Misery index then and now!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
The US Misery Index is released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
This metric is calculated by adding the US inflation rate and the US unemployment rate.
The misery index can be used as a gauge at how the economy is doing. Because of the components, this indicator tends to be at its highest when inflation or unemployment has increased.
For example, one of the most notable time periods in regards to high inflation was the 1980s. The US misery index went as high as 21.98 in 1980.
Note the Misery index peak in 2020 was due to COVID shut down of the economy.
NOTE: though that starting in 2021 (UNDER BIDEN---) we are increasing the misery index.
MiseryIndex.png

This metric is calculated by adding the US inflation rate and the US unemployment rate.
The misery index can be used as a gauge at how the economy is doing. Because of the components, this indicator tends to be at its highest when inflation or unemployment has increased.
For example, one of the most notable time periods in regards to high inflation was the 1980s. The US misery index went as high as 21.98 in 1980.
NOTE: though that starting in 2021 (UNDER BIDEN---) we are increasing the misery index.
View attachment 558644

Gee, looks like we hit peak misery this year right around the time Joe promised us we'd all be out grilling steaks without masks for the 4th of July! Wonder which year he meant?!

71% say the country is on the wrong path. That's telling

New York Post : 54% disapprove of Biden job performance, 71% say US heading in the wrong direction: poll.

View attachment 558644
dems and a lot like a pandemic…they bring misery

Misery index, what a concept. I have a lot of trouble working my way up to the level of misery, I am supposed to feel. Just can't really get there. Tell you what. You guys can suffer and be miserable for me, while I keep having a good time. I really doubt being miserable is all it's cracked up to be, so I think I'll pass.

View attachment 558644
Thanks Trump!

donald-trump-responsibility.gif

Misery index, what a concept. I have a lot of trouble working my way up to the level of misery, I am supposed to feel. Just can't really get there. Tell you what. You guys can suffer and be miserable for me, while I keep having a good time. I really doubt being miserable is all it's cracked up to be, so I think I'll pass.
I never register on the misery index because I am not married.

View attachment 558644
So was it bad because of Reagan or Carter in 1980 and why?

A misery index of 21.98 in 1980?

Come on, Joe! You can do it! You're halfway there! :banana:

Gee, looks like we hit peak misery this year right around the time Joe promised us we'd all be out grilling steaks without masks for the 4th of July! Wonder which year he meant?!

Hey! We all saved $.16 on our July 4th BBQs. What more do you want for Pete's Sake?

View attachment 558644
Hopefully sassy and other repub traitors are the most miserable

View attachment 558644
Course this doesn't show October.
The last month has been every bit as bad as June of 2020.
It started with that memo calling parents Domestic Terrorists.
Massive inflation thanks to Biden cutting off domestic oil and natural gas.
Then there's the vaccine mandates and the pending firings.
All this month we've been finding out what Biden has been up to.....and now we've got an intentional supply shortage.

Last edited:
So was it bad because of Reagan or Carter in 1980 and why?
FACTs...are easy to find today using the Internet. I'd suggest you check the unemployment rate and inflation rate starting with Carter who like Biden will, lasted just 4 years. I lived through the Carter "sweater" chats...again look that up. Carter caused inflation and unemployment to zoom... Reagan inherited it and reduced both. FACTS. Here I'll help you!
historicalmiseryindex.png

FACTs...are easy to find today using the Internet. I'd suggest you check the unemployment rate and inflation rate starting with Carter who like Biden will, lasted just 4 years. I lived through the Carter "sweater" chats...again look that up. Carter caused inflation and unemployment to zoom... Reagan inherited it and reduced both. FACTS. Here I'll help you!
View attachment 558710
So you don't blame Reagan because he was new in office and you blame Carter who was president the previous four years before Reagan, yet, you now blame Biden who is new in office but not Trump who was president the last four years...You are very inconsistent, biased and not a guy you can trust...
It took six year during Reagan to bring it down but you want Biden to perform miracles with the economic mess Trump left....

So you don't blame Reagan because he was new in office and you blame Carter who was president the previous four years before Reagan, yet, you now blame Biden who is new in office but not Trump who was president the last four years...You are very inconsistent, biased and not a guy you can trust...
It took six year during Reagan to bring it down but you want Biden to perform miracles with the economic mess Trump left....

Please explain how Trump created an "economic mess."

Please explain how Trump created an "economic mess."
He managed to screw up the economy in 2020 to where it was in the negative GDP range. Gasoline inflated from .97 cents to $1.79, he paid people to sit at home and declared a national health emergency which cause society to shut down..

Forum List

Back