Minnesota cafe add minimum wage surcharge

Since minimum wage affects such a small portion of the population, the increases will be miniscule. 35 cents. He could have added 5 cents to each item on the menu and nobody would have batted an eye, but he wants to make a statement. Do you really think that our lowest paid workers don't deserve a raise? That they should lose income every year as inflation takes away more and more of their spending power?

Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be lived on, unless you work multiple jobs. If you want to make something of yourself, you should save the money you earn and apply it towards getting a better job. I don't know if they deserve a raise, but for darned sure they don't deserve to be making more than caregivers and CNAs.

Maybe there should be more of an incentive on both the Right and Left to lower inflation and stop digging ourselves deeper in debt. Minimum wage doesn't affect a small portion of the population, either, because there are many people earning minimum wage, and many other people that are affected by those who earn minimum wage.

I think more statements like this should be made. No one is entitled to a raise, let alone a job. With respect, I think people on the Left should be more open-minded about the consequences of continuously raising minimum wage. With minimum wage increasing, other costs increase as well to keep business owners from losing profit or going bankrupt. It's economics.

I was a NA before they were certified. We made minimum wage. CNAs don't make much more, if they do make more at all. By raising minimum wage, they get a raise, as do caregivers. And trust me, I know, most of them make minimum wage as well. My son is severely autistic. I know about caregivers. They are treated like crap. The company they work for charges the state (or they did a few years ago) more than $20.00 an hour, while paying the employee doing the work minimum wage. If you are working for yourself and get hired as a caregiver, the state still pays minimum wage, they pocket that extra money they pay the organizations that employ caregivers. What's more, before Andrew was placed, they wanted to end their contract with those organizations and make the parents find the caregivers themselves so the state could just pay minimum wage.

I personally, believe that in the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should be making a living wage. Plain and simple, they aren't.

No country can long survive with the majority of it's wealth in the hands of a few. (I can't remember who said that, I think it was Plato.)

Currently in WI the minimum wage is $7.25. The two jobs I work as a CNA pay $9.78 and $10.50, respectively.

I remember when I worked at Jimmy Johns six years ago. The raise I had received was eliminated by the increase in minimum wage, and the employer would not reinstate that raise. I don't make minimum wage as a CNA, and all the jobs I've researched and sent my resume to have been above the $9.40 limit, which is $2.15 above the current minimum.

Caregivers (which I am working as in both professions) do get treated like shit, are underpaid, and deal with a lot of crap. I have ZERO sympathy for the morons who complain about flipping burgers and sweeping floors. Let's see them using their digits to relieve a client suffering from autonomic dysreflexia, or toilet and spongebath a badly contracted client suffering from severe Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS). You're right about the state charging more, and if I figured out how to go self-employed I could literally charge $20-30 per hour. I'm pretty sure one could be self-employed as a caregiver/CNA and make some good money (this includes the cost of buying an LLC, different insurances, etc).

Last edited:
You've missing the point. Today minimum wage won't even support one person.

It will if you don't live above your means. You will be screwed if your car breaks down, or your washing machine or stove or something, but it is possible to raise a family on minimum wage.

I don't know where you live, but around here, to rent an apartment is $1,000 a month MINIMUM. That's just the apartment, that's not utilities, transportation, food, etc. and it's a one bedroom. More for a 2 bedroom. So no, you can't possibly raise a family on minimum wage, you can't even support yourself.

It's time to move! All of my bills a month don't come to 1,000 bucks. House payment is 375, electricity 150 and water 100...Only other bills that have to be paid that are not extras are food, gas and household items.

It's funny how the cost of living is so much less in the conservative south...I guess that's why we have so much more fun. :D

By having to pay his employees more, he's no longer able to pay them as much as he was. Now he has to offset the added expenditure by charging customers more to make up for the hit he's taking thanks to the passed legislature. This is what happens when you increase minimum wage. Expenses rise to make up for it.

Whether you are a liberal or a conservative, imagine what will happen if the minimum wage of all food service employees rose to $15 per hour. Just imagine the ramifications, please.

Okay, does anybody understand the above bolded sentence?

In SeaTac the minimum wage was raised to $15.00 an hour. So far the only consequence is a few servers are upset they aren't getting tips anymore.

If you can't see that one of the consequences is the fact that a 1 bedroom apartment costs 1k a month, then I'm sorry.

You've missing the point. Today minimum wage won't even support one person.

I actually know people in a single earner household that make minimum wage and manage to get by. The secret is not living in a city that forces poor people to beg for help.

link? or it didn't happen.

Does anybody seriously believe this?

I actually know folks who get by on minimum wage in a single earner household. I've helped folks fix their cars when they get in a bind because of that.

I would love to see minimum wage go up, but everything else will go up with it.(except my house payment, it's locked in for the next 18 years.:lol:)

It will if you don't live above your means. You will be screwed if your car breaks down, or your washing machine or stove or something, but it is possible to raise a family on minimum wage.

I don't know where you live, but around here, to rent an apartment is $1,000 a month MINIMUM. That's just the apartment, that's not utilities, transportation, food, etc. and it's a one bedroom. More for a 2 bedroom. So no, you can't possibly raise a family on minimum wage, you can't even support yourself.

It's time to move! All of my bills a month don't come to 1,000 bucks. House payment is 375, electricity 150 and water 100...Only other bills that have to be paid that are not extras are food, gas and household items.

It's funny how the cost of living is so much less in the conservative south...I guess that's why we have so much more fun. :D

Yeah, you're going to love it if all 320 million of us move there. Bet prices go up very quickly.

By having to pay his employees more, he's no longer able to pay them as much as he was. Now he has to offset the added expenditure by charging customers more to make up for the hit he's taking thanks to the passed legislature. This is what happens when you increase minimum wage. Expenses rise to make up for it.

Whether you are a liberal or a conservative, imagine what will happen if the minimum wage of all food service employees rose to $15 per hour. Just imagine the ramifications, please.

Okay, does anybody understand the above bolded sentence?

In SeaTac the minimum wage was raised to $15.00 an hour. So far the only consequence is a few servers are upset they aren't getting tips anymore.

If you can't see that one of the consequences is the fact that a 1 bedroom apartment costs 1k a month, then I'm sorry.

The apartments in SeaTac are even more expensive than here, and were before the raise to $15.00 an hour.

Since minimum wage affects such a small portion of the population, the increases will be miniscule. 35 cents. He could have added 5 cents to each item on the menu and nobody would have batted an eye, but he wants to make a statement. Do you really think that our lowest paid workers don't deserve a raise? That they should lose income every year as inflation takes away more and more of their spending power?

Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be lived on, unless you work multiple jobs. If you want to make something of yourself, you should save the money you earn and apply it towards getting a better job. I don't know if they deserve a raise, but for darned sure they don't deserve to be making more than caregivers and CNAs.

Maybe there should be more of an incentive on both the Right and Left to lower inflation and stop digging ourselves deeper in debt. Minimum wage doesn't affect a small portion of the population, either, because there are many people earning minimum wage, and many other people that are affected by those who earn minimum wage.

I think more statements like this should be made. No one is entitled to a raise, let alone a job. With respect, I think people on the Left should be more open-minded about the consequences of continuously raising minimum wage. With minimum wage increasing, other costs increase as well to keep business owners from losing profit or going bankrupt. It's economics.

Gee, it's funny, minimum wage has lost spending power and has not been raised, yet we have inflation and you expect those minimum wage workers to live on less and less every year.

And it's also funny how wages are so much less in the conservative south.

Only in the Wonderful Land of Conservatopia is making less somehow better than making more.

Gee, it's funny, minimum wage has lost spending power and has not been raised, yet we have inflation and you expect those minimum wage workers to live on less and less every year.

Well... I guess I'm conflicted on this complicated issue, because I don't understand it that well.

Everything keeps getting more expensive as inflation rises. I don't expect minimum wage workers to live on less and less every year. The jobs were never meant to be used to live on and raise a family. Whatever happened to the young teenagers who accompanied these jobs? Something happened which changed all of this.

I know a hell of a lot about health care, but not that much about economics and the politics involved. I do know that both the Right and the Left have caused this problem to worsen.

Yeah, you're going to love it if all 320 million of us move there. Bet prices go up very quickly.

Not for the stuff I buy, most of that I buy of the internet anyway. :D

-We make our own whiskey and our own smokes too, aint to many things these ole boys caint do- Hank Williams Jr.- A country boy can survive

We grow around 90% of what we eat, we know most of our neighbors, and we help each other out when somebody needs help.

We seem to enjoy our lives much more than Yankees for some reason.

I find it ironic that conservatives believe that workers should be paid little to no money for their work then bitch about all the crime in the poor areas. Hello????

If you're poor and your only two options are work honestly for $250/week before taxes or make $1,000/day dealing drugs, what would you choose?

Those are not the only two options.

For many yes it is.

If you live in a poor neighborhood, your schools don't get much tax revenue so you have poor facilities, outdated textbooks, and marginal teachers. So the school you attend becomes unaccredited. That means you can't go to college. So your options are those two above. Not everyone has great schools that they go to in this country.

Then enlist!

Seriously? You want me to post personal information about my friends in a public foum just so you can learn a fucking lesson in how stupid you are? Fuck off.

On the other hand, you could use the living wage calculator to educate herself.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

Did you read your site?

The minimum wage does not provide a living wage for most American families. A typical family of four (two working adults, two children) needs to work more than 3 full-time minimum-wage jobs (a 68-hour work week per working adult) to earn a living wage. Across all family sizes, the living wage exceeds the poverty threshold, often used to identify need. This means that families earning between the poverty threshold ($23,283 for two working adults, two children) and the median living wage ($51,224 for two working adults, two children per year before taxes), may fall short of the income and assistance they require to meet their basic needs.

That is because most American families live in the progressive idea of paradise. The ones that don't are the ones that don't fit into that "Most Americans" scenario you think proves you right.

Last edited:
I actually know people in a single earner household that make minimum wage and manage to get by. The secret is not living in a city that forces poor people to beg for help.

I actually know folks who get by on minimum wage in a single earner household. I've helped folks fix their cars when they get in a bind because of that.

I would love to see minimum wage go up, but everything else will go up with it.(except my house payment, it's locked in for the next 18 years.:lol:)

Yeah, automobile repairs are the biggest problem for minimum wage earners that I know in the south. On the other hand, the biggest concern in San Francisco is the rent, even though the minimum wage is $10.74. The rent is usually upwards of $1500. $800 hundred gets you a room in an SRO that doesn't even have a private bathroom, or a kitchen. $345 would get you a couch in someones garage.

Last edited:

Well... I guess I'm conflicted on this complicated issue, because I don't understand it that well.

Everything keeps getting more expensive as inflation rises. I don't expect minimum wage workers to live on less and less every year. The jobs were never meant to be used to live on and raise a family. Whatever happened to the young teenagers who accompanied these jobs? Something happened which changed all of this.

I know a hell of a lot about health care, but not that much about economics and the politics involved. I do know that both the Right and the Left have caused this problem to worsen.

How do you know that....if you don't know much about economics and the politics involved? I suspect that you WANT to believe it.

Fuck 'em, they're owned by right wing assholes who probably cheat on their taxes and charge 1,000% of their cost for soda and coffee. Let the owners serve the customers, clear the tables and put up with the complalnts.

BTW, I spent a week one night working at Applebees when they had a Tip a Cop evening (all tips when to police activities leagues). Servers have a very hard job and all we needed to do was keep up with them.

Thanks for making my point.

Idiots take offense.

The one on the top of your head? That's not my doing.

Forum List

Back