Minnesota cafe add minimum wage surcharge

I'm not certain you meant to imply this, but are you saying:

"Walmart is too big to Fail?"

like the banks, and has to have its own kind of government assistance?

I don't wish to speak for someone, but I believe he is asking how much would it cost taxpayers if wal-marts closed down? How much would taxpayers be paying workers who would then be unemployed?
But was that not the whole reason the government funded the banks the way they did with the bail out? They implied that it would have cost American citizens even MORE if we allowed them to go under and fail?

The banks and Wal-Mart are 2 totally different concepts.

I did not support the federal bank bailout, or the auto maker bailout, nor the usps bailout.

However, the bank bailout, and usps bailout at least made sense. Most people have money in the bank in some form or another, those who keep all their money there are just begging to go broke.

And the usps is a very important service to all Americans, though I personally could do without it.

I would have added $2.00 to every check....
If the customer complains I would say i'm doing my part to support the minimum wage increase.

Wages are a cost of doing business. This company is just doing the same thing the big corp's have been doing all along.

182956_10151464671115679_1090799790_n__1__zps470d306d.png

Hmmm ....

How much would it cost if they closed?

I'm not certain you meant to imply this, but are you saying:

"Walmart is too big to Fail?"

like the banks, and has to have its own kind of government assistance?

Gawd no!

I just think that saying that Wal-Mart's low wages "cost" taxpayers is silly. You could just as easily claim that their wages are supplementing welfare, that taxpayers would pay more if the employees were laid off.

That said, I totally get, and disapprove of, the fact that Wal-Mart's low wages are facilitated by the welfare state. I've always said that welfare's primary function is to sustain an underclass for exploitation.

I don't wish to speak for someone, but I believe he is asking how much would it cost taxpayers if wal-marts closed down? How much would taxpayers be paying workers who would then be unemployed?
But was that not the whole reason the government funded the banks the way they did with the bail out? They implied that it would have cost American citizens even MORE if we allowed them to go under and fail?

The banks and Wal-Mart are 2 totally different concepts.

I did not support the federal bank bailout, or the auto maker bailout, nor the usps bailout.

However, the bank bailout, and usps bailout at least made sense. Most people have money in the bank in some form or another, those who keep all their money there are just begging to go broke.

And the usps is a very important service to all Americans, though I personally could do without it.
I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread in to a discussion on the previous government bailouts!

My point with dblack, was the comment he/she? made seemed to imply that we citizens should be happy paying the federal and state welfare for Walmart's employees, because it would cost us tax payers and citizens EVEN MORE in Welfare costs, if Walmart closed its doors due to having to raise the wages of their employees....

thus, "too big to Fail".

I would have added $2.00 to every check....
If the customer complains I would say i'm doing my part to support the minimum wage increase.

And if I was a customer, I'd tell you to shove your restaurant up your ass.

Here's how I view the minimum wage hike and this Restaurant's reaction to it...

In the last 10 years, this restaurant has had to raise its food prices to cover a number of 'cost of goods' hikes and transportation/freight cost hikes and Utility prices going up etc etc etc.....

And did this restaurant add a surcharge to their customer's checks and state this is for the price of beef going up....you the customer will have a 35 cent surcharge added to your check? Or did they add a surcharge to their checks when the price of gasoline and transportation/frieght went up?

My guess is NO, they did NOT....they just raised the prices on their menu to cover the higher cost of goods, and frieght, and utilities....

Wages are a business expense, just as the cost of goods and all the other things I mentioned.

This restaurant CHOSE to handle this first minimum wage hike in 10 years for his employees in a POLITICAL manner and CHOSE to single out this cost of business hike differently than all of his other cost of business hikes he has experienced over the past 10 years, so that customers can be MAD at his minimum wage employees and point the finger at his minimum wage employees as if "they are the bad guys", while all of his other hikes, for other business expenses were NOT singled out in the same manner and just absorbed or just added to the prices of what he sells.

So, he's being a rear end hole for his political stances...which is in his rights to do...not saying he can't....but it appears very foolish to me....and if he gets heat for it, then he brought it upon himself.

Before the 1980's minimum wages were hiked regularly....10 cents and 25 cents at a time...which was not as eventful or stressing as these hikes that only come once every 10 years or so now...if there is going to be a federal minimum wage....not hiking it with the cost of living on a regular bases, is just plain wrong....and gives employers 10 year leeway of not having to raise their employees salaries...and then when the 10 years do come along, it gives the reason for employers to complain because it is such a large hike in such a short period of time.

Last edited:
Lol your pathetic attempt at insulting is commendable but it didn't work.

So please oh wise one tell me why everyone hates the idea of raising the minimum wage, which polls at a 70% approval rating.

What the fuck does that have to do with your attempt to explain away the increased business of this restaurant, oh font of changing the subject?

No, you just want to believe that everyone supporting this restaurant think the exact way you do.

However, I brought up a different point of view.

So here is a different way to look at it. A person hears about this minimum wage surcharge and thinks "I support the minimum wage hike and it's obvious that the business owner doesn't support it. I will visit this business and show with my wallet that I don't care about the additional charge and because I am willing to pay more, I will go to support this initiative and hopefully convince the owner that paying workers a decent wage is important to the success of our economy."

Couldn't a person think that and support that business with that thought process?

I do? That is a surprise to me, I thought that people just liked the food, not that they think like me. Then again, I actually believe people have free will. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that people are all idiots who cannot think logically.

You still haven't answered my question, despite your pathetic attempts to change the subject and blame me for things you cannot explain. Let me repeat it for you, assuming that your claim that the increased business is because people support the minimum wage increase, which this restaurant actually opposed, why would anyone think that one business is more deserving of extra business for complying with the law than any other?

Think you can actually address the question without blaming me for thinking things I never said?

Last edited:
So you pay a little more for food, big whoop. Non issue. Total non issue. And if you can't pay more then don't eat out. Eat mac and cheese... every day 3 x per day. Nobody can actually call a minimum wage "job" a job can they?

Forum List

Back