MLB Considering Stupid Rule Changes

WillPower

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2018
Folks are getting BORED at games and it's easy to understand....there's not enough hitting and runs. Only the purists love pitching duels....personally I like to watch a guy smoke one into the gap and leg out a stand-up triple....that's baseball. So what are the brains in the league offices talking about? Moving back the pitcher's mound or lowering it. So, how are you going to keep the field symmetrical if you move the mound back toward 2nd base? What will happen to hundreds of pitchers' windups on a lowered mound? They're also talking about a pitcher having to face a minimum 3 batters....no more LOOGY....a southpaw you keep in the pen to get out a particularly tough left handed batter late in the game. DH in the NL....wake up, it's 2019...of course both leagues should use the DH....who wants to see a pitcher swing and miss 3 times....or BUNT...oooh, exciting.

The problem with all this is it ignores what's really messing up the Show....it's the SHIFT....it's killing the singles hitters, pull-hitters, slow guys. So what's my plan? Go ahead and shift but the infielder has to keep his feet on the infield dirt...no more camping 20 feet out on the outfield grass. Simple and effective which is why MLB ain't even talking about it. :102:

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Last edited:
Hmmm. Lowering the mound is an option, but they will NEVER move it back toward second base. And BTW, the diamond is not perfectly symmetrical now. If it were, the mound would be 63.6' from home plate - exactly halfway to second base.

There is little wrong with the game now, other than various forms of showboating. Make the batter stand in the box until he's out or gets on base. Stepping out after every pitch is bullshit. Adjusting your glove after every pitch is bullshit. Stand up there and hit. Maybe an intentional walk should be just a call by the pitcher with no actual pitches thrown.

Hmmm. Lowering the mound is an option, but they will NEVER move it back toward second base. And BTW, the diamond is not perfectly symmetrical now. If it were, the mound would be 63.6' from home plate - exactly halfway to second base.

There is little wrong with the game now, other than various forms of showboating. Make the batter stand in the box until he's out or gets on base. Stepping out after every pitch is bullshit. Adjusting your glove after every pitch is bullshit. Stand up there and hit. Maybe an intentional walk should be just a call by the pitcher with no actual pitches thrown.

They already changed the intentional walk to no pitches thrown.

From wikipedia:

Beginning with the 2017 season, Major League Baseball has removed the requirement to throw four intentional balls. In MLB and in amateur baseball, such as high school and college games, and in most levels of Little League Baseball, the manager of the team on the field now simply asks the plate umpire to let the batter go to first base.[1]

To me the dumbest ideas are to add the DH to the NL, and the whole "pitch to 3 batters" idea.

your other ideas have merit, make the batter stay in the box. I would also add a pitch counter, not 20 seconds, but 25 seconds works.

Get rid of all DH. Baseball is not meant for some 350lb 42 yr old goon to go up 4 times over hours and try to hit an HR for $25mil. Make the pitchers hit or take your out quickly and sit down. Do you think a Belechik team would have pitchers that can't hit or bunt? Maybe i'm wrong? as they say pitchers so valuable they dont want injury risk? I would have 3 pitchers on the field in some cases and switch every batter. No warm up.

Why do relievers need so many warm up pitches? They just warmed up? 2 pitches to get feel of mound. No mound visits at all? Get on/off field between innings or start calling balls or strike depending on who is slow. TV causes delay as they want commercials!

The game is not too long, it is too slow. Battters in/out of box as above posts note. Pitch clock may help. But can you throw 15 times to 1B? Can you step off rubber if you dont feel right? Maybe expand the strike zone, make those hitters swing?

Shift? I would say you can play anywhere you want. Hit it where they ain't. I like it when they have 5 RF and some chowder head lines out to the glove at the foul pole in RF but LF is empty?

3batter min per pitcher? Vote no. You got 13 pitchers. Use them all if you like. If we go extra innings and you run out? We win? No sympathy.

Why does replay take 5 min? Many are obvious. Some are outside intent of getting ruling right? I dont know? Barely scraping uniform on a tag at Home plate with string of glove? Come on. Thats not a tag?

Technology could maybe fix the strike zone. But, different size batters in different crouches or up-back in batters box make it more tricky? Unless one size fits all? Play ball!

Last edited:
As Commissioner of Baseball, here's what I would like to see:

1. Extend the DH to the National League

2. Eliminate the Central Division. Divide those teams between the East and West. During the regular season, play only those teams in your division. The playoffs should be between the leaders in the two divisions.

3. Eliminate inter league play.

Baseball has been urging pitchers to voluntarily pick up the pace

It hasn’t worked. A 20 sec clock along with preventing batters from stepping out of the box will speed things up

I am not sure of the three batter minimum. If the offense can pinch hit at will, you should be able to counter with a pitching change
Maybe three batters before the ninth inning

I don’t want a DH in the NL

I hate the shift but the batter should be expected to compensate or be replaced by someone who can

Last edited:

2. Eliminate the Central Division. Divide those teams between the East and West. During the regular season, play only those teams in your division. The playoffs should be between the leaders in the two divisions.

DH removes far too much baseball managerial strategy in how to use the pitching staff and bench. The NL game is far more exciting if you know the roster and the game. pulojs cant run for last two years but stll plays? This DH also slows the game.

Agree with rest but regional divisions can create rivalry, reduce travel.

• Banned
I'm for the DH in both leagues so during inter-league play, which I really like, you've got your regular lineup in the game. Pitchers rarely run out ground balls or bunts to save energy so why would anybody want to watch them bat? They can't hit a breaking ball or anything over 92mph so why bother? As to pitchers having a batter minimum, it's stupid. If I've got a lefty who only faces left handed batters, now I have to let him pitch to right-handers? Uh, no. The time between pitching changes can be used to scour the stands for beaver-shots, go take a leak, or buy a bag of peanuts.

Like I said above, what's screwing up the game is the bookworm analytics loading the defense to one side of the field or the other. If hitters could simply "hit em where they ain't", it wouldn't be an issue but few can or ever have through the history of the game. So put three guys on the right side of the infield or four...who cares...but a clean single over their heads should still be a base hit and not a ground ball to an additional outfielder....there's already talk of stopping it and that's who I'm siding with. The infielder has to play infield and that means his cleats are on the dirt when the pitch is thrown....if he wants to race out into the outfield as the pitch arrives at the plate, fine....let's see how many times he can do that in a game before he collapses from exhaustion.

I'm for the DH in both leagues so during inter-league play, which I really like, you've got your regular lineup in the game. Pitchers rarely run out ground balls or bunts to save energy so why would anybody want to watch them bat? They can't hit a breaking ball or anything over 92mph so why bother? As to pitchers having a batter minimum, it's stupid. If I've got a lefty who only faces left handed batters, now I have to let him pitch to right-handers? Uh, no. The time between pitching changes can be used to scour the stands for beaver-shots, go take a leak, or buy a bag of peanuts.

Like I said above, what's screwing up the game is the bookworm analytics loading the defense to one side of the field or the other. If hitters could simply "hit em where they ain't", it wouldn't be an issue but few can or ever have through the history of the game. So put three guys on the right side of the infield or four...who cares...but a clean single over their heads should still be a base hit and not a ground ball to an additional outfielder....there's already talk of stopping it and that's who I'm siding with. The infielder has to play infield and that means his cleats are on the dirt when the pitch is thrown....if he wants to race out into the outfield as the pitch arrives at the plate, fine....let's see how many times he can do that in a game before he collapses from exhaustion.
It has been 50 years since the famous Ted Williams shift. If it was that effective a tactic, it would be used against all batters and over the past 50 years

The purpose of defense is to exploit the weaknesses of the hitter. If he can’t hit the curve, he sees curve balls. If he can’t hit the inside pitch, that is where they pitch him

Likewise, if you can’t go opposite field, they shift the fielders

It has been 50 years since the famous Ted Williams shift. If it was that effective a tactic, it would be used against all batters and over the past 50 years

The purpose of defense is to exploit the weaknesses of the hitter. If he can’t hit the curve, he sees curve balls. If he can’t hit the inside pitch, that is where they pitch him

Williams (who I saw play in his last season), Pete Rose, Carew, Tony Gwinn....some of the few who could literally stroke a ball into a vacant spot....so enough of that....the vast majority of hitters try to hit the ball up the middle....pull-hitters are slump prone. Now it's "launch-angle" producing more HRs, pop-ups, and Ks.....ridiculous what the nerds are doing to our precious passtime. My plan leaves the shift in place, and allows putting OFers where ever they please....just keep the infielders on the infield dirt.....more hits, more base-running, more runs...that's what puts asses in the seats....not pitching unless it's a Clemens, Verlander, Ryan....somebody so dominant you'll put up with few if any runs.

Williams (who I saw play in his last season), Pete Rose, Carew, Tony Gwinn....some of the few who could literally stroke a ball into a vacant spot....so enough of that....the vast majority of hitters try to hit the ball up the middle....pull-hitters are slump prone. Now it's "launch-angle" producing more HRs, pop-ups, and Ks.....ridiculous what the nerds are doing to our precious passtime. My plan leaves the shift in place, and allows putting OFers where ever they please....just keep the infielders on the infield dirt.....more hits, more base-running, more runs...that's what puts asses in the seats....not pitching unless it's a Clemens, Verlander, Ryan....somebody so dominant you'll put up with few if any runs.
The game has sold out to statisticians.

The result is almost unwatchable. They cherish the walk and the pitch count. Take as many pitches as you can, drive up the pitch count.

I grew up loving baseball. Pitched in High Schools, coached Little League for ten years. At one time I could name the starting lineup for all the National League teams.

I once saw Jim Maloney pitch a no hitter.

I can get free tickets to the Tampa Bay Rays games anytime I want. Even with free tickets I still spend a lot of money going to game where parking is $20 and a hot dog $18.

I got bored with MLB several years ago. In the games that went to I usually left after the 7th inning stretch.

Never watch it on TV anymore.

Very seldom is there really an exciting game. Most of the time it is a lot of nothing.

Baseball can be very exciting. However, it is mostly boring.

Way too many games;
Way too much down time between the catcher and the pitcher; the Astros had a conference nearly 4 times an inning during the world series it seems
The shift should stay; if you can’t manage to hit the ball opposite field, that isn’t the fault of the defense

One thing I think they could do to speed up the game (if that is the goal) is simply speed up the game. Less time between batters, less stepping out between the pitches, you get one visit per inning from the catcher or the manager outside of injuries…

One radical thing I’d like to see is that beyond first and 3rd base, there is no foul territory until you get to the fence.

I grew up loving baseball. Pitched in High Schools, coached Little League for ten years. At one time I could name the starting lineup for all the National League teams.

I once saw Jim Maloney pitch a no hitter.

I can get free tickets to the Tampa Bay Rays games anytime I want. Even with free tickets I still spend a lot of money going to game where parking is $20 and a hot dog $18.

I got bored with MLB several years ago. In the games that went to I usually left after the 7th inning stretch.

Never watch it on TV anymore.

Very seldom is there really an exciting game. Most of the time it is a lot of nothing.

Baseball can be very exciting. However, it is mostly boring.

You're a typical fan....priced out of an enterprise that is more about bilking cities out of tax money for stadiums, luxury boxes, exploding scoreboards and 4A players who wouldn't have gotten a sniff of the Show back in the day. I'm a Detroit fan and currently going through season #3 of a "rebuild" after Mike Ilitch (Little Ceasars pizza, also owns the Red Wings) died. He spent $85M of his own money to build Comerica Park and tried to win by luring free agents to play for the Tigers....$200M payroll in Detroit, not a large market, little to no TV money. He got us to two World Series, lost them both with a moron manager (Leyland) and now his kid has cut off the money and the winning. The good part is the whole league is cutting back, with one year contracts and no more guaranteed $20M-$30M to play 140 games, regardless of your production. MLB should go to the NFL model.....you don't produce, you get cut just like every other business in the world. That and get back to basic baseball, where the double play is turned, the OFer hits the cutoff man to cut off runs, and the batter runs hard to 1st every time. With less payroll, the teams then would have to cut the ticket, beer, and food prices so a working stiff can bring his family to 3 or 4 games a year instead of one.

2 and 3 --- OK sure, whatever.

#1 NO. Absolutely not. If anything dump it in the AL. It's bullshit.

It's not effective against everyone, only pull hitters. It would be useless against Dustin Pedroia. Ortiz wasn't a dead pull hitter, but rarely hit anything to the left side on the ground.

Ted Williams hit .344, and he was a 100% pure pull hitter, his entire career! (He hit exactly ONE home run to left field out of his 521.)

It's not effective against everyone, only pull hitters. It would be useless against Dustin Pedroia. Ortiz wasn't a dead pull hitter, but rarely hit anything to the left side on the ground.
Adapt or perish

The strategy-excitement level is off the charts in the NL. Do i pull the pitcher (who has a 2 hit shutout B5, but 93 pitches) for two on, 1 out but 1B open. Will they walk him? Most likely but i cant send up a stiff? Whats the weather? Whats the status? In the AL most of that is missing.

Other situations an NL manager can force the other teams decision. Literally get what you want for a small "price". A 1-0 game with 1 hit is exciting also.

Stupid rule changes? I'm still pissed about "defensive indifference" and this bullshit where you don't have to actually throw the ball to issue an intentional walk, whatever that's called.

Forum List

Back