal of American History admitted that “plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings.”

8) Whom did King plagiarize in more than 50 complete sentences in his doctoral thesis?

A) Dr. Jack Boozer

9) Who was the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities who purposely suppressed knowledge of King’s plagiarism of his doctoral thesis?

A) Lynne Cheney, wife of former Vice President Richard Cheney

10) What was Martin Luther King’s real name?

A) Michael King, Jr. In 1935 his father, Michael King, declared to his congregation that he wound henceforth be known as Martin Luther King and his son would be known as Martin Luther King, Jr.

11) In his first public sermon at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1947 who did King plagiarize?

A) Harry Emerson Fosdick

12) Name the man who served as King’s personal secretary from 1955 to 1960, had joined the Young Communists League at New York City College in 1936, went to prison for draft evasion in 1944, and in 1953 was sentenced to 60 days in jail in California “lewd vagrancy and homosexual perversion.”

A) Bayard Rustin

13) According to whom had King “privately described himself as a Marxist”?

A) His biographer, David J. Garrow

14) Who edited King’s book Stride Toward Freedom?

A) Communist Stanley Levison

15) Who made the following speech?

That’s exactly what we mean–
from every mountain side,
let freedom ring.
Not only from the Green Mountains
and White Mountains of Vermont
and New Hampshire;
not only from the Catskills
of New York;
but from the Ozarks
in Arkansas,
from Stone Mountain
in Georgia,
from the Blue Ridge Mountains
of Virginia
–let it ring not only for the minorities of the United States,
but for the disinherited of all the earth–may the Republican party, under God,
from every mountainside,
LET FREEDOM RING!

A) Archibald Carey, Jr., at the 1952 Republican National Convention. Carey and King knew each other.

Scoring:

No questions correct means you are exactly the kind of citizen your masters desire.

1-3 questions correct means you could be dangerous.

4-6 questions correct means you need electro-convulsive therapy.

7-10 questions correct means you are a hater.

11 or more questions correct means you are a terrorist. Turn yourself in now for re-education and your life may be spared.

The British abolished the slave trade in 1807 (as did the US). The British abolished slavery in the Empire in 1834. The US abolitionist movement--first and foremost the American Anti-Slavery Society--got underway in the early 1830s. If there was any causation, it's the British influencing the Americans, not the other way round.

By even the most biased account, abolitionists never had a large movement or a large impact. The heart of anti slavery was the free labor movement, whereas poor whites and slave free farms could not compete against slave labor. Britain was in the same boat. They eradicated slavery across the world not as a moral issue but as a competitively economic one in the age of mercantilism. Of course, as the industrial revolution matured, slavery was down right dangerous. After all, who would have slaves working where they could destroy a business that operates on steam, electricity, and such? So much capital could be lost in a few minutes. Slavery also undermined Britons colonial holdings. As capitalism matured, farmers became more efficient and slavery less profitable.

The Lincoln Douglass debates confirmed Lincoln as a colonialist, which was a larger movement than the latter free labor movement. Lincoln won the election by combining these elements and naturally the abolitionists joined. Nevertheless, colonization was an idea where we would export freedmen back to Africa under the assumption that blacks were not compatible with white culture; a belief that most whites across the United States shared.

The squeaky clean history of doing "the right thing" for no other purpose than the fact that it was "morally right" rarely exists for any race, culture, or country.

Not large, perhaps, but not without effect. The gag rule debates in the 1830s and 1840s were quite important. The Liberty Party was a direct precursor to the Free Soil Party, which was a precursor to the Republicans. It was only thirty years from the founding of Garrison's The Liberator (for which Garrison was almost lynched) until the election of a president of a party that was defined by it's commitment to opposing the expansion of slavery, and hence, ultimately to opposing slavery itself. There were certainly other factors than abolitionism in the rise of Republicanism, but the abolitionists were a significant part of the story (I'd say a necessary but not sufficient one).

An absolute evil. What is it that made it (makes it) absolute?

Not large, perhaps, but not without effect. The gag rule debates in the 1830s and 1840s were quite important. The Liberty Party was a direct precursor to the Free Soil Party, which was a precursor to the Republicans. It was only thirty years from the founding of Garrison's The Liberator (for which Garrison was almost lynched) until the election of a president of a party that was defined by it's commitment to opposing the expansion of slavery, and hence, ultimately to opposing slavery itself. There were certainly other factors than abolitionism in the rise of Republicanism, but the abolitionists were a significant part of the story (I'd say a necessary but not sufficient one).

Isn't "necessary" kanda the antonym of "not sufficient?"

Forum List

Back