MLB Considering Stupid Rule Changes

Ted Williams hit .344, and he was a 100% pure pull hitter, his entire career! (He hit exactly ONE home run to left field out of his 521.)

You seem determined to get my attention. I already mentioned a handful of hitters who could beat any shift....I saw Williams in his last season, and there sure as fuck wasn't a 2nd baseman parked in shallow RF. The "shift" is robbing the game of it's best feature...the line-drive base hit...that's the bottom line.

The strategy-excitement level is off the charts in the NL. Do i pull the pitcher (who has a 2 hit shutout B5, but 93 pitches) for two on, 1 out but 1B open. Will they walk him? Most likely but i cant send up a stiff? Whats the weather? Whats the status? In the AL most of that is missing.

Other situations an NL manager can force the other teams decision. Literally get what you want for a small "price". A 1-0 game with 1 hit is exciting also.

Listen, they don't pitch to the 8th hitter because they got the squid coming up 9th....pitchers won't run hard to 1st so if they do somehow strike the ball, it's a double play.....who want's to watch that shit? You can have my quota of pitchers duels unless somebody is striking out the side every other inning.....I'd watch Verlander and have pitch in 1-0 and 2-1 games because his stuff is so dominant it's a show in and of itself. But two 5th starters going at it with their infielders sprawled out snagging worm burners and the outfielders climbing walls to take down HR's.....nah, I'll go for dogs and suds.

Last edited:
It's not effective against everyone, only pull hitters. It would be useless against Dustin Pedroia. Ortiz wasn't a dead pull hitter, but rarely hit anything to the left side on the ground.

So your power hitters, the guys the fans pay to see, are reduced to "going the other way" or laying down a bunt (which most of them never learned to do)....oh boy.

It's not effective against everyone, only pull hitters. It would be useless against Dustin Pedroia. Ortiz wasn't a dead pull hitter, but rarely hit anything to the left side on the ground.

So your power hitters, the guys the fans pay to see, are reduced to "going the other way" or laying down a bunt (which most of them never learned to do)....oh boy.
Whooooooooooooossssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............................

Yep, that would work, and it would keep the defense "honest". It baffles me, and a lot of announcers I hear, that more pull hitters don't do just that. It works.

I'm recalling a classic game involving Richie Hebner. Hebner wasn't much of a power hitter but he did pull everything, Lefthanded batter. First time up, Sparky Anderson puts the shift on, Hebner looks at the infield, lays down a bunt up the 3B side, nobody there, base hit. Second time up, again the shift, again the bunt, again nobody there, again base hit. Third time up, you can feel it coming --- bunt, nobody there, base hit. Finally the fourth time up Sparky takes the shift off, and Hebner lines a single to right, directly through where the shift would have been, and he's 4-for-4.

'Hit it where they ain't' is such a simple concept. Why would you not take hits the defense is literally giving away?

Because many of them simply CAN'T bunt. They flat don't know how-many just never learned.

So LEARN. There was a time when they didn't know how to bat too. What did they do? They learned. I mean even if you square up and take the pitch, you'll put at the very least some doubt in the defense.

Hell, pitchers have to learn to bunt --- and that's an expectation from the same idiots carrying the "pitchers can't hit" torch. They're excused from hitting, yet they have to learn to bunt. What's wrong with that picture.

Folks are getting BORED at games and it's easy to understand....there's not enough hitting and runs. Only the purists love pitching duels....personally I like to watch a guy smoke one into the gap and leg out a stand-up triple....that's baseball. So what are the brains in the league offices talking about? Moving back the pitcher's mound or lowering it. So, how are you going to keep the field symmetrical if you move the mound back toward 2nd base? What will happen to hundreds of pitchers' windups on a lowered mound? They're also talking about a pitcher having to face a minimum 3 batters....no more LOOGY....a southpaw you keep in the pen to get out a particularly tough left handed batter late in the game. DH in the NL....wake up, it's 2019...of course both leagues should use the DH....who wants to see a pitcher swing and miss 3 times....or BUNT...oooh, exciting.

The problem with all this is it ignores what's really messing up the Show....it's the SHIFT....it's killing the singles hitters, pull-hitters, slow guys. So what's my plan? Go ahead and shift but the infielder has to keep his feet on the infield dirt...no more camping 20 feet out on the outfield grass. Simple and effective which is why MLB ain't even talking about it. :102:

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

yeah they need to outlaw that stupid freaking shift.

Folks are getting BORED at games and it's easy to understand....there's not enough hitting and runs. Only the purists love pitching duels....personally I like to watch a guy smoke one into the gap and leg out a stand-up triple....that's baseball. So what are the brains in the league offices talking about? Moving back the pitcher's mound or lowering it. So, how are you going to keep the field symmetrical if you move the mound back toward 2nd base? What will happen to hundreds of pitchers' windups on a lowered mound? They're also talking about a pitcher having to face a minimum 3 batters....no more LOOGY....a southpaw you keep in the pen to get out a particularly tough left handed batter late in the game. DH in the NL....wake up, it's 2019...of course both leagues should use the DH....who wants to see a pitcher swing and miss 3 times....or BUNT...oooh, exciting.

The problem with all this is it ignores what's really messing up the Show....it's the SHIFT....it's killing the singles hitters, pull-hitters, slow guys. So what's my plan? Go ahead and shift but the infielder has to keep his feet on the infield dirt...no more camping 20 feet out on the outfield grass. Simple and effective which is why MLB ain't even talking about it. :102:

That's mollycoddling, and it's a can o' worms too because then you have to define (and argue over) what constitutes a "shift". The solution to the shift is, as described above, to DO SOMETHING about it. Lay down those 3B bunts until it dawns on the defense that they can't do that without paying the price.

On the other side a lefty pull hitter who consistently gets thrown out from short right field and then just goes up again expecting different results, deserves the same result he always got. So rather than throwing laws at it, react. The onus is on the batter. If his average plummets because they're shifting him and he can't deal with it, how much is he worth anyway.

Stupid rule changes? I'm still pissed about "defensive indifference" and this bullshit where you don't have to actually throw the ball to issue an intentional walk, whatever that's called.

That intentional walk thing was to save time? Pitch count? It was fine the way it was, in case of mistake.

Defensive indifferrence? Is that no SB awarded when they don't try to hold you on or don't throw?

Because many of them simply CAN'T bunt. They flat don't know how-many just never learned.

They only work 6 mo per year. They got cages-video in the house. Anyone can learn if they want to eat. Get players who can do what MGT wants.

Stupid rule changes? I'm still pissed about "defensive indifference" and this bullshit where you don't have to actually throw the ball to issue an intentional walk, whatever that's called.

That intentional walk thing was to save time? Pitch count? It was fine the way it was, in case of mistake.

Defensive indifferrence? Is that no SB awarded when they don't try to hold you on or don't throw?

I agree....the pitcher should have to throw 4 balls to walk a batter....they sometimes airmail one over the catcher's head or balk if a baserunner takes off. Plus he's been throwing 93, lobs 4 in the low 80's and has to get his move back....I've seen many wild pitches after an intentional walk. Stupid change....like being on the "disabled list" is an insult to disabled people, most of who are faking an injury to get a government check instead of working. So now they're on the "injured" list....big difference....PC is like black mold...the more there is the more there will be.

The strategy-excitement level is off the charts in the NL. Do i pull the pitcher (who has a 2 hit shutout B5, but 93 pitches) for two on, 1 out but 1B open. Will they walk him? Most likely but i cant send up a stiff? Whats the weather? Whats the status? In the AL most of that is missing.

Other situations an NL manager can force the other teams decision. Literally get what you want for a small "price". A 1-0 game with 1 hit is exciting also.

Listen, they don't pitch to the 8th hitter because they got the squid coming up 9th....pitchers won't run hard to 1st so if they do somehow strike the ball, it's a double play.....who want's to watch that shit? You can have my quota of pitchers duels unless somebody is striking out the side every other inning.....I'd watch Verlander and have pitch in 1-0 and 2-1 games because his stuff is so dominant it's a show in and of itself. But two 5th starters going at it with their infielders sprawled out snagging worm burners and the outfielders climbing walls to take down HR's.....nah, I'll go for dogs and suds.

Early in the game maybe #8 comes up 2 out, none on, P on deck. No guarantee. Later in game with high pitch counts and score, things start to happen. The drama builds. Who blinks first. Over 162 games a lot of NL decisions are made in those situations. Good MGT seems to win more often by choosing well. The AL game has less strategy.

Last edited:

That's mollycoddling, and it's a can o' worms too because then you have to define (and argue over) what constitutes a "shift". The solution to the shift is, as described above, to DO SOMETHING about it. Lay down those 3B bunts until it dawns on the defense that they can't do that without paying the price.

On the other side a lefty pull hitter who consistently gets thrown out from short right field and then just goes up again expecting different results, deserves the same result he always got. So rather than throwing laws at it, react. The onus is on the batter. If his average plummets because they're shifting him and he can't deal with it, how much is he worth anyway.
Again, if you can’t beat the shift, you can be replaced by someone who can
Learn to bunt, choke up on the bat, use a lighter bat.... If your career depends on it

i liked it when MIL tried to use 10-13 pitchers. Changing the starter after one Walk. Do what you think may work. Be creative. Gamble it don't go 15 innings......maybe end up with DeScalsco as closer lol!

The shift can be exciting if someone bunts to beat it or if a runner goes from first to third because nobody is covering that side of the field

Learn to bunt, choke up on the bat, use a lighter bat.... If your career depends on it

Right, so some fool owner gives Manny Machado $250M for 10 seasons and he won't bunt or "go the other way" (sounds fag right off the bat (pun)....Guaranteed contract, can't fire him, release him and you have to pay him anyway. Now what? Keep the shift, but keep the infielders on the infield dirt...it's common sense so you'll probably disagree.

Right, so some fool owner gives Manny Machado $250M for 10 seasons and he won't bunt or "go the other way" (sounds fag right off the bat (pun)....Guaranteed contract, can't fire him, release him and you have to pay him anyway. Now what? Keep the shift, but keep the infielders on the infield dirt...it's common sense so you'll probably disagree.
If you pay $25 million a year for a batter who can be beaten by a shift.....it is your problem

What if a $25 million pitcher can’t field a bunt?

Forum List

Back