Mitt Romney Sure Does Lie a Lot, Doesn't He?

By Kevin Drum

Paul Waldman has done a lot of academic research on political ads. In fact, he says, he has personally watched "every single presidential general election campaign ad ever aired since the first ones in 1952." So what does he think of Mitt Romney's new ad that claims President Obama has a plan for "dropping work requirements" for welfare? "Under Obama's plan," says the narrator, "you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

I've seen ads that were more inflammatory than this one, and ads that were in various ways more reprehensible than this one (not many, but some). But I cannot recall a single presidential campaign ad in the history of American politics that lied more blatantly than this one.​

This is what's so striking about Romney's campaign. As Paul says, it's common to twist and distort and cherry pick. But Romney has flatly claimed that Obama said something that, in fact, a John McCain aide said. He's snipped out sentences from an Obama speech and spliced the two halves back together so nobody could tell what he did. Then he did it again to another Obama speech. And he unequivocally said that Obama plans to drop work requirements for welfare even though he's done nothing of the sort.

This is a presidential candidate just baldly making stuff up on the assumption that nobody will ever know.

More: Mitt Romney Sure Does Lie a Lot, Doesn't He? | Mother Jones

Gee, I guess this means you aren't going to vote for him. :lol:

By Kevin Drum

Paul Waldman has done a lot of academic research on political ads. In fact, he says, he has personally watched "every single presidential general election campaign ad ever aired since the first ones in 1952." So what does he think of Mitt Romney's new ad that claims President Obama has a plan for "dropping work requirements" for welfare? "Under Obama's plan," says the narrator, "you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

I've seen ads that were more inflammatory than this one, and ads that were in various ways more reprehensible than this one (not many, but some). But I cannot recall a single presidential campaign ad in the history of American politics that lied more blatantly than this one.​

This is what's so striking about Romney's campaign. As Paul says, it's common to twist and distort and cherry pick. But Romney has flatly claimed that Obama said something that, in fact, a John McCain aide said. He's snipped out sentences from an Obama speech and spliced the two halves back together so nobody could tell what he did. Then he did it again to another Obama speech. And he unequivocally said that Obama plans to drop work requirements for welfare even though he's done nothing of the sort.

This is a presidential candidate just baldly making stuff up on the assumption that nobody will ever know.

Why don't you get a job tonto?

By Kevin Drum

Why don't you get a job tonto?

Well hello there, Racist Piece of Shit! Nice to meet you!

No. Mitt may not always be completely honest. Almost nobody in life is.

But Pres. Obama, by contrast, almost never can tell the truth.

Ah, I see. So it's okay when YOUR guy does it CUZ FUCK THE OTHER GUY!

Man you TeaBaggers are a blight.

Not even close to what I said, you public display of imbecility cockbite lying fuckwit pussy.

You suck at all you do in life.

You must be a whore.

Not even close to what I said, you public display of imbecility cockbite lying fuckwit pussy.

You must be a whore.

She is. And she insists that you help her pay for her birth control pills and dental dam.

You must be a whore.

No, that's PRECISELY what you said. And then you said a bunch of shit that doesn't matter.

The people he is trying to reach don't care if he is blantantly lying or not. They simply hate the fact that there is a xxxxxxxx in the White House and would vote for Satan himself if it meant the xxxxxxx was gone.

Has obammy stopped the rising of the seas yet?

Whew!!!!

You "conservatives" surely-do enjoy bragging-about Lil' Dumbya's fuck-ups.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0i4Sx1edJE]Global Warming and George Bush - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPuKxXUCPY]Climate Skeptic Richard Muller Admits Global Warming is Real and Humans are the Cause - YouTube[/ame]

eusa_doh.gif

The people he is trying to reach don't care if he is blantantly lying or not. They simply hate the fact that there is a xxxxxxxx in the White House and would vote for Satan himself if it meant the xxxxxxx was gone.

Amen!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah that is it..
you people can go to hell. and hopefully after November we won't have to hear this shit anymore..

then we can say, AMEN!

Last edited:
By Kevin Drum

Let's face a few well known facts. Romney has been a political chameleon for many years. Nowadays, he claims to be a conservative. That's a laugh. Even conservatives don't really believe that Romney has any convictions other than to do what it takes to get elected.

Probably more so than any politician I can think of off hand (including Newt Gingrich, for that matter), Romney lies about absolutely everything. That's unusual, even for a politician. But he's not even good at it. That should make his supporters stop and think about who it is that they're supporting. Because if Mitt gets elected, his promises won't mean a damn thing because his convictions aren't real. Romney could finish trashing the conservative brand that Bush spent 8 years damaging.

There is absolutely no doubt that Romney is a chronic liar! That's a well-documented fact. However, here is where I get confused: As a devout Mormon and former Bishop, how does he reconcile his lies with his religion? Are all Mormons chronic liars?

There is absolutely no doubt that Romney is a chronic liar! That's a well-documented fact. However, here is where I get confused: As a devout Mormon and former Bishop, how does he reconcile his lies with his religion? Are all Mormons chronic liars?

well you tell us how you justify your lying?
You care nothing that Obama lies to you..so get off your high horse..no one cares

By Kevin Drum

Boy talk about the pot calling the kettle black LOL:badgrin:

Forum List

Back